Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long connection, luggage check in through or point to point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long connection, luggage check in through or point to point?

Hi guys.....
    Next month I'll travel from SIN to PHL via FRA and return from JFK to SIN via BKK and stop over in HKG on F redemption ticket.
    SQ26 SINFRA 28MAR 23:55 06:10+1
    LH426 FRAPHL 29MAR 13:05 17:05
    SQ25 JFKFRA 30MAR 21:05 11:15+1
    LH772 FRABKK 31MAR 22:35 13:55+1
    TG600 BKKHKG 02APR 08:00 11:45
    SQ861 HKGSIN 03APR 16:00 19:40
    (Thanks to SQ LPP for the complete briefing for "what should or should not do" on those flights )

The questions are:
    1. SIN-FRA-PHL.... what is the possibility of baggage lost if I check in them through to PHL? or it's better to check in them to FRA and I collect and re-check in them again in FRA?
    Same question for the return flight from JFK.

2. JFK-FRA-BKK-HKG..... in my ticket, FRA and BKK just a transit point, eventhough I'll overnight in BKK.
    Is that possible for me just to check in my luggage to BKK, and than re-check-in them again on the next morning? (JFK-FRA//FRA-BKK//BKK-HKG)

3. JFK-FRA-BKK-HKG..... about BP....
    I know because JFK-FRA on SQ and FRA-BKK on LH, I usually must collect the LH BP at FRA. It's no problem, because I'm connecting on the same day.
    The question is on BKK-HKG sector on TG. Should I collect my BP at transfer desk on the day I arrive, or I can check in later on the next day? Considering BKK is not a stop over on my ticket.

Thanks guys for any feedback for me.....

I'm not so sure about other airports, but most would only allow checking in of luggage and getting the boarding pass about 3 hours before the flight (at least that is what's true in US airports). Depending on the airport facilities outside of the transit area (there is usually better facilities inside), you would want to be inside the transit area rather than waiting outside (Like most US airports I've been to have absolutely nothing outside the transit area, no food or shops). Furthermore, you would have to cling on to your check-in luggage, which may be a hassle.

Not sure about your questions though, but these are some points to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
      1. SIN-FRA-PHL.... what is the possibility of baggage lost if I check in them through to PHL? or it's better to check in them to FRA and I collect and re-check in them again in FRA?
      Same question for the return flight from JFK.
      It's really up to you as you have plenty of time in FRA to collect and check-in luggage again. However, I would check them all the way through because (i) as fone says, check-in may not open until a few hours before the flight; and (ii) FRA doesn't have (as far as I know) a reputation for losing luggage. Of course, the usual precauations about checked-in luggage applies, i.e. make sure you're covered if your luggage does get lost (which can happen at any time).

2. JFK-FRA-BKK-HKG..... in my ticket, FRA and BKK just a transit point, eventhough I'll overnight in BKK.
      Is that possible for me just to check in my luggage to BKK, and than re-check-in them again on the next morning? (JFK-FRA//FRA-BKK//BKK-HKG)
      Yes of course.

3. JFK-FRA-BKK-HKG..... about BP....
      I know because JFK-FRA on SQ and FRA-BKK on LH, I usually must collect the LH BP at FRA. It's no problem, because I'm connecting on the same day.
      The question is on BKK-HKG sector on TG. Should I collect my BP at transfer desk on the day I arrive, or I can check in later on the next day? Considering BKK is not a stop over on my ticket.
      If by the time you get to BKK, I would try to get my BP at a transfer desk (if they will issue it then) to save time doing the same the next morning. If you can't get it issued then, just leave it until the next morning.

Comment

FONE, thanks for the thought... I agree with you.

Being got unpleasant experience of lost luggage twice because of a long connection at LGW and LHR on my last X'mas trip , this trip really make me worry...

JHM, thank you so much for your advices... I think I'll follow them...

Btw, being a transit F pax... is there any privilages at FRA to check-in my luggage and get the BP any time for my next LH connecting flight at F check in desk or at FCT after I arrived from my previous flight?? (any one can confirm this???)
        Last edited by Dent@SUB; 18 February 2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X