No announcement yet.

SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting! Thanks for the info! Learned something new.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickbot View Post
      It's a smoke hood/breathing apparatus, and it's securely strapped to the floor by the black webbing strap you can see half way along the width of its body, similar/same to that shown in the third photograph below.

[/IMG][/URL]
      So this is what you have to wear if you want to smoke on a non-smoking flight? Only available in the J cabin upstairs? This would make sense in case any smoke traveled to other cabins.

Yes, I'm just being humorous.
      Last edited by bmchris; 25 September 2010, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        Just had a ride on papa papa two weeks ago. When I stepped off I couldn't help wondering if that was my last SQ 744 ride. I'll miss em for sure SQFG foot shots always look better when there's lots of legroom

Perhaps we will be seeing an SQ744 TR by you soon?

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
        I think we'll see four or five of the remaining eight leave SQ during 2011.
        That means SQ11/12 or SQ25/26 will see an aircraft change. Any idea which one will change first?

Comment

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
          That means SQ11/12 or SQ25/26 will see an aircraft change. Any idea which one will change first?
          That's both complicated and difficult to predict. In each case, the retirement of the old JumboJets and the change of aircraft type will correspond with the delivery of new WhaleJets. However, in neither case is it likely to be as simple as WhaleJets entering service on these routes.

In the case of SQ11/12, the japanese government reportedly will not allow SQ to operate WhaleJets on the NRT-LAX segment. If these reports are true and the policy holds, then SQ11/12 will downgauge to 777-300ER service. This would most likely occur at the same time that SQ308/319 gets upgauged to WhaleJet service.

In the case of SQ25/26, the SIN-FRA segment desperately needs to be upgauged to WhaleJet service. However, the FRA-JFK segment desperately needs to be downgauged to 777-300ER service. There are rumours of plans to replace SIN-MXP-BCN service with SIN-BNC-GRU and SIN-MXP-JFK service in 2011. If this happens, SQ could either drop FRA-JFK service or use the SIN-MXP-JFK service to rotate 777-300ERs on and off the FRA-JFK service. Other possibilities include upgauging SIN-FRA and leaving an old JumboJet on the FRA-JFK segment for another year or two (no problem outsourcing 747 MX at either FRA or JFK) or upgauging FRA-JFK to WhaleJet service. The problems with the latter are: 1) low loads and yields are a bigger problem with the 5% higher trip costs, 2) low utilization of a valuable asset, and 3) it would further aggravate SQ's relationship with LH.

In my opinion, the smart thing to do would be to upgauge SIN-FRA to WhaleJet service, keep an old JumboJet flying FRA-JFK until MXP-JFK starts, and then drop the FRA-JFK service as part of a deal with LH to resume codesharing on the FRA-JFK sector.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
            In the case of SQ11/12, the japanese government reportedly will not allow SQ to operate WhaleJets on the NRT-LAX segment. If these reports are true and the policy holds, then SQ11/12 will downgauge to 777-300ER service. This would most likely occur at the same time that SQ308/319 gets upgauged to WhaleJet service.
            IIRC, SQ has 10 fifth freedom slots out of HKG. Should SQ12/11 go 77W thus decreasing capacity to LAX; while it's not ideal could we see a 3x (old LAS slots) via HKG to supplement the loss of capacity? Will be nice if SQ can do 7x though..

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
              IIRC, SQ has 10 fifth freedom slots out of HKG. Should SQ12/11 go 77W thus decreasing capacity to LAX; while it's not ideal could we see a 3x (old LAS slots) via HKG to supplement the loss of capacity? Will be nice if SQ can do 7x though..
              Previously SQ has applied for SIN-HKG-JFK route. Any updated news on the outcome?
              My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                In my opinion, the competition on the HKG-LAX route is too intense to even consider 3x weekly. SQ would have to fly the route daily to have a chance of profitability. Another possibility would be a resumption of SIN-TPE-LAX.

What SQ would prefer would be SIN-PEK-LAX or SIN-PVG-LAX.

Comment

• 9V-SPN is coming home from Victorville tonight as SQ744. ETA 2200.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                    In my opinion, the competition on the HKG-LAX route is too intense to even consider 3x weekly. SQ would have to fly the route daily to have a chance of profitability. Another possibility would be a resumption of SIN-TPE-LAX.

What SQ would prefer would be SIN-PEK-LAX or SIN-PVG-LAX.
                    I agree that 3x HKG-LAX will not work. If there's going to be a 3rd SIN-LAX, I am inclined to believe that it'll be via PVG.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      I agree that 3x HKG-LAX will not work. If there's going to be a 3rd SIN-LAX, I am inclined to believe that it'll be via PVG.
                      SQ would love to fly SIN-PVG-LAX. But will the Chinese government play ball?

Comment

• Is the 747 first class seats and IFE still as good, i mean, in terms of wearing out and faulty IFE ?

SQ will not spend further costs on cabin interior like lighting, worn out seats etc since 747 is phasing out soon.

Any complaints lately for those premium travellers in business & first class ?

Comment

• The probability of an IFE failure affecting your seat on an SQ JumboJet is probably a small fraction of 1%. The seats may show minor signs of wear, but SQ do still replace seats that are torn, punctured, or otherwise have a significant defect. I would not hesitate to book travel on an SQ JumboJet, though I am looking forward to retirement of the last one. The WhaleJet does offer an improved passenger experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                            Is the 747 first class seats and IFE still as good, i mean, in terms of wearing out and faulty IFE ?

SQ will not spend further costs on cabin interior like lighting, worn out seats etc since 747 is phasing out soon.

Any complaints lately for those premium travellers in business & first class ?
                            IME, there are now more light switch failures than before: reading lights that won't turn on; cove lights that won't turn off -- that sort of thing. (F cabin; dunno about J).

But otherwise, no IFE failures; the IFE on the 77Ws is more problematical than on the 744s. And the 744 cabin interiors, at least in F, are in fine condition; no signs of neglect.

Comment

• Fly sq 12 on 12th of october head steward says sq 12 and 11 will be replaced by a380 soon.

Apparently singapore airlines is trying to get once or twice a week using a380 sq 11 and 12... dont know if its true or not.

But god 744 is old. Awesome aircraft but old....lol

Comment

• Originally posted by nursalimLPP View Post
                                Fly sq 12 on 12th of october head steward says sq 12 and 11 will be replaced by a380 soon.

Apparently singapore airlines is trying to get once or twice a week using a380 sq 11 and 12... dont know if its true or not.
                                Trying to get the Japanese to approve 1x weekly WhaleJet service through NRT might be a good incrementalist strategy. It might have been inspired by the authorities at PEK restricting LH to 1x weekly WhaleJet service on the rumoured grounds that the airport needed time to learn how to accommodate more frequent operations.

Comment

Working...
                                X