Why did SIA ordered MD-11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did SIA ordered MD-11?

Why did SIA ordered MD-11? All I only know is that SIA cancelled the order because of MD-11's poor performance.

The same reason they got the A340-300 and 777-200ER (9V-SV* series), SQ wanted an aircraft to operate long-thin routes (i.e. long-haul routes that couldn't quite justify using a big 747).

Comment

As you know, MD11 is perfect for cargo operation. Economically PAX operations were not economical. I believe that is the reason why SIA cancelled its order. They changed it to A340 and Boeing bought SIA's A340s and sold B777s to SIA.

Comment

were the A340-300's and B772ER's themselves replacements for SQ's DC-10 fleet?

Comment

I believe CDG was the key consideration (not entirely sure). When they found out that the MD-11 didn't meet the performance, they dropped it.

Not sure if the performance requirement was a full payload, all year round, both directions or not, but in any case, it didn't meet whatever SQ needed.

Comment

Ah, the Death Star!

Comment

Nevertheless, MD11 is the best looking aircraft haha.

Comment

yeah the md-11 indeed looks good. talking about that, SQ actually did operate the B757 in the 80s - imho one of the ugliest "modern" airliners that ever flew

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                  yeah the md-11 indeed looks good. talking about that, SQ actually did operate the B757 in the 80s - imho one of the ugliest "modern" airliners that ever flew
                  And was I glad when SQ decided to drop that for A310 instead. The wide body certainly feels more comfortable than the long and skinny 757.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                    And was I glad when SQ decided to drop that for A310 instead.
                    A310, that brings back memories. My first ever SQ flight was on an A310, to KUL.

When did they get rid of the last A310 ?.

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore Airlines View Post
                      Why did SIA ordered MD-11? All I only know is that SIA cancelled the order because of MD-11's poor performance.
                      I remember that SIA ordered 5 MD-11's and 15 options in januari 1990. During the test phase it was revealed that the aircraft had a shorter range and inefficient fuel burn. The SIA order was cancelled and ordered the A340 as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        A310, that brings back memories. My first ever SQ flight was on an A310, to KUL.

When did they get rid of the last A310 ?.
                        The 310 was a godsend to us in KUL.

Because it was 3 class, they would ALWAYS put PPS and those with connections onward from SIN in J, in the J seating area, even though it was sold as Y. You could call it a semi opup of sorts - and the most elegant solution to the problem of only having F/Y on the route. It was a VERY nice touch, one i was sad to see go

Today the only trace of some form of recognition/separation between the "connecting onward in J class" pax from the "shuttle pax only going KUL-SIN", both of whom are travelling the KUL-SIN leg in Y, is 1) the statusless use of the SKL in KUL, and 2) they won't turn you away if you show up at the F checkin counter.

Comment

Working...
                        X