No announcement yet.

A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines (SIA) has chosen the 40th anniversary celebrations of its flights between Singapore and London Heathrow, to confirm plans to introduce an Airbus A380 on the third of its daily flights before the end of this year.

Source: http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...380-to-london/

Comment

• Originally posted by itami View Post
      Singapore Airlines (SIA) has chosen the 40th anniversary celebrations of its flights between Singapore and London Heathrow, to confirm plans to introduce an Airbus A380 on the third of its daily flights before the end of this year.

oh wow, they are choosing to put the 388 on the LHR route (replacing the 77W) instead of the FRA route (replacing the 744) to compete with LH.

Comment

• Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
        I believe they were waiting for approval to fit the seats and that Airbus has agreed an exceptional approval. Interesting to see that the FAA propose a retroactive AD on the affected seats.
        I think that has been done.

Comment

• Originally posted by itami View Post
          Singapore Airlines (SIA) has chosen the 40th anniversary celebrations of its flights between Singapore and London Heathrow, to confirm plans to introduce an Airbus A380 on the third of its daily flights before the end of this year.

SINGAPORE AIRLINES TO BRING ADDITIONAL A380 TO LONDON

Posted 03/06/2011

The carrier, then known as Malaysia-Singapore Airlines, launched flights between the two cities in June 1971 initially operating three flights per week with a Boeing 707, which made intermediate stops in Bombay and Bahrain due to range issues. It has subsequently seen rapid growth and now operates three daily flights, carrying more than 370,000 O&D passengers in the past 12 months, with many more connecting on to other Asian destinations from Changi International Airport.

SIA has a 55 per cent share of this annual 672,000 O&D passenger market and utilises its Airbus A380s on two of its daily flights. The remaining flight is currently operated by a 777-300ER but its newly appointed General Manager for the UK and Ireland, PheeTeik Yeoh, has confirmed that this service will also be upgraded to the A380. “With the arrival of our twelfth A380 expected by the end of the year, we will soon see all our London Heathrow services operating this state of the art aircraft,” he said.

Comment

• SIA’s newly configured A380 set for Europe

Singapore Airlines is poised to bring its latest A380 superjumbo into London Heathrow and Zurich, featuring an all-business class upper deck.

As readers may remember, the carrier’s latest batch of A380s (now being delivered from the Airbus factory in Toulouse) comprise business class seating along the entire upper deck. It means that business class capacity increases from 60 to 86 seats while the number of economy class seats is cut from 399 to 311.

SIA has designated these newer A380s (which have the larger business cabin to meet demand) to cover routes out of Singapore to prime commercial cities in Australia, Europe and the USA.

Sydney was the first destination to see the latest A380 with Los Angeles (via Tokyo Narita) having recently come on line.

And now, according to airlineroute.net SIA plans to bring its new A380s into London Heathrow and Zurich with effect from October 1.

Business Traveller has checked the seating plans on singaporeair.com for dates in October and the extended business class upper deck A380 is shown as operating:

Singapore-London flight SQ318 at 1245, returning with SQ321 out of Heathrow at 2205
            Singapore-Zurich with SQ346 at 0120, returning home with SQ345 at 1145

Details of other European routes likely to see the new A380s remain a secret. But do not be surprised to see this aircraft eventually taking over additional services into London Heathrow and being rostered for Frankfurt and Paris CDG too.

Drawbacks? Business class passengers are the clear winners here. But canny economy class passengers will lament the fact that SIA’s cosy (economy class) cabin at the rear of the upper deck will disappear. Economy class passengers will now have to sit downstairs.

One word of caution. Airlines can and do make aircraft changes from time to time for operational reasons. So please bear this fact in mind.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...set-for-europe

Comment

• I was on SQ 861 yesterday (HKG to SIN) and the A380 had to stay still in mid-air because the air space was closed for a good 15 minutes due to the NDP.

Pardon me for being a noob but can someone enlighten me on how can an airplane hold its position in mid air for 10 minutes because I didn't know that it is even possible? I swear the plane was not moving or maybe the clouds were playing tricks on my eyes.. hmmm

Comment

• Originally posted by charvy View Post
                I was on SQ 861 yesterday (HKG to SIN) and the A380 had to stay still in mid-air because the air space was closed for a good 15 minutes due to the NDP.

Pardon me for being a noob but can someone enlighten me on how can an airplane hold its position in mid air for 10 minutes because I didn't know that it is even possible? I swear the plane was not moving or maybe the clouds were playing tricks on my eyes.. hmmm
                They go into a holding pattern.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                  They go into a holding pattern.
                  ahh.. thank you for the enlightenment.

Comment

• A380 off the MEL-SIN-MEL route for the Winter travel period......

SQ227/238 - 777-300 instead of the A380 from 15th Jan to 25th March.

SQ website shows the A380 back on the 25th of March.

I wonder if the older A380's are due for their first D check ?

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyBoy View Post
                      A380 off the MEL-SIN-MEL route for the Winter travel period......

SQ227/238 - 777-300 instead of the A380 from 15th Jan to 25th March.

SQ website shows the A380 back on the 25th of March.

I wonder if the older A380's are due for their first D check ?
                      D check not so soon.

Comment

• Perhaps they will be launching a new A380 route on 15 Jan. And at that time, they don't have enough A380s so they have to take from MEL. By March, there will be new deliveries so the plane can be deployed back to MEL.

Comment

• The constant equipment swapping on the MEL route never stops with SQ.

Emirates - Has now got my future business for Europe trips!

Bye bye SQ

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyBoy View Post
                            The constant equipment swapping on the MEL route never stops with SQ.

Emirates - Has now got my future business for Europe trips!

Bye bye SQ
                            Let me know how they compare- I'm seriously considering following you! I don't think SQ seem to have any interest in Melbourne clientele anymore as shown by the way we get treated as a dumping ground for old, tired planes. Every couple of weeks, SQ228 gets assigned an unrefurbed 773. Great service if that happens to be the day your flight is...

Comment

• 9V-SKN is back in Toulouse and being prepared for delivery ahead of 9V-SKM. Delivery should be within a week.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQKevin View Post
                                9V-SKN is back in Toulouse and being prepared for delivery ahead of 9V-SKM. Delivery should be within a week.
                                Why is it being delivered before SKM please?

Comment

Working...
                                X