SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
    I definitely see your point on this, but then again, it depends on the people too I guess. I mean, on my last trip, when I booked flights with as much Megatops as possible, I've had some frequent SQ travellers who asked why I would want to travel on an SQ Megatop, since that is the only plane in SQ fleet history that has had a fatal crash. Actually, they even ask why am I even adamant on travelling on 747-400s since they claim there have been numerous problems (although I can't think of that many) with them with other airlines, especially with Qantas in the last few years (I only know of 2 situations here). But to me, it is not the actual plane or the livery. What happened to SPK from what I gather was a miscommunication between Control Tower and pilots, but I don't know the full details on that. I was a little upset with MAS when they made the public statement blaming SQ for it, immediately after the crash.

By the way, it was mentioned that SPL is being returned to the lessor. I thought SPR, which is a 747-4HD, is the only leased 744. I thought all the planes that were 747-412 were owned by SQ, and from what I know, SPL was also a -412. Can someone clarify this?

erm... most of SQ planes r owned by Banks.. except, i think, SMU. even SQ's 380s are also owned by foreign banks...none were SQ's.
    life long learning == learn later

ASU here i come!!!

Comment

• That would appear to be the reason why -SMU has been repainted then, as it's outright owned by SQ.

Thanks again lame38.5!

Comment

• From what I understand, SQ006 wouldn't have taxied onto the wrong runway if the lights were off in the first place.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          SPR was a 4H6
          Yeah, I meant to type 4H6, sorry. I was also thinking of Thai's 747-4D7 at the same time for reasons unknown, and somehow, my fingers typed 4HD . Also, was the info accurate that SPR was in fact the 999th Boeing 747?

About the lease, ownership, I thought the only planes SQ leased from the financier were the 747-200 Freighter that they had in early '90s, the one 737 freighter they had, and some of the 757s in the '80s. I heard they actually outright owned the Big Tops and the original Megatops that joined the fleet in 1989. But I heard these stories from a secondary source, so I wasn't sure. It was from this that I assumed the newer Megatops (just the -412s) were also owned by SQ.

By the way, was the accident the reason that they changed the stopover point on the LAX flight to Narita? My dad has taken the SQ flight from SIN-LAX and back many times and it was always Taipei before.

Comment

• SQ used to fly SIN-TPE-LAX till October 2008. They even had the B77W on this route for some time.

Comment

• I saw a B744 with SQ blue tail w/o the bird logo and the cheat line towed out from the hangar a few days ago, is that SMU ?
              As for ownership, most of the B744s were bought and owned by SQ but were negotiated for a lease at a later time. In fact, almost all of SQ planes are on a lease with int banks.
              And as for sq006, go here for more. http://www.asc.gov.tw/asc_en/index.asp
              I have to say, it's taiwan's version of the incident.
              There's also another version of a deceased stewardess spirit coming back for a revenge on this flight.

Comment

Yeah, I meant to type 4H6, sorry. I was also thinking of Thai's 747-4D7 at the same time for reasons unknown, and somehow, my fingers typed 4HD . Also, was the info accurate that SPR was in fact the 999th Boeing 747?
                SPR was indeed the 999th 747 based on the c/n.

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                About the lease, ownership, I thought the only planes SQ leased from the financier were the 747-200 Freighter that they had in early '90s, the one 737 freighter they had, and some of the 757s in the '80s. I heard they actually outright owned the Big Tops and the original Megatops that joined the fleet in 1989. But I heard these stories from a secondary source, so I wasn't sure. It was from this that I assumed the newer Megatops (just the -412s) were also owned by SQ.
                In addition to the 744s, 8 772s, 7 773s & 3 388s are on operating leases. From what I gather, the some of the leases can only be extended for a period of 2 additional years and all do not come with a purchase option.

Originally posted by boing View Post
                I saw a B744 with SQ blue tail w/o the bird logo and the cheat line towed out from the hangar a few days ago, is that SMU ?
                As for ownership, most of the B744s were bought and owned by SQ but were negotiated for a lease at a later time. In fact, almost all of SQ planes are on a lease with int banks.
                And as for sq006, go here for more. http://www.asc.gov.tw/asc_en/index.asp
                I have to say, it's taiwan's version of the incident.
                There's also another version of a deceased stewardess spirit coming back for a revenge on this flight.
                9V-SMU is in the revised 744 livery.

Comment

Also, was the info accurate that SPR was in fact the 999th Boeing 747?
                  Yep. In another life, she was known as 9M-MPE, christened "Kangar" - capital of Perlis state in northern malaysia. And yes, she is indeed c/n 999.

Comment

• Interesting to note that c/n 999 went to MH as 9M-MPE
                    c/n 1000 (famously) went to SQ as 9V-SMU
                    and c/n 1001 went to TG as HS-TGO "Bowonrangsi"

went to homes close to each other.

Comment

• I noticed SQC has an order for 3BCFs from SQ. Wonder if this BCFs will actually see SQC livery or the GW livery.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        Yep. In another life, she was known as 9M-MPE, christened "Kangar" - capital of Perlis state in northern malaysia. And yes, she is indeed c/n 999.
                        I was actually born in Kangar. I don't know if it was 9M-MPE since I havent seen all of MH's 747 serial numbers, but I remember seeing "Kangar" as the nickname on the plane I once took from KL-LHR. It may be that plane, or it may not be. It's just that I have seen a "Kangar" 747 at KLIA in September 2008, and by then 9M-MPE was already a BCF with World Airways.

I haven't been on it as 9V-SPR since I haven't been to Aukland for over 20 years, but I did fly on a Star Alliance livery 747 (9V-SPP) from SYD-SIN once. Was that plane a -412 or -4H6?

So I guess SQ did have the 999th and 1000th 747 in their fleet at one time.

Comment

• As SQFG pointed out - boeing's classification system is based on the customer. SQ has been assigned the code -12, so all SQ orders from boeing will be suffixed with -12. hence 747-412, 777-312ER, 777-212ER etc. SPP is a -412 having been delivered to SQ as its first operator.

Comment

I was actually born in Kangar.
                            When I first read this I thought you were born in a plane!
                            We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

• Originally posted by nykelaz View Post
                              When I first read this I thought you were born in a plane!
                              Ha!! That would've been a dream come true for me. To be born in a 747-400 (my fave plane). But no. Unfortunately, when I was born, the latest 747 around was the -200 series. I was like 5 or 6 when the -300s came around.

Comment

By the way, was the accident the reason that they changed the stopover point on the LAX flight to Narita? My dad has taken the SQ flight from SIN-LAX and back many times and it was always Taipei before.
                                The accident had nothing to do with the stopover point change to NRT. These are 2 separates routes to the U.S. which existed long ago. You have to dig it into the history how SQ fly to the U.S. in the 80s.

SQ2/1 747-312 (Big Top) SIN<=>HKG<=>HNL<=>SFO
                                SQ16/15 747-312 (Big Top) SIN<=>TPE<=>HNL<=>LAX
                                SQ12/11 747-312 (Big Top) SIN<=>NRT<=>LAX

The 2 Big Tops stopover at Honolulu (arrive 11:00am & depart around noon at the same time) is for those who on board from HKG can change plane to got to LAX, similar for those who on board from TPE can onward to SFO. Which is a very good idea.

Towards the 90's since SQ received more 747-412 (MegaTop) in which SQ decided to fly the non-stop route rather than stop-over at Honolulu (which I prefer to stop at that nice sunshine place still) so the routes had been change to as the follow without via HNL:

SQ2/1 747-412 (MegaTop) SIN<=>HKG<=>SFO
                                SQ16/15 747-412 (MegaTop) SIN<=>TPE<=>LAX

If you even refer back into 1979 when SQ 1st flown to the U.S. it was a SQ DC-10 painted "California Here We Come" flown as SIN<=>HKG<=>GUM<=>HNL<=>SFO as its need to stopover at Guam for refueling...before it changed to a SQ 747-212 (Super-B)...!

Comment

Working...
                                X