No announcement yet.

A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know the status of 9V-SKC? It's not listed as having flown anywhere for ages. Long-term inspections going on?

Comment

• Not sure if to use this thread or open a new one.

Parts for the last batch of 5 A380's for SQ have been spotted at TLS.

Comment

• When you mean "last batch", do you mean these will be the final 5 A380s SQ will receive?

Also, I reckon the A350 in the second picture is future 9V-SMK or 9V-SML.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          Does anyone know the status of 9V-SKC? It's not listed as having flown anywhere for ages. Long-term inspections going on?
          I don't see 9V-SKK for a long time also

Comment

• Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
            When you mean "last batch", do you mean these will be the final 5 A380s SQ will receive?

Also, I reckon the A350 in the second picture is future 9V-SMK or 9V-SML.
            The tail belongs to the first of five A380s that SQ has ordered. They are said to replace the first five in the fleet, SKA to SKE.

The two A350s in the picture are 9V-SMG and 9V-SMH. The photo was taken on 6 December. SMK is currently undergoing cabin fitting while SML is waiting to enter the paint hanger.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
              Not sure if to use this thread or open a new one.

Parts for the last batch of 5 A380's for SQ have been spotted at TLS.

When will the first one of those A380's enter service? They will feature new cabins right?
              Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQavgeek View Post
                When will the first one of those A380's enter service? They will feature new cabins right?
                from 2018 I think.

They will have a new cabin yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQavgeek View Post
                  SQ expects to receive the next batch of 5 A380s from 3Q2017 onwards. They will be doing a one-on-one swap with Airbus, so the first 5 A380s (9V-SKA - 9V-SKE) will be leaving as the new ones join.

These A380s will feature the new business and first class cabins as well, which will be unveiled this year.

Source: Singapore Airlines 2017 outlook: further pressure on yields as premium position is reinforced

Comment

• Singapore Airlines to reveal new A380 first class suites mid-2017

A Class Beyond A Class Beyond First?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                      I am definitely keen to see how these new suites will turn out. However, I personally don't feel it is right to have them on the upper deck. The front of the lower deck is definitely more spacious for them. Some airlines, such as LH, have had F on the upper deck of their 744s, and that seems way off when you go into that cabin. It just doesn't feel like F at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                        I am definitely keen to see how these new suites will turn out. However, I personally don't feel it is right to have them on the upper deck. The front of the lower deck is definitely more spacious for them. Some airlines, such as LH, have had F on the upper deck of their 744s, and that seems way off when you go into that cabin. It just doesn't feel like F at all.
                        Lufthansa has First Class on the Upper Deck of the A380. Thai Airways has First on the A380 Upper Deck and Emirates and Etihad have put it there as well.

The big change for Etihad was that they introduced a single aisle solution which allows 1-1 configurations.

Expect the total footprint of each Suite to increase dramatically: each suite will occupy much more space than today.

SQ has worked with a number of passengers to test and comment on the mock-up cabin in Changi.

Comment

• Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                          Lufthansa has First Class on the Upper Deck of the A380. Thai Airways has First on the A380 Upper Deck and Emirates and Etihad have put it there as well.

The big change for Etihad was that they introduced a single aisle solution which allows 1-1 configurations.

Expect the total footprint of each Suite to increase dramatically: each suite will occupy much more space than today.

SQ has worked with a number of passengers to test and comment on the mock-up cabin in Changi.
                          Exciting news - it all seems to point to an upper deck 1:1 layout. If my memory doesn't fail me I recall there was a mention to a revised number of suites down to 6-8. Looking at the current layout, the first J section on the upper deck hosts 4 rows which on a rough calculation amount to about 6.5 m of cabin length which could nicely fit 3 rows of 1:1 suites giving each more than 2.1m, with possibly equivalent width. Perhaps SQ could be exploring couple bookings on the same suite given the dimensions as otherwise sharing a bed would no longer be possible.

Would be interesting to see if there's any use for he space on each sides of the main staircase as well as any chance of a lounge/bar like EK/QR given J and F will now be on the same deck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaniard View Post
                            Perhaps SQ could be exploring couple bookings on the same suite given the dimensions as otherwise sharing a bed would no longer be possible.
                            Not needed as your assumption is incorrect. Even the much larger suites will be able to connect and you will still find a double bed.

There won't be any bar - that's middle-east bling and not supported by SQ.

Comment

• Some comments have it that the upper deck has more noise. Being in both J and R before I do find the front of the lower deck less noisy. When SQ first rolled out the A380 not many airports had the facility to handle the upper deck bridge. Perhaps these were the consideration back in 2007 configuration.

Well really am keen to see how the new configuration turns out. Only sad that the reduction means reduced redemptions

Comment

• I thought they might have liked the QF solution of putting the PEY cabin where the upper-Y cabin is currently. If R moves upstairs, it remains to be seen how Y and the lower deck in general will be arranged. Looks like Upper-Y will become a treasured memory...

Comment

Working...
                                X