SQ321 LHR - SIN, 20 May 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ321 LHR - SIN, 20 May 2024

Just saw SQ posted on FB that the flight hit severe turbulence enroute and got diverted to BKK. There were injuries and a death.

Anyone know more of the incident?

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/artic...ere-turbulence

Aircraft involved 9V-SWM
    Last edited by SQ218; 21 May 2024, 07:24 PM.

News articles are just breaking about this incident. I can see the aircraft was a B77W 9V-SWM

Comment

There is a video circulating on “X” which also seems to have been picked up by Sky News (because why fact check anything?) which I am assuming that people are assuming is eyewitness footage from inside the plane during the moment of impact.

It will be obvious to people on this forum that it is NOT of an SQ interior, given the headrests are made of cheap blue vinyl, the tray tables are single-fold and there are no IFE systems.

Comment

Eyewitness quote via Reuters:

"So everyone seated and not wearing seatbelt was launched immediately into the ceiling."

"Some people hit their heads on the baggage cabins overhead and dented it, they hit the places where lights and masks are and broke straight through it."

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          Eyewitness quote via Reuters:

"So everyone seated and not wearing seatbelt was launched immediately into the ceiling."

"Some people hit their heads on the baggage cabins overhead and dented it, they hit the places where lights and masks are and broke straight through it."
          Let that be a lesson learned for belting up even with the seat belt sign off.

Comment

So shocked and sad to hear about this. Yes, definitely keep your seatbelt on when seated, even when the seatbelt sign is off.

A lot of coverage on PPRuNe. https://www.pprune.org/accidents-clo...-one-dead.html

Comment

It might be a while before SWM is back in regular service again. Looks like a lot of cabin damage to fix and systems to repair and test, like the oxygen masks. It appears there was a complete ceiling collapse in one of the galleys.

Comment

Aww this is so unlucky for SWM…just returned to service 3 weeks ago, most likely after a proper overhaul since it was doing preighter service during the pandemic.

there seem to be quite a few 77Ws out of action though, so maybe they’re not so fully utilised for now.

i wonder whether there was an element of pilot negligence in this case, because in my experience “clear air turbulence” (especially of this severity) doesn’t necessarily suddenly strike out of clear, calm skies. The air must have been at least a little choppy before.
                I personally find that on Sq they don’t take the “fasten seatbelt” thing seriously enough…many times, despite the captain turning on the sign, cabin crew still continue walking around doing their business as usual.

Comment

Just wondering if this could be a case of a computer malfunction on the aircraft. There was a similiar case of a Qantas aircraft that lost altitude suddenly due to a malfunction of air data sensor. Coincidentally, after sq6, this has been the next incident on a SIA aircraft with a loss of life and with a special livery as well. Would it be possible for the remaining Star alliance livery aircraft being sent to the paintshop ?

Comment

This news has made headlines throughout the world and US. Hard to imagine the plane affected was a plane that recently returned to revenue service after the pandemic.

It’s sad to hear one life was lost, but yesterday while driving home, I heard the person died from a heart attack (a 73-year old onboard). The rest all treated for medical injuries and I’m sure survived.

Folks blame climate change more as a result of this.

Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                    I personally find that on Sq they don’t take the “fasten seatbelt” thing seriously enough…many times, despite the captain turning on the sign, cabin crew still continue walking around doing their business as usual.
                    You can’t blame the crews. I flew Emirates twice recently between November 2023 & April 2024 (my parents alone in February 2024) & Lufthansa in December 2023 and turbulence can occur at any time even during meal service.

I remember flying back on January 2 from Frankfurt to SFO, the first few hours were very bumpy and sometimes even severe but on and off. They still served meals though and sometimes it can catch anybody off guard.

Even on my Emirates flight from SFO to DXB on March 2024, after the crews collected meals, I went to the lavatory and then the seatbelt sign came on as it became very bumpy so I managed to wash my hands and return to my seat as quickly as possible.

Comment

9V-SWM was flown back to Changi today as SQ9071 according to fr24.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                        So shocked and sad to hear about this. Yes, definitely keep your seatbelt on when seated, even when the seatbelt sign is off.

A lot of coverage on PPRuNe. https://www.pprune.org/accidents-clo...-one-dead.html
                        Apart from PPRuNe, there is also a lot of discussion ongoing of this incident on airliners.net.

When aviation-related incidents/accidents occur, these 2 are my go-to sources of information at the moment.

While there are posts on these sites from those outside the industry, including amateurs and passengers (The so-called SLF...), many of the posters on those 2 sites are either pilots or individuals very knowledgeable about aviation, so there are some very credible opinions there, although like anything on the internet, you have to filter out the rubbish as well.

Are there any other sites I should be following for aviation news and opinion?

Comment

Working...
                        X