Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HKG-SIN: UA F or SQ regional F

Hi Folks,

Can I ask for your advice? I'm flying HKG-SIN and am currently ticketed on United in F. The ANA tool is now showing availability on SQ F on both the flight operated by the 772 and the 773. My understanding is this would be the regional F seat. Obviously I'd love for availability to open up on the 747 flights, but as yet no luck there!

Therefore, do you think I should stick with my UA F suite or move over to the SQ F regional seat? The change would cost me £20GBP (~$40USD).

Many thanks!

For a flight that lasts three-something hours, I would consider the seat less of an issue than service and the soft product. I've loved being pampered by the F crew on flights of similar lengths (e.g., SIN-MNL and vice versa).

I'd switch.

Caveat: I haven't experienced UA F on an intra-Asia segment.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I would take SQ regional C over UA F without hesitation.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
        For a flight that lasts three-something hours, I would consider the seat less of an issue than service and the soft product. I've loved being pampered by the F crew on flights of similar lengths (e.g., SIN-MNL and vice versa).

I'd switch.

Caveat: I haven't experienced UA F on an intra-Asia segment.
        I agree with jjpb3 - it's not much of a decision. Unless I could know in advance I'd be flying with my last UA SIN-based crew - to say they were fantastic would be an understatement. Not "fantastic" in terms of UA crews, but "fantastic" in comparison to any airline.

Comment

I should start with the notion that UA F is not that bad, especially for the route SIN-HKG, SIN-NRT, or BKK-NRT. Again, it's a personal taste. And yes, agree with cawhite regarding the fact that certain crew would make a fantastic UA flight, i.e. will make us not noticing the other things like food, IFE. And, yes, UA has some ex-SQ FAs based in Asia.

I understand that many dislikes SQ regional F. But in this specific case HKG-SIN, I would suggest to take SQ instead of UA F. Again, we have to remember that it's possible that an anomaly might happen, i.e. an unsatisfactory flight. Again, percentage wise, or consistency wise, SQ F would be a better choice.
          Some of the reasons:
          • UA flies HKG-SIN at night with incoming aircraft from the US, and will arrive in Singapore around midnight. For me, if I am just doing HKG-SIN, I would rather arrive earlier in Singapore.
          • UA has a flat seat. Do you really need to sleep for this 3 hours so flight? SQ regional F seats are pretty comfortable to seat, even with 2-2-2 configuration. UA F seats seem to be narrower than the SQ regional F seats. And I just took UA F last night, and SQ regional F two weeks ago. So that's what I observe.
            Of course, if you get the SQ 744, it would be better.
          • UA IFE is lacking. Small screen and no AVOD. SQ regional has a bigger screen. So far at least I can watch one movie while meal is served. And of course, KrisWorld has more choices for movies, audio and tv programs, as well as games.
          • As I have mentioned, some UA crew are fantastic. But your probability to get consistent good crew would be on SQ. Yes, I had posted my bad SQ flights, but you have to know those few bad flights were from a very large sample of SQ flights that I took.
          • Looking at your handle, champagne would play a factor. Well, whether Dom Perignon or Krug, certainly beat what UA has to offer. I even think that the champagne on my BA F flight recently was not as pleasant as Dom or Krug. And, for sure, SQ crew loves to pamper you with these champagne, i.e. keep them flowing. Well, your fee to change the tix would be worth a bottle of Krug.
          • White wines and red wines, I am not too sure about them, since I have Krug most of the time.
          • I like SQ meals even when many in other forum had judged how bad SQ meals compare to other airlines. Again this is really personal taste. I know that on UA flight HKG-SIN, there will be one choice of Asian dishes. But from my experience, it's still not as good as on SQ.
            Desert? Again, even though others had mentioned it's bad on SQ, but I still like them.
          • Ex-HKG, you have the option for Book The Cook. I think this is an advantage, because it can be the back up plan. Of course not all BTC choices are good, but so far I always like what I ordered. And whn I fancy one from the regular menu, I would tell the FA that I am interested in having the meals from the regular menu.
          • I know that everyone agrees that SKL in HKG is bad. And many raves about TG Lounge, even UA Lounge at HKG. But for me, so far, when the time is right (not open certan hours), I would rather be at the VS lounge which can be accessed by SQ F pax. I do still not find any reasons to prefer TG lounge.
          Hope this will help. Hope I did not miss anything else to make the point.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
            [*] As I have mentioned, some UA crew are fantastic. But your probability to get consistent good crew would be on SQ. Yes, I had posted my bad SQ flights, but you have to know those few bad flights were from a very large sample of SQ flights that I took.

My last trip on UA HKG - SIN on J was a disappointment. I was seating near the emergency exit (I think) opposite the landing seats for crew. Two crew members were seated there way before landing...not that I bothered about that. One of the Singapore based FA was yelping like away loudly without due to considerations to the passengers around. I was trying to sleep with my blanket over head to keep out her noise. That didn't helped and I guessed she was in her natural state. However, I must say she is an exception and most UA FAs are not like her. SQ is generally more consistent.
            Last edited by LionCity; 25 November 2007, 09:31 AM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Kudos to CGK for his detailed reply.

My shorter answer: I would absolutely, without hesitation, take SQ F over UA F.

Comment

erm, i will take SQ F rather than UA F.

i have fly on United Airlines on a Singapore-Hongkong-Singapore flight last year december and its an Boeing 747. i personally don't really enjoy the flight. Meals are still okok but still not as great as SQ. =P Before you depart from HK airport, passengers will need to have their bags opened up to be checked just before enter the plane. Thats wad happened to me.. Reason for this is due to its an american airline.. you know, sercurity issues on american airlines due to the 9/11.... hahas abit out of topic.. ok, i flew on SQ previously to perth, tokyo and taipei, and i really enjoy the flight. oh yeah, i think is really worth spending $40USD to change your flight. hahas!

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts, especially CGK for such a detailed response, it really is very much appreciated.

Anyway, the change has been made! SQ F here I come!!

Comment

Originally posted by More Champagne Sir? View Post
                    SQ F here I come!!
                    So we can expect a TR from you, then?

Comment

Kudos on your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        So we can expect a TR from you, then?
                        I'm planning on doing a mega TR on:

LHR-HKG (NZ J)
                        HKG-SIN (SQ F)
                        SIN-CMB (SQ F)
                        CMB-SIN (EK J)
                        SIN-SYD (SQ J A380)
                        SYD-BKK (TG J)
                        BKK-MAD (TG J)
                        MAD-FRA (LH Y)
                        FRA-LHR (LH Y)
                        -couple of months later-
                        LHR-MAD (??)
                        MAD-MXP (AZ J)
                        MXP-JFK (DL J)

Thanks again guys!!

Comment

LHR-HKG (NZ J)
                          HKG-SIN (SQ F)
                          SIN-CMB (SQ F)
                          CMB-SIN (EK J)
                          SIN-SYD (SQ J A380)
                          SYD-BKK (TG J)
                          BKK-MAD (TG J)
                          MAD-FRA (LH Y)
                          FRA-LHR (LH Y)
                          -couple of months later-
                          LHR-MAD (??)
                          MAD-MXP (AZ J)
                          MXP-JFK (DL J)

Thanks again guys!!
                          I think I know what ticket is this.
                          Anyhow, LHR-HKG on NZ C, you will be invited to UA RCC. But we all know where to go at T3...

SIN-CMB unfortunately now is a 7am departure. Just breakfast. Will try to post the latest menu this week. Definitely a bottle of Dom or Krug should be enough before dealing with CMB transfer desk nor agent.

Comment

LHR-HKG (NZ J)
                            HKG-SIN (SQ F)
                            SIN-CMB (SQ F)
                            CMB-SIN (EK J)
                            SIN-SYD (SQ J A380)
                            SYD-BKK (TG J)
                            BKK-MAD (TG J)
                            MAD-FRA (LH Y)
                            FRA-LHR (LH Y)
                            -couple of months later-
                            LHR-MAD (??)
                            MAD-MXP (AZ J)
                            MXP-JFK (DL J)

Thanks again guys!!
                            Wow. That's quite a journey! Please do let us know how this very interesting trip goes.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                              I think I know what ticket is this.
                              Heheh...parts of it sound very familiar.

Comment

Working...
                              X