A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQKevin View Post
    9V-SKL made her first flight today and has been flown to XFW for outfitting.
    Airbus recently confirmed that they hope to deliver a total of 20 WhaleJets this year. 10 have already been delivered. With the arrival of 9V-SKL, there are now 11 at XFB for outfitting. Since Airbus have more experience outfitting the EK and SQ birds than those of AF or LH, we might guess that 9V-SKL might be completed before one of the birds that arrived before her and thereby make it into the 20 that will hopefully be delivered by the end of the year. The problem with that theory is that the only AF WhaleJet at XFB is already on the flightline and due to be delivered next month while the only two LH WhaleJets at XFB have been there since Feb and April and are due for delivery in this month and September. The only bird that 9V-SKL could conceivably slip past for a 2010 delivery is MSN055, a QF bird which arrived at XFB a week ago. As she will be QF's 9th WhaleJet, I cannot think of a reason why Airbus would be able to outfit one for SQ significantly faster than for QF. There should not be a big learning curve difference between 9th and 12th in the delivery sequences.

More than the question of whether 9V-SKL will be delivered in last 2010 or early 2011, I'm interested in the elapsed time before the delivery of 9V-SKL and that of 9V-SKN.

Comment

• Are first 10 A380s still considered first tranche? Next 9 A380s second tranche?

Earlier in this thread, there was mention of possible changes to the seat configuration

ie upper deck all biz class, F replacing R.

Friend who flies R tells me it's difficult to book it to LHR, CDG and ZRH.

If he's right, R will remain.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        Are first 10 A380s still considered first tranche? Next 9 A380s second tranche?
        Yes, by definition. It's a matter of when they were ordered.

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
        Earlier in this thread, there was mention of possible changes to the seat configuration
        9V-SKL, 9V-SKM, and 9V-SKN will have the same seating configuration as the first 12. I would be surprised if the last four get a different configuration.

Comment

Are first 10 A380s still considered first tranche? Next 9 A380s second tranche?
          To follow on. Airbus delivered all the 10 aircraft from SQ's first order last year. -SKK comes from the second order of 9 aircraft. Had there been no deferments from the other airlines (VS, MH, CZ...), -SKK would have been delivered slightly later

IMO, the 471 seat configuration is just about right for 19 aircraft. It would be foolish just to have a small subfleet with a different config. Unless SQ exercises the 6 options, then a separate config is more likely possible (Like QF).

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
          9V-SKL, 9V-SKM, and 9V-SKN will have the same seating configuration as the first 12. I would be surprised if the last four get a different configuration.
          Too long away from SQT makes your alphabet a little iffy You missed out #19 -SKS. (Plus XFB )
          Last edited by Nick C; 24 July 2010, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Because of Paul, Singaporeans have lost the use of the slang "Blur like sotong"
            Yeah now the main thing on people's lips are the words "Broke because of the sotong!" considering how many people lost money on the WC this year!
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

• New to this board - I was curious to see if any one has heard if SQ is sticking 19 (?) 388s or if they have signed up for more? I heard from some sources the number is up to 23 now with last delivery in October 2013. Anyone who can confirm or deny?

Comment

• Originally posted by zackster View Post
                New to this board - I was curious to see if any one has heard if SQ is sticking 19 (?) 388s or if they have signed up for more? I heard from some sources the number is up to 23 now with last delivery in October 2013. Anyone who can confirm or deny?
                SQ have ordered 19 WhaleJets. The last one is scheduled for delivery in 2012. They have six options which probably will be exercised if and only if the payload/range performance can be improved to serve SFO/LAX-SIN nonstop with a commercially viable load and with the current fuel capacity.

Comment

• 9V-SKS, SQ's last WhaleJet, is due for delivery in January 2012.

Comment

• MEL to get another A380?

For what its worth, this article says a 2nd MEL A380 service may be on the cards.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225921436748

SINGAPORE Airlines' decision to stick with premium services is paying off as it launches a second A380 daily service from Sydney in October.

Singapore maintained its focus on business and first class travel during the global financial crisis even as other airlines, including Qantas, announced plans to reduce or ditch first class.

It now says the market has proved its decision to be right, and the company is looking at putting another superjumbo on the Melbourne route.
                    F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

• In my opinion, it's likely that MEL will get a second daily WhaleJet service, but not with the introduction of 9V-SKM and 9V-SKN. I expect it will happen about October or November 2011.

Comment

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/marc_sc...n/photostream/

Here is a photo of 9V-SKM at TLS with her nacelles open, in preparation for engine tests (probably next week), taxi tests, first flight, and delivery to XFW (probably before the end of the month). 9V-SKN will probably have her rollout soon.

Scheduled delivery of 9V-SKM in January and 9V-SKN in February is no longer plausible. It will be a challenge to deliver either 9V-SKL by the end of this calendar year or 9V-SKN by the end of this fiscal year.

Comment

• Sorry to be off topic but why do they paint the tail separate? Why not just paint it when they do the fuselage?

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                            Sorry to be off topic but why do they paint the tail separate? Why not just paint it when they do the fuselage?
                            Balance.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                              Balance.
                              Errrr, no

There are more moving pieces in the tail construction and the paintwork is (usually) more intricate, so it is much trickier to do once it's been attached to the rest of the plane... It's also great marketing of course to have it done as early as possible

Comment

• Bit of both balance and marketing - you can't balance the rudder until finished in its final paint, and I guess it makes sense to pain the rest of the tail to make it look neater and for marketing.

Comment

Working...
                                X