Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 years old 747-412 still counted as safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
    Yeah, I'm not so lucky to be able to go to DPRK. Neither do I have the ability to post such a nice TR.
    thx... I strongly regret I did not take more pics of Air Koryo's IL- 62s and its pretty FAs though

Yeah. Those IL-62s from the 1960s...
    JS actually operates the IL-62M variant which is from the early 1970s... not that bad ... according to wikipedia they have 2 Tupolev Tu 204-300 on order (from late 1980s) as the "newest" addition to their fleet

I loved the sound of the IL 62 engines though... not sth you hear everyday...

Sorry slightly off topic...
    Last edited by SQOZflyer; 5 September 2007, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyonite View Post
      just wondering...singapore airline operating 747-412 on sin-melb (the plane's fist flight was on 1996, 10 years old) ... still safe?

anybody here scared of flying? how did you guyz cope with it.....

thanks....
      Hi!! Dear friends, don't worry, trust SQ's maintainence team, SQ's 747 is surely safe.

If 10 yrs you feel worry. I think I would be more anxious than you, I am from HK, our flag carrier, so-called '2006 Best Airline of the World',still running the old 1988 manufactured 747-400, the newest one is just 1995, so you can think whether you should afraid or all HongKongers should afraid? Ha!!Ha!!

Comment

haha

That's right..in the worst case scenario, you'll never know what hit you. [/QUOTE]

haha ** reply makes me laughed for about 10mins... i should print this out and bring it with me on board. better then some of the movies on krisworld.

Just checked in online, sitting on the LAST ROW!! haha gonna make me vomit for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          I would be flabbergasted, as SQ have no intention of keeping the 744's for another 10 years.
          Well, i heard they are converting them to freighters. They would sell off a few of the converted ones and keep some.

As for the A345 maintanence programme, they are precious aircraft to SQ. We have only 5 of them so if one is grounded, they better pray hard the other four is running fine. It happened twice this year and they had to replace the flights with B777-200ER meaning money and reputation lost. And Airbus is known to be passenger friendly but nightmares for the Mechanics.

As for the jumbos, it's practically maintenance free and everything is straightforward! And the design is pure classic, so elegant and beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by banx007 View Post
            Well, i heard they are converting them to freighters. They would sell off a few of the converted ones and keep some.

As for the A345 maintanence programme, they are precious aircraft to SQ. We have only 5 of them so if one is grounded, they better pray hard the other four is running fine. It happened twice this year and they had to replace the flights with B777-200ER meaning money and reputation lost. And Airbus is known to be passenger friendly but nightmares for the Mechanics.

As for the jumbos, it's practically maintenance free and everything is straightforward! And the design is pure classic, so elegant and beautiful.

You've got it! A345 is indeed a very comfortable plane to fly with for passengers - but would it be possible that it is only nightmares for the SQ mechanics because SQ only has 5 of them?

744 is always a classic but it is showing its age now and is particularly noisy especially when you are on the upperdeck. However, upperdeck is the place to be for 744.

Comment

Originally posted by The High Flyer View Post
              Yeah. Those IL-62s from the 1960s...

Are you the one who posted a TR for the trip to Pyongyang?
              Do you have a link for this TR? Would be awsome... but how do you come to get yourself a ride to DPRK?

As for age: Ever heard of Iran air? After its isolation IRAN simply kept every airplane it had. Today it still flies at least one 747-SP, one 741 and several first-gen A300. Its derrivative still flies the 707-And I'd really love to get a flight on one of these Boeing Birds today! Age absolutely doesn't matter, I'd rather fly on a fourty years old plane mainained by SQ than a five years old plane maintained by certain african or russian carriers...
              Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Had a chat with a colleague the other day; company I work for provides a product for SQ planes.

He told me that SQ audits our entire manufacturing process as part of due diligence. IMO, if SQ can go through that amount of work for a supplied part, surely their maintenance will be right up there as well.

Comment

there have been minor "mistakes"or oversights in maintenance - but even though some suplliers' products maybe audited esp for critical components; mistakes can happen within the engineering side. Hmmm there have been a case where an engine was mounted on the wrong pylon/wing on a 744 - but altho its very minor n does not affect flight safety - but still it can and have happened.

Comment

Yah, but that can happen to every airplane, no matter if the engine is changed 2 month after delivery or 10 years later for age reasons...
                    Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

I wish we had CX mx guys on our board. I remember reading on pprune.org something about the shocking condition of the SQ 744's sold to them. Dunno how far it's true, but I wouldn't discount it.

SQ has always been great at veneering the outside that faces the public, but a little less classy backstage. The facade gives the impression that it's all goodness all round. All businesses do that really.

Of late, with those penny pinching initiatives - cracks are beginning to show and this time, people CAN see it.

Comment

not the 1st time - as few other airlines have said tat too on buying SQ's 744s - but its more that SQ knew that its selling these planes that they deliberately didnt want to maintain the planes well.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                          SQ has always been great at veneering the outside that faces the public, but a little less classy backstage. The facade gives the impression that it's all goodness all round. All businesses do that really.
                          That pretty much describes Singapore to a T IMNSHO.
                          SQ is but a microcosm of the larger entity that created it.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                            not the 1st time - as few other airlines have said tat too on buying SQ's 744s - but its more that SQ knew that its selling these planes that they deliberately didnt want to maintain the planes well.
                            Now won't SIA passengers be smarting if they discover the same interiors for Oasis HK passengers flying on the cheap? Of course the staff and food are different, but still...
                            Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Maybe I should try flying on CX or O8 to see how good is the condition of the former SIA's Jumbos. Hopefully I get a former SIA B744 or two, and maybe EK for the A343s...

Comment

Originally posted by WSSS View Post
                                Maybe I should try flying on CX or O8 to see how good is the condition of the former SIA's Jumbos.
                                CX has put a lot of time and money into refurbishing its ex-SQ 744s to a standard that CX are satisfied with (i.e. a very high one) before putting them into service, so I don't see how you can fairly determine the condition of the outgoing SQ 744s based on the of the ones flying with CX.

Comment

Working...
                                X