A380 'Glitch' Feb 18th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A380 'Glitch' Feb 18th

Singapore Airlines has encountered its first major technical glitch with its four-month-old A380 super jumbo, which forced it to cancel a flight from Singapore to Sydney last night leaving 70 passengers stranded without a hotel room.

The airline has confirmed it was forced to ground the Airbus jetliner overnight due to a problem with a fuel pump.

"It was a difficult delay. A problem presented with a fuel pump, and this is the sort of problem that doesn't show till engine start-up,'' said the airline's head of corporate affairs Stephen Forshaw
    http://business.smh.com.au/passenger...0219-1sz9.html

....leaving 70 passengers stranded without a hotel room....
    "Unfortunately, with the Singapore Airshow on this week, there were not sufficient hotel rooms to be able to accommodate those affected,'' he said....
    whilst not SQs fault, I would not be happy if I was one of the 70 passengers left without a hotel room overnight....I wonder what compensaton these passengers got for their discomfort, and also for being "downgraded from the 380 to the 747.

Comment

Originally posted by kpc View Post
      whilst not SQs fault, I would not be happy if I was one of the 70 passengers left without a hotel room overnight....I wonder what compensaton these passengers got for their discomfort, and also for being "downgraded from the 380 to the 747.
      what happened to the other aircraft? Why didn't they just use the other one instead of swapping to a B747. There has been quite a number of incidents with SQ's NEW aircrafts lately ... pump problems, rolling off the taxiway, engine surges

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
        what happened to the other aircraft?
        From the article:
        Given the Singapore Air's second A380 was undergoing maintenance, Mr Forshaw said the flight had to be replaced with a Boeing 747-400.

Comment

So, both A380s are out of commission! That's a pretty poor showing by Airbus.

Comment

Last friday I saw the two A380s parked next to each other at T3.

Comment

get well soon SKA!

Comment

this is the third problem for the SQ A380!

Comment

Originally posted by kpc View Post
                  From the article:
                  Sorry my bad... I tend to read too fast sometimes.. Not very good for A380 and SQ.

Comment

That got me thinking... How do SQ handle their aircraft rotation in a situation like this?

From the flight status on the SQ homepage...

SQ221 Departed SIN 19/02 05:02, arrived SYD 19/02 15:42

ok... so thats fair enough... but the return leg that was supposed to be handled by the a380 was SQ220...

SQ220 Departed SYD 19/02 09:35, arrived SIN19/02 14:21

So the return leg SQ220 departed SYD before the inbound flight had arrived? strange.... but then i'm no expert on aircraft rotations.

Comment

Originally posted by super bean flicker View Post
                      That got me thinking... How do SQ handle their aircraft rotation in a situation like this?

From the flight status on the SQ homepage...

SQ221 Departed SIN 19/02 05:02, arrived SYD 19/02 15:42

ok... so thats fair enough... but the return leg that was supposed to be handled by the a380 was SQ220...

SQ220 Departed SYD 19/02 09:35, arrived SIN19/02 14:21

So the return leg SQ220 departed SYD before the inbound flight had arrived? strange.... but then i'm no expert on aircraft rotations.

if you substitute the A380 with the a/c used for SQ219 the night before, and put the A380 on SQ232 (which was supposed to have been operated by the 744 coming in as SQ219) - it could work

Comment

Working...
                      X