Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ21/22/23/24 seasonal routing

Hi all,

does anyone know which time of year the SIN-JFK/EWR flights utilise the so-called “polar route”?

i haven’t seen them do that for quite awhile. They’re mostly flying eastward across the pacific and Canada to NY, and then across the Atlantic and Europe back to SIN. so I’m wondering if it’s a period of the year which I’ve overlooked.

also, not sure if anyone else here recalls the days when SQ22/21 was done by the old A340-500s - there were days when the flights could take up to 20 hours (I clearly recorded my flight as being 20h43m on 9V-SGC). But I’ve never seen the A350ULRs do that kind of duration. What’s different?

this is just a question out of curiosity. Thank you.

Not sure which seasons tend to see the polar routings but the A350 cruises about 4-5% faster than the A340 (M0.85-86 vs. M0.81-82).

It’s not too noticeable on most routes but once you hit the 20hr mark that’s a 1hr saving!

Comment

Originally posted by ell3 View Post
      Hi all,

does anyone know which time of year the SIN-JFK/EWR flights utilise the so-called “polar route”?

i haven’t seen them do that for quite awhile. They’re mostly flying eastward across the pacific and Canada to NY, and then across the Atlantic and Europe back to SIN. so I’m wondering if it’s a period of the year which I’ve overlooked.

also, not sure if anyone else here recalls the days when SQ22/21 was done by the old A340-500s - there were days when the flights could take up to 20 hours (I clearly recorded my flight as being 20h43m on 9V-SGC). But I’ve never seen the A350ULRs do that kind of duration. What’s different?

Most international carriers have been avoiding the Russian airspace since March 2022, including SIA which uses it for the New York polar routes.

Before 2022, the polar routes tend to be more common in the northern summer, where the eastward wind isn't so strong. On the contrast during winter, the return flight from NYC to SIN flies over Europe in about a similar 18hr duration despite being around 700 miles longer.

Comment

Originally posted by ell3 View Post
        Hi all,

To my knowledge I have never heard of a flight that ever took 20 hours or more. That's really pushing it. In Y class I'm sure that would be unbearable for that long.

Comment

Working...
        X