A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
    Yes! You have to sleep diagonal! Thanks to some very bright people at SQ, they though they could decrease seat pitch because the seat is so wide... Hasn't been a smart idea and I wish they would revise it. Afraid though, we will be stuck with the seat for the next 6 years...
    I think the new F and J seats are brilliant.

Originally posted by maxmin View Post
    I'm sorry, I meant, are these two critical to the launch of the Paris route. I think the answer is yes.
    Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
      I think the new F and J seats are brilliant.
      It's amazing that people keep complaining about these seats. If you're sitting in one of those seats, isn't there a lot to be happy about?

I still haven't decided if this is a sign that the complainant is incredibley lucky or incredibly unlucky.

Comment

For some, the glass is always half empty, no matter how large the glass. My favourite complaint about the new Suites was that they dodn't come with a private lav.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
          The new F has a pitch of 71" (5' 11" or 180cm). You only need to sleep diagonally if you are very tall, like over 5' 9" (175cm).
          5'9" is not especially tall.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
            5'9" is not especially tall.
            I think he meant it as a joke

Comment

Quick update MSN021 (Singapore Airlines) arrived in Toulouse on the 23rd May and delivery will most likely be Thursday

http://a380production.com/

http://www.pictaero.com/en/pictures/picture,43203

Comment

For the special front of row seats in Y, has anyone encountered problems with not being 21 and sitting in them. I'm not 21 yet and don't wanna waste 50SGD on it and not getting the priority seat allocated to me.

Comment

Originally Posted by Nick C
                  SKI will probably enter service on week 26/27 (1st/2nd weeks of July).

Sorry, I posted the following in reply to Nick C in the "Aircraft deliveries for 2009" thread, it probably belongs here instead.

That being the case, you would think SQ would announce the next destination they are going to fly the A380 to asap to create a bit of fanfare, unless of course it intends to add more on existing routes.

Is there any other routes SQ might replace existing flights with the A380 besides SYD?

SQ238.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ238 View Post
                    Is there any other routes SQ might replace existing flights with the A380 besides SYD?
                    In order to guess the next route to be served by the WhaleJet, the first place to start is with the current JumboJet routes: SIN-SYD, SIN-MEL, SIN-FRA-JFK, and SIN-NRT-LAX. Any of these seems much more likely that a route now served by 777-300ERs, but CGD proved that exceptions are possible.

Of the four, SIN-FRA-JFK seems the least likely. At FRA, SQ would have to use a remote stand and bus the passengers. Loads and yields for the FRA-JFK tag are poor, have never been great, and barely sustain the trip costs for the JumboJet in good times. I don't see how the 3-5% higher trip costs of the WhaleJet can be justified. The 777-300ER is the right aircraft for the FRA-JFK tag. I haven't seen recent numbers, but I hear that loads and yields for SIN-FRA are not great now for either SQ or LH. I think SQ will downgauge SQ25/26 to the 777-300ER and, when demand warrants it in the future, add a third daily 777-300ER flight.

SIN-NRT-LAX could be ok with 777-300ER in the current climate, but SQ have to deploy their WhaleJets somewhere. They won't just park them. SIN-NRT-LAX might fill the Y seats in a WhaleJet now that that SIN-TPE-LAX is gone and SIN-LAX nonstop is all Business Class. Filling the premium seats would be a challenge.

I still think the most likely next deployment is MEL, followed by a second daily SYD.

Comment

Looking at the SIA Cargo site it shows schedules and aircraft to be used up until Oct 24th-25th for all flights into Australia.

The exception being SQ237-238 SIN-MEL-SIN which only show schedules and aircraft until July 27th-28th and is serviced by the 773. Originally I assumed this was because of the 773 upgrades, and would show up as 77A soon, but flights SQ231-232 SIN-SYD-SIN show up as the new 77A until October 24th-25th, so why doesn't SQ237-238, and why is it the only flights not to show past the July dates?

If MEL was to get the A380 I would have thought it would be SQ227-228 which is serviced by the 744. Also if it was used on SQ227-228 it would sit idle in MEL for approx 10 hours. Could they fly SQ227 as the A380 and SQ237 as the 77A out of SIN and swap planes for the return flights SQ238 and SQ228?

Any thoughts appreciated.

SQ238.
                      Last edited by SQ238; 10 June 2009, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Looking at the SIA Cargo site it shows schedules and aircraft to be used up until Oct 24th-25th for all flights into Australia.

The exception being SQ237-238 SIN-MEL-SIN which only show schedules and aircraft until July 27th-28th and is serviced by the 773. Originally I assumed this was because of the 773 upgrades, and would show up as 77A soon, but flights SQ231-232 SIN-SYD-SIN show up as the new 77A until October 24th-25th, so why doesn't SQ237-238, and why is it the only flights not to show past the July dates?
                        It may be that SQ have been waiting until they know with more confidence (following the more than one month delay of 9V-SKG) when they will get 9V-SKI before updating the public schedule.

If MEL was to get the A380 I would have thought it would be SQ227-228 which is serviced by the 744. Also if it was used on SQ237-238 it would sit idle in MEL for approx 10 hours. Could they fly SQ227 as the A380 and SQ237 as the 77A out of SIN and swap planes for the return flights SQ238 and SQ228?
                        That's possible, but the 21:40 arrival of SQ228 may not be too late for the main bank of evening departures -- especially with little risk of a late departure from MEL. Also, SQ might be happy to leave a WhaleJet sitting at MEL all morning for the QF passengers to admire.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                          It may be that SQ have been waiting until they know with more confidence (following the more than one month delay of 9V-SKG) when they will get 9V-SKI before updating the public schedule.

That's possible, but the 21:40 arrival of SQ228 may not be too late for the main bank of evening departures -- especially with little risk of a late departure from MEL. Also, SQ might be happy to leave a WhaleJet sitting at MEL all morning for the QF passengers to admire.
                          zvezda,

Thanks once again for all your replies, great thoughts and insights to the working operations of SQ.

Cheers.

SQ238.

Comment

If MEL was to get the A380 I would have thought it would be SQ227-228 which is serviced by the 744. Also if it was used on SQ237-238 it would sit idle in MEL for approx 10 hours. Could they fly SQ227 as the A380 and SQ237 as the 77A out of SIN and swap planes for the return flights SQ238 and SQ228?

Any thoughts appreciated.

SQ238.
                            I think it is the SQ 0227/0228 plane that sits idle for 10 hours in Melbourne. How many aircraft would SQ need for this rotation? Considering the aircraft won't be able to do a turnaround in SIN back to MEL. Use the incoming plane from MEL to LHR or CDG maybe? Is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                              I think it is the SQ 0227/0228 plane that sits idle for 10 hours in Melbourne. How many aircraft would SQ need for this rotation? Considering the aircraft won't be able to do a turnaround in SIN back to MEL. Use the incoming plane from MEL to LHR or CDG maybe? Is this possible?
                              Thanks for the correction zilchster, they were the flight numbers I meant to put down.

I've edited my post for correct flight numbers.

SQ238.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                                Just 1 388. It's quite similar to the SQ221/222 ops. The aircraft will continue on to LHR/CDG/NRT or park in SIN for MX overnight.

Comment

Working...
                                X