No announcement yet.

A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I flew J on 9V-SKZ last week. The seat had a problem to return to upright position after putting it into bed mode. The “upright” button was not responding when pressed. The air stewardess was trying to work on it before we touched down. Finally, we decided to give it a try to upright the seat with me getting off the seat and somehow it works

It’s a new plane and I was surprised that the mechanism got faulty so fast. It could be I am too fat but I am just 81kg

Comment

• Originally posted by PCboy View Post
      I flew J on 9V-SKZ last week. The seat had a problem to return to upright position after putting it into bed mode. The “upright” button was not responding when pressed. The air stewardess was trying to work on it before we touched down. Finally, we decided to give it a try to upright the seat with me getting off the seat and somehow it works

It’s a new plane and I was surprised that the mechanism got faulty so fast. It could be I am too fat but I am just 81kg
      It could be that your bum is resting on the back rest and thus the safety mechanism disabled the back rest from becoming upright.. You need to move your bum downwards towards the seat!

Comment

• Can anyone tell me the configs of the following please.
        Singapore Airlines B777-312 9V-SYH, SYF, SYG, SYI, SYL
        Have looked on airfleets.com, but nothing.These aircraft are being used for the MNL-SIN route ( SQ921)

Comment

• Originally posted by bishop9011 View Post
          Can anyone tell me the configs of the following please.
          Singapore Airlines B777-312 9V-SYH, SYF, SYG, SYI, SYL
          Have looked on airfleets.com, but nothing.These aircraft are being used for the MNL-SIN route ( SQ921)
          Why on the A380 - Master Thread?

Anyways, refer to the SQ Fleet thread:
          http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1071
          Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Yesterday 10 Feb and tonight 11 Feb, SQ221 will be operated by A380 Layout 2 (9V-SKK), what an unfortunate for those who wished to fly with Layout 3...

Comment

• Which version will the A380 be for 20/02 at 11.45pm ( SQ322 SIN - LHR ) ?

Comment

• Still not assigned yet, I can check one or two days prior departure. As for tonight SQ322 will be served by 9V-SKZ, after serving PVG for the day, she is a new version of A380 fleet, layout 3. But it is subject to last minutes changes .

Comment

• Originally posted by bishop9011 View Post
                  Which version will the A380 be for 20/02 at 11.45pm ( SQ322 SIN - LHR ) ?

Still not assigned yet, I can check one or two days prior departure. As for tonight SQ322 will be served by 9V-SKZ, after serving PVG for the day, she is a new version of A380 fleet, layout 3. But it is subject to last minutes changes .

Comment

• So who is responsible for assigning the aircraft then ?

Comment

• Please move if this is not the best place for it, but it was just announced that the A380 line will cease production in 2021. No more A380s will be built:

https://twitter.com/AirbusPRESS/stat...11965434753026
                      https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/14/b....html?adkey=bn

Comment

• It seems so fast to the end of the A380, just about 11 years plus when SIA received its first A380. Airbus should be reeling from the heavy investment and development of the A380 and less than 300 were produced. But the A380 will still fly for another 20 to 25 years if oil prices remains current, or its life span will be very much shortened if oil prices goes up and new or improved larger twins comes in the market earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          It seems so fast to the end of the A380, just about 11 years plus when SIA received its first A380. Airbus should be reeling from the heavy investment and development of the A380 and less than 300 were produced. But the A380 will still fly for another 20 to 30 years.
                          Yes, I'm stunned that it ended so quickly! Probably the shortest-lived aircraft program in their history -- even shorter than the A340. In the following link there's an SQ angle:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...der-re-455756/

Airbus to axe A380 programme after Emirates order rejig

[...] But Singapore Airlines also highlighted the dearth of interest in the type when it withdrew some of its early A380s from service, which then struggled to find a buyer – eventually being allocated to part-out.
                          Was that really the case? SQ was always going to retire those, no? Given that they were early models and less efficient etc.? Anyhow, as I recall SQ was seeking a large widebody for decades (i.e., more than the 747-400 in size or capability), perhaps their interest in a hypothetical 777-10X might be relevant?

Comment

• The first 5 build of the A380s for SIA were leased for 10 years and SIA exercise its rights to return the lease as also the early build were heavier and had rewired wings. SIA did not need to look for buyers for these 5 A380s and they were returned to the lessor which could only lease out oneof the A380s and subsequently part-out 2 of the A380s.
                            SIA did replace these 5 earlier build A380s with an order for 5 new ones which have been delivered over the last year plus.
                            However there is no secondary market for the A380s as MAS and even Thai have been trying to unload later build A380s since a couple of years ago.

Comment

• It is a sad day to hear the death knell being sounded on a jet that has just broken into its teenage years. I clearly remember its first flight in 2005 when it gathered much press attention.
                              Unfortunately, this plane was designed and conceived in a period where the dynamics in airline business was going through much change. The A380 was designed on the projection that air travel would grow at a steady rate and slots at major hubs would be restricted.

What Airbus didn't foresee is the opening of secondary airports in major cities and the proliferation of budget carriers in Asia. Coupled with the huge improvement in engine and composite technology after A380 design was finalized, I was expecting this announcement to come for some time.
                              Definetely a sad day for aviationists

Comment

• Thanks for the explanation. Yes it is sad in the sense that a unique (in size) passenger airliner is "no more" -- although it will be around for years to come, in service. I do wonder though about airlines that rest their cachet on the Superjumbo. SQ for example having their Suites class. I suppose nothing really changes for the near-term, but it's clear that there will be no more of the same aircraft to come in the future. Would SQ ever deign to put their Suites on another aircraft type?

Comment

Working...
                                X