Headsets to be only distributed after take-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headsets to be only distributed after take-off

Instead of being there when you board. This is part of a new procedure to prevent them being used during important phases of flight such as taxi, take-off and landing.

All IFE systems will be disabled just prior to landing after the pilot advises crew to go to landing stations as well. Some already do this anyway but I did enjoy having my map up just before arrival so I could see which way we are coming in.
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 21 January 2008, 09:55 PM.

I like to watch the end of my movie while landing!
    Hate when they shut off the IFE and I cannot see the end of a movie. What am I to do? Rent it to watch the last 5 minutes? For some movies, I could not even find them in my neighborhood...

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
      Hate when they shut off the IFE and I cannot see the end of a movie. What am I to do? Rent it to watch the last 5 minutes? For some movies, I could not even find them in my neighborhood...
      http://www.netflix.com

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
        Or else, take another SQ flight... so can finish the last 5-minutes of the movie.

Comment

This happened on my flight today. No headsets until after takeoff. I was quite disappointed because I like to watch the first 30 minutes of a film before takeoff so that I can finish it by the time dinner is served and go to sleep sooner.

Comment

Took SQ 15 as well as SQ12 recently, and yes the headset was given after taking off... But on both the flight map was on during take off and landing.

Comment

this isn't that new is it? If I remember correctly, my first SQ flight in 1998 they did the same thing, this was in Y btw

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
                this isn't that new is it? If I remember correctly, my first SQ flight in 1998 they did the same thing, this was in Y btw
                I asked whether the rule was imposed by SQ or by the government. He brought a printout of the new rule and read part of it to me. The effective date was 22 Jan 2008. I'm sure some crews were doing it before that.

Comment

I thought most carriers did the same thing as the ife doesnt get turned on until 15mins into flight.

The only times I had an active IFE on taxi was on the SQ 77W

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                    I thought most carriers did the same thing as the ife doesnt get turned on until 15mins into flight.
                    I think that varies by carrier. Certainly LH don't turn on IFE until well into flight. Sometimes 30 minutes or more.

Comment

I flew on SQ286 to SIN from AKL and the gave the headsets during taxi to the runway

Comment

Originally posted by ihjp View Post
                        I flew on SQ286 to SIN from AKL and the gave the headsets during taxi to the runway
                        Interesting...when was this flight? By the way, were you in Y or F/C?

Comment

I was traveling in Y SYD-SIN on Friday.

Prior to takeoff, they mentioned over the PA system that it was due to an IATA safety audit, or something like that.

It didn't bother me as I had my QC2

Comment

Originally posted by kelakwek View Post
                            It didn't bother me as I had my QC2
                            The new safety regulations based on the Audit prohibits the use of ANY headsets during the critical phase of the flight. This is to ensure that passengers can hear evacuation commands and be alert to the surroundings.

Comment

The latest update on this is asking Cabin Crew to be vigilant in ensuring passengers do not use any headsets prior to take off. The welcome announcement is to be tweaked to reflect this.

They are now allowing the crew to preset the F & J class headsets prior to take off on all sub 2.5 hour legs like BKK, DPS, BWN, SGN etc and can preset Economy class on SGN and 77W flights only.

Comment

Working...
                              X