A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ321 on 12th June LHR-SIN

Flight delayed due to 'mechanical problem' for about 45mins.

Arrived in SIN and bags were delayed for about 45mins as well, passengers kept waiting...annoucement came loading device of the plane malfunction.

bags still came in order of Priority First Class, Priority Business Class and some Cabin Crew Bags...don't know how long did the rest still have to wait.

Comment

• Someone posted on TOFF that ZRH local newspaper mentioned SQ may cut down 2x daily 77W flights to daily A388. Which mean 2 or 3 77Ws may be freed up for other routes.

Hope zvevda has more reliable news.

Comment

• Originally posted by TerryK View Post
        Someone posted on TOFF that ZRH local newspaper mentioned SQ may cut down 2x daily 77W flights to daily A388. Which mean 2 or 3 77Ws may be freed up for other routes.

Hope zvevda has more reliable news.
        I don't have news, but I'll point out that reducing service from 2x daily 777-300ER to 1x daily WhaleJet would probably result in LX restarting service to SIN and the competition, while very good for passengers, would reduce yields for SQ.

I've recently been speculating that SQ might go from 2x daily 777-300ER service to 1x daily WhaleJet plus 1x daily 777-200ER. I don't think it's highly likely because it costs substantially more to operate 1 WhaleJet plus 1 777-200ER than 2 777-300ERs. 12 Suites would replace 16 new F, 60 new J plus 30 SpaceBeds would replace 84 new J, and about 200 more Y seats would be added. I doubt the increase in revenue would cover the increase in cost.

It's quite difficult to guess where SQ could profitably employ additional WhaleJets in the current economic climate. Most of the planned routes not already using WhaleJets cannot support one right now. My best guesses are still MEL and 2nd SYD, though SQ have enough WhaleJets to start either one of those now, however, substitutions would have to be made to pull one from service for more than a few hours.

Anyway, with delivery of 9V-SKI imminent, there should be an announcement soon.

Of course, no one knew the economic crisis was coming but, in retrospect, SQ would have been much better off exercising the 13 777-300ER options rather than the 9 WhaleJets options. I made the argument at the time, not based on premonition but based on risk assessment. For an airline, getting caught in a downturn with aircraft that are too large is disastrous. It seems the decision to not defer deliveries must be based on an expectation of imminent recovery.

If I were running SQ, I would defer the second tranche (as most of the other WhaleJet customers have done), try to accelerate A330 deliveries, and look for opportunities to take early delivery of additional 777-300ERs in case other airlines are canceling or deferring orders.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
          ....Anyway, with delivery of 9V-SKI imminent, there should be an announcement soon.......
          I am surprised that there is no announcement yet. SQ usually start marketing buzz weeks, if not months, in advance of the inaugural.

Comment

• http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/leben/re...story/10296537

http://www.20min.ch/news/kreuz_und_quer/story/22617222

It is actually a single source as the former quotes the latter.

Talking about September start date. Not sure how reliable those websites are.

Is ZRH even ready for A388?
            Last edited by TerryK; 1 July 2009, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I am surprised that there is no announcement yet. SQ usually start marketing buzz weeks, if not months, in advance of the inaugural.
              I agree TerryK, that is what is making me think it will be SYD that gets a second A380.

Whilst I am hoping it would be MEL I am not holding my breath. I have seen the full loads SQ238 from MEL regularly has, and have friends who report the same, but that is a 773. I can report the same for SQ227 from SIN and that is a 744. I have not known anyone who has travelled on those two flights in the last year who has not reported them at almost full.

I am not sure what SQ237 and SQ228 (the opposite legs to above) carry, but if the above flights are anything to go by I cannot understand SQ not introducing the A380 into a new market in MEL rather than a second to SYD.

I gave up trying to guess SQ's plane management after the last announcement of HKG getting the A380.

SQ238.

Comment

Talking about September start date. Not sure how reliable those websites are.
                Quoting an anonymous Swissport worker. Hmmm. Perhaps not very reliable. I note that a September start date would follow delivery of 9V-SKJ.

7 available WhaleJets are required to fly the current routes. SQ have 8, assuming none are in MX. By September, SQ will have 10. Adding only ZRH at that point would result in lower utilization than we saw prior to the delivery of 9V-SKG a few weeks ago. Utilization from the delivery of 9V-SKI in early July to the start date in September would be really low, with 2 or 3 WhaleJets sitting parked all day, every day.

I'm skeptical.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
                  Whilst I am hoping it would be MEL I am not holding my breath. I have seen the full loads SQ238 from MEL regularly has, and have friends who report the same, but that is a 773. I can report the same for SQ227 from SIN and that is a 744. I have not known anyone who has travelled on those two flights in the last year who has not reported them at almost full.

I am not sure what SQ237 and SQ228 (the opposite legs to above) carry, but if the above flights are anything to go by I cannot understand SQ not introducing the A380 into a new market in MEL rather than a second to SYD.

I gave up trying to guess SQ's plane management after the last announcement of HKG getting the A380.
                  Based on the limited information I have about loads and about zero information on yields, I would put a WhaleJet on SQ227/SQ228 and perhaps downgauge the other MEL flights. SQ really need the reconfigured 777-300s -- particularly for SIN-SYD/MEL/HKG/NRT/PVG/PEK/ICN/DEL/BOM.

The HKG flight was probably chosen primarily because it fits into the rotation so nicely together with CDG.

Comment

• I'm hoping the ZRH route remains with the current aircraft as my ATW itinerary is not set yet. Once I've pegged that segment, I'm happy for them to swap the A380 in.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

Is ZRH even ready for A388?
                      according to the articles you've cited: yes .

Comment

• That's the end of any chance for the SQ11 getting a 380 in the foreseeable future, then.....

Comment

• Originally posted by maxmin View Post
                          That's the end of any chance for the SQ11 getting a 380 in the foreseeable future, then.....
                          It's still just a rumour. Let's wait for the announcement.

Comment

• OK, alright...... sigh

Comment

• I just heard from SQ yesterday that from the delivery of the 11th A380 aircraft onwards, the entire upper deck will be fitted with J class, meaning, no more 88 Y class seats on upper deck.

The reason is the J class is very popular, with regards to the next new destination after Hong Kong, it is still unknown at the moment. Just heard that US airports are still not ready for A380, so we can rule out LAX, JFK & SFO for the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                                I just heard from SQ yesterday that from the delivery of the 11th A380 aircraft onwards, the entire upper deck will be fitted with J class, meaning, no more 88 Y class seats on upper deck.

The reason is the J class is very popular, with regards to the next new destination after Hong Kong, it is still unknown at the moment. Just heard that US airports are still not ready for A380, so we can rule out LAX, JFK & SFO for the moment.
                                Thats interesting in light of the current climate. Just wish they would name the next A380 route...

Comment

Working...
                                X