Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skip OLCI to increase chances of an op-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip OLCI to increase chances of an op-up?

Originally posted by simong View Post
    Seq Number 61 and 261??!?! You should be ashamed!
    LOL I never check in online even though I have the chance, coz I wanna have the chance to get op-up while check-in at the counter...so far, never worked...duh!
    Last edited by jjpb3; 18 November 2007, 12:27 AM. Reason: adjustments for starting a new thread

Originally posted by quik! View Post
    LOL I never check in online even though I have the chance, coz I wanna have the chance to get op-up while check-in at the counter...so far, never worked...duh!
    There's also the theory that you'd be more likely to be op-upped if you'd OLCIed since they know that you're deffo going to be on the flight. Who knows whether there's any truth in it, but hey I've been op-uped twice on SQ and I always OLCI prior.

Op ups... it's a dark art.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Indeed.. on most occasions, and on most airlines, op-ups are allocated several hours before the flight, according to status, etc. OLCI makes no difference.. though as Keith said, OLCI does at least confirm you're flying...
      If you have OLCI and bypass check-in, and you've been op-up'd, at somepoint along your airport journey - usually at the gate - your BP will be scanned and you will hear that wonderful "ping" sound!

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
        Indeed.. on most occasions, and on most airlines, op-ups are allocated several hours before the flight, according to status, etc. OLCI makes no difference.. though as Keith said, OLCI does at least confirm you're flying...
        If you have OLCI and bypass check-in, and you've been op-up'd, at somepoint along your airport journey - usually at the gate - your BP will be scanned and you will hear that wonderful "ping" sound!
        Glad you got the op-ups. My experiences with SQ is op-ups at the gate and never at the counter. But don't have had any ops-up experiences in the past 3 and half years since becoming PPS. There is always a TPPS and a larger numbered QPPS ahead. If anyone got any idea of how to improve my chances moving from J to F, pls let me know. But chances of success for me...not realistic.

Comment

With the new PPS Value system, how does happen op-ups work? Purely on value?

Comment

I'm not entirely convinced that OLCI helps nor hinders.

I do think they wait as long as they can, before actioning opups - and it comes from the pool of elites. If you're going to get one, you could check in 48 hours or 1 hour earlier - it makes no difference.

If you're planning to hold off say checking in oversold Y in order to get into J, and there's a higher tiered member already checked in - all you do is move the higher tiered member into a possible upgrade situation, and he or she gets it at the gate, not you. on SQ - timing is not everything, at least in this regard.

Comment

I do know that AA orders their op-ups by status, then OLCI order. They way I look at it, it can't hurt you.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                I do know that AA orders their op-ups by status, then OLCI order. They way I look at it, it can't hurt you.
                With AA (and I believe a lot of US carriers), op-ups rarely happen but for a very different reason. Free upgrades are an official perk of status on AA (if you're EXP you have no need for SWUs or stickers altogether for domestic upgrades - just say 'please!'), rather than an exception to the rule. The EVIP/SWU upgrades are confirmed in advanced so long as seats are available (upgrades to First even confirm into a revenue fare bucket - A!), others processed in the time frame before check in opens. Otherwise you're meant to place yourself on the airport waitlist at check in. And there is even an 'upgrade list' in action at the gate where they let you know how far away you are from getting upgraded. Upgrades often confirm on status first, then the order in which the upgrade requests were made. In my view these are more requested upgrades than op-ups, as they are actually expected rather than treated as a once in a blue moon surprise, and certainly not just given out to rectify overbookings.
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 November 2007, 10:47 AM. Reason: wording
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Very well put, KeithMEL!

I have been told many times (and experienced it for myself) that the order even to the upgrade requests is status then OLCI time it is this that determines the list at the gate. If I purchased my ticket 10 months in advance and made my upgrade request at that time it doesn't mean anything if I don't OLCI and someone else does. That other person will always be ahead of me provided they are the same status (or above, of course).
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    I have been told many times (and experienced it for myself) that the order even to the upgrade requests is status then OLCI time it is this that determines the list at the gate. If I purchased my ticket 10 months in advance and made my upgrade request at that time it doesn't mean anything if I don't OLCI and someone else does. That other person will always be ahead of me provided they are the same status (or above, of course).
                    AA IT can get very quirky. If you're referring to 'sticker' upgrades - that's not supposed to happen but it is unfortunately the way it happens. Similarly if someone else applies an EVIP for you but waitlisting is necessary - your priority on the waitlist is determined by YOUR status not their status. And if they're in the same PNR (both EVIP or stickers) - the entire booking gets dragged down to whoever is holding the lower status. *deep breaths*

Going back to SQ... I think the radically different upgrade culture here does have a lot to do with why people are much more willing to actually pay for travel up front as it preserves premium cabin integrity.
                    Last edited by KeithMEL; 18 November 2007, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
                      If anyone got any idea of how to improve my chances moving from J to F, pls let me know. But chances of success for me...not realistic.
                      I got a J to F op up on FRA-JFK earlier this year. This was unusual as this flight is rarely anything like full in J but it was Easter week and every single seat was occupied.

One theory previously menetioned in not having BTC increases your chances. I've no idea if this is correct, I hadn't BTC'd when I got the op-up.

Comment

Working...
                      X