No announcement yet.

Celebrity Sightings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While, he is the founding father, technically he's no longer part of the Singapore Govt (though I understand that both former PMs continue to receive "staff support"). As such, the Govt should not be funding his trip to NY. Especially for this event, which, from what I read in the media, is very much a private event.

If SQ decides to give LKY a free upgrade, that is SQ's business. But as someone pointed out LKY should be more than financially well off enough to be able to afford to pay his way. My understanding is that he continues to receive a salary from being a standing MP and a tax-free pension as a former minister. For all we know, Ford may have given him the tickets to come receive the award.

Will be very curious to hear from 9V-SIA as to whether he had a whole section of J carved out for him and his entourage.

Comment

• Indeed that now both former PMs are only MPs, but thats the theoretical part. The reality part is that while they are only MPs, they are former PMs, and hence their security will still be paramount. Private visit or otherwise, the country will need to take care of them one way or another.

He might be paying for his own air tickets. He might not be. No difference IMO. Personally, I don't think he would be paying. Its likely the invitee pays for it.
      Life's A Bitch,
      Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

• For those who want a closer look at his LKY's TR, I refer you to The Sunday Times dated 23 Oct 2011 entitled " Living a life with no regrets".

Written by his daughter, while on the road, with her father.

IST-CDG?-JFK?-IAD?-EWR-SIN

I found it an enjoyable read and better than I can speculate.

As a child of the 60s, I have the greatest respect for the man.

The front cabin where he sat was not walled off for him.

I sat in the back cabin and could see him when I did my walk around the plane.

Didn't try to talk to him as I respect his privacy.

Can you imagine 100 PAx lining up for his autograph or wanting to take a picture with him?

I did ask the fabulous SQ girls whether it was going to be a stressful flight for them with him aboard.

Their answer was "No. Just another flight...."

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          For all we know, Ford may have given him the tickets to come receive the award.
          normally, with such awards, the practice is that award recipients are given a "stipend" which may or may not include air ticket prices. LKY would be accompanied by a bodyguard still, if i'm not mistaken.

Comment

• I took AK 717 from KL on Friday and sat next to Tony Fernades. Full of Air Asia branding all over him (Polo Shirt, Cap, Badge, etc).

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
              I took AK 717 from KL on Friday and sat next to Tony Fernades. Full of Air Asia branding all over him (Polo Shirt, Cap, Badge, etc).
              My dad runs his own business. He never leaves the house without wearing shirts or caps that have his logo on it. I'm used to it, but I still find it odd. I guess as the boss it's your job to create business, by any means possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                I took AK 717 from KL on Friday and sat next to Tony Fernades. Full of Air Asia branding all over him (Polo Shirt, Cap, Badge, etc).
                Was he in a hot seat?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  Was he in a hot seat?
                  Yes but his priority boarding seemed to be in a different category. Must be one of those famed life PPS thingy.

Comment

• Not technically a sighting but Tyra Banks is pictured here in Suites!

http://shopping.insing.com/feature/t...ks/id-d65b3f00

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ Queen View Post
                      Not technically a sighting but Tyra Banks is pictured here in Suites!

http://shopping.insing.com/feature/t...ks/id-d65b3f00
                      ...Harvard graduate...
                      hahahahaha She took the Corporate MBA Program:

http://www.exed.hbs.edu/programs/opm/Pages/default.aspx

She explains why the winners of Top Model are almost never seen again after the show airs, “It’s hard for models to have staying power in an age where everybody seems to be fascinated with celebrities. They are the people getting magazine covers and beauty campaigns. But our girls work a lot ― not necessarily the winners, just like American Idol, but the girl who went home fifth or sixth, yeah, she’s working a lot. What I’m really happy about is that the girls from our international versions are doing big fashion weeks ― they’re walking New York Fashion Week, Paris Fashion Week, Milan.”
                      That and they're not really model material...but they make for good (read: dumb) TV.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

• Was on SQ67 last night BCN-SIN. When I was queuing at the first class counter, the lady manning J counter asked and beckoned me over, "Are you Mr. cmy?"

Was taken aback that they were expecting me with my boarding pass printed. That was nice, till........boarding starts.

A little while after boarding started, I queued up in the priority lane and was singled out by the same ground staff to step forward and was attended to by a local SQ staff in suit. Hastily, he greeted me and says because there's Malaysian royalty on board and they requested for windows seats, I have to give up mine and took my boarding pass and crossed out 2F which I had pre-booked as the first passenger to book the flight and wrote 1D. That's it, no suggestions asking me if I wanted any other seats, just that I will see them on board.

Turns out that out of the 6 passengers, 1 was a SQ staffer (2C) and 1 SQ off-duty pilot (2A) and a passenger in 1A. When I voiced my displeasure in not having a window seat, the LS then proceeded to ask the off-duty pilot if he could swop seats with me, which he graciously did.

What I didn't understand is why didn't the ground staff try to assist me in securing a seat I want after being involuntary removed from my seat, leaving me with no options when they have 2 staff travelling in the same cabin?

Did a search online for the background of the Pahang royal family. The royalty are Pahang Sultanah in 1F (seems like a nice lady who devotes her time to social activities) and her only son (2F), a handsome young lad who studied in Eton apparently. Both were pretty unassuming without any bodyguards in the cabin. Awaiting them on arrival were a team of SQ officials and apparently Malaysia's Chief of Army...... Wonder what they were doing in Singapore as they seemed to be led to clear the customs while I took my Jetquay buggy.

Come to think of it, maybe I should had remained in 1D, how many people can spend 12 hours sleeping an aisle away from a Queen?
                        Last edited by cmy; 19 August 2012, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• Were you revenue pax?
                          If you were, I find it incredible that SQ gave preferential treatment to one pax over another because royalty status. It's not like she paid more than other pax.

They should have asked your permission/consent to swap rather than 'here, we have to change your seat because a queen wants your seat'.

If I were you, I would have shot an angry letter for an apology. They should be giving you a service recovery compensation.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                            Were you revenue pax?
                            If you were, I find it incredible that SQ gave preferential treatment to one pax over another because royalty status. It's not like she paid more than other pax.

They should have asked your permission/consent to swap rather than 'here, we have to change your seat because a queen wants your seat'.

If I were you, I would have shot an angry letter for an apology. They should be giving you a service recovery compensation.

This is a redemption ticket on KF miles. Maybe that's why I was treated second class.... Still, it doesn't feel good having to vacate my choice seat last minute at the gate just because of someone's preference. I wouldn't mind if I had to vacate a bassinet seat to someone in need though.

Comment

• Originally posted by cmy View Post
                              Turns out that out of the 6 passengers, 1 was a SQ staffer (2C) and 1 SQ off-duty pilot (2A) and a passenger in 1A. When I voiced my displeasure in not having a window seat, the LS then proceeded to ask the off-duty pilot if he could swop seats with me, which he graciously did.
                              Union agreements between management and staff. For certain categories such as pilots, agreements have to be adhered to. Certain seats are blocked and not released for sale on certain sectors.

In the past, check in staff could approach staff travelling in their attempts to resolve seating requests from revenue pax. However, some of these requests created issues: pilots were moved to a seat next to an infant, to a noisy pax.

To avoid all these bickering issues, unions & management agreed to allocate dedicated seats and will honour it, without putting the pilots through a position to decide. They could be very junior and very compliant and this offered opportunities for abuse by station staff at check in. Later, the pilots will file a report stating that their dedicated seats were taken away.

The unions have a point here. Allow management an inch and they will walk right over you. Just because you're a staff ( pilot ) does not make you a nobody.

Such 'accommodations' are best resolved by people who understand. In this respect, the negotiations between cabin crew and staff travelling is the right approach. Check in staff could have done the same... yet, the pilot/staff may not have presented themselves at check in, since these are seats that have already been preassigned and effective for the entire summer schedule.

There lies the difference between a well trained and experienced staff against an attitude of indifference... and the difference may well cost $$$ in compensation, customer satisfaction and loyalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Inflight Sup View Post
                                Union agreements between management and staff. For certain categories such as pilots, agreements have to be adhered to. Certain seats are blocked and not released for sale on certain sectors.

In the past, check in staff could approach staff travelling in their attempts to resolve seating requests from revenue pax. However, some of these requests created issues: pilots were moved to a seat next to an infant, to a noisy pax.

To avoid all these bickering issues, unions & management agreed to allocate dedicated seats and will honour it, without putting the pilots through a position to decide. They could be very junior and very compliant and this offered opportunities for abuse by station staff at check in. Later, the pilots will file a report stating that their dedicated seats were taken away.

The unions have a point here. Allow management an inch and they will walk right over you. Just because you're a staff ( pilot ) does not make you a nobody.

Such 'accommodations' are best resolved by people who understand. In this respect, the negotiations between cabin crew and staff travelling is the right approach. Check in staff could have done the same... yet, the pilot/staff may not have presented themselves at check in, since these are seats that have already been preassigned and effective for the entire summer schedule.

There lies the difference between a well trained and experienced staff against an attitude of indifference... and the difference may well cost $$$ in compensation, customer satisfaction and loyalty.
                                Thank you for your insights! I certainly learnt something today. I do appreciate the off-duty pilot for agreeing readily to swap seat with me.

I guess I was just taken aback by the vulgar way the gate agent did to my BP by crossing out my original seat number with a big cross and wrote the new seat number with a big circle around it. At least in Y, for seat reassignments previously, they issued new boarding passes to me..... This is just so unprofessional, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X