Seats upright during mealtimes: views and comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seats upright during mealtimes: views and comments

shock horror but I'm going to agree with Richard Branson to some degree, I have had some flights were I have been shaken awake by "Atilla the Hun", because my seat was back during meal service, has happened a couple of times, once I ignored it and she wouldn't stop! I've had some excellent flights on Virgin Blue within Oz, so I'd put them on the same level imo
    Last edited by jjpb3; 19 August 2007, 08:36 PM. Reason: added link to original thread

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
    ...I have had some flights were I have been shaken awake by "Atilla the Hun", because my seat was back during meal service, has happened a couple of times, once I ignored it and she wouldn't stop!
    I think it's common courtesy in economy to have your seat upright during meal service so that the person behind you can eat in comfort.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

and if you've been asleep from the start of the flight?

Comment

and if you've been asleep from the start of the flight?
        Then the FAs will just have to do what it takes to wake you up won't they?
        A most common practice on the airlines I frequent anyway.

You have recourse to Traitor Air's new Y seats.
        Last edited by KeithMEL; 17 August 2007, 01:14 PM.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I've only flown QF recently enough to compare, and they didn't ask anyone to put their seats up, so I don't really know what general consensus is, but maybe SQ should have omitted that extra row of seats in Y that causes everyone to have to raise their seats for meals

Comment

I've only flown QF recently enough to compare, and they didn't ask anyone to put their seats up, so I don't really know what general consensus is, but maybe SQ should have omitted that extra row of seats in Y that causes everyone to have to raise their seats for meals
            There'd usually be an announcement for people to put their seats up and I've seen QF FAs physically adjusting the seats of some pax who either fail to comprehend instructions or plainly refused. As for myself I'd usually ask the person in front politely but I wouldn't hesitate to ask for FAs' intervention if s/he refuses to have his/her seat upright for the meal service. Thankfully I've been lucky enough to score bulkheads/emex in recent times.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 17 August 2007, 06:49 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I think this can easily be fixed by flying C or F.
              HUGE AL

Comment

some of us DON'T have that option

Comment

Sorry Greatfox, no offense intended... I've totally been there!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Or you could fly the airlines where the policy is that you don't have to raise your seat, or those with more legroom.

I don't see what the big deal is. Economy Class travel involves tradeoffs between low cost and personal comfort. Having to have your seat upright during mealtimes is just one of those.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

The idea that eating is more important than sleeping strikes me as absurd. I've never written a complaint letter to SQ, but if a crew member were to deliberately wake me for the marginal convenience of another passenger, I certainly would.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                        The idea that eating is more important than sleeping strikes me as absurd. I've never written a complaint letter to SQ, but if a crew member were to deliberately wake me for the marginal convenience of another passenger, I certainly would.
                        Were it a matter of marginal convenience, this discussion would probably not have persisted. In Economy, a reclined seat may actually mean the passenger behind cannot eat. It would be pretty upsetting to the passenger who may have to wait over 5 hours before the next meal.

Sleep and nutrition are both important. Of course, we want one or the other at different times. I'm unhappy when I'm groggy, but low blood sugar level isn't what I want to put up with either.

The argument on my rights/priorities versus yours can go on forever. Since we are talking about Economy here, my approach is to look at the reality and go in with matching expectations. Space will be tight. Service will follow a schedule considered most appropriate by the airline. Expect to configure yourself according to that schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                          I take it you've always allowed a passenger to recline into your space during meal service when you've flown SQ Y longhaul?

Well said, JetE.
                          Last edited by jjpb3; 18 August 2007, 03:22 PM.
                          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                            I take it you've always allowed a passenger to recline into your space during meal service when you've flown SQ Y longhaul?

Well said, JetE.

exactly
                            do you want to have your tray table up against your stomach, and having to bend over just to pick up your food. it would be rather very uncomfortable and very frustrating. I hate passengers who dont recline their seats. Come on i didnt pay alot of money to have my food shoved in my face!
                            Last edited by singaporeairlinesboi; 18 August 2007, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Yes, I have, by flying Y I expect to have the tray table shoved in my stomach, it's not that uncomfortable, and not frustrating either, I'm completely happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X