SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
    Not necessarily. One or two 747s might be decommissioned before 1 April 2009.
    Didn't account for SPA which is due to leave in FY08/09.

Comment

• Any idea what period the last SQ747 passenger flight will be, and which flight it will be? I was also under the impresion SQ11/12 will be 747 for a while because this was going to be a future A380 flight, ans also that the demands are too high for the 77W, but now looks like it might be sooner.

Another thing I wonder is how come SQ is not considering doing Combi conversions with their 744s. It may reduce the number of aircraft needing to be grounded because of poor sales for both passenger and cargo. This way, they may actually profit on the routes where both passenger and cargo operate, and also delay the 744 withdrawal.

Comment

• The celebrated 9V-SMU protected my ride on SQ 25 JFK - SIN this weekend....looking pretty, inside and out. The controls for a couple of banks of the cabin side lights failed between JFK and FRA, and the lights wouldn't extinguish (had that happen before on both SQ and others' 744s).

Some creative mechanics resulted in light covers being made out of tinfoil trays liberated from the galley, and taped in place. So, if you fly on SMU, sit in 1B, 2A, or 2F,and notice scarred paint on the underside of the cove, you'll know why.

Counts: JFK-FRA: 5 in F, 35 in J, 171 in Y; FRA-SIN: 12 in F, 50 in J, 280 in Y......maybe heavy because it was Saturday ex FRA.......

Comment

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
          Another thing I wonder is how come SQ is not considering doing Combi conversions with their 744s. It may reduce the number of aircraft needing to be grounded because of poor sales for both passenger and cargo. This way, they may actually profit on the routes where both passenger and cargo operate, and also delay the 744 withdrawal.
          It's not so simple to convert a 744 to a Combi variant. It has to undergo a similar process as a BCF conversion. This requires floor beam replacements to be done. Also, it depends on availability of slots at the approved engineering companies and Boeing supplied "freighter" kits for the conversion process.

Previously, Combis had movable separation walls that could be shifted depending on the number of pallets that had to be carried. However, the FAA requires these separation walls to be permanent and isolated from the passenger cabin with fire fighting systems in place (All these adds up to extra weight). These new walls are reinforced and very much heavier. This reduces the payload capacity of the Combi. Freight isn't always two way, a 744F can have max payload in one direction and totally empty on the return journey. Look at SQC's timetable, routings are sometimes one way and will not backtrack. So by having a permanent wall, the Combi can go one direction in full load but return with dead weight. It's not very economical. Also, SQC doesn't rely on just freighters. SQC uses the bellies of all the SQ passenger fleet for cargo as well.

Either way, SQ has already found homes for the 744s. 3 are slated to become BCFs for SQC or GWC.

Comment

• It is generally expected that no more Combis will be built due to the new requirements that Nick C noted above.

Comment

The last passenger 747 will leave the fleet before the fiscal year ends 31 March 2010.
              Speaking with someone from SIAEC this past weekend confirms it.

Comment

• I just changed my SQ318 to SQ 308 in early March to take the 744 one more time ....... maybe the last ...

Comment

• Any idea on when the SQ25/26 is being changed to the 77W, and if JFK is eliminated? I was just wondering if the 744 will still be on this route in April.

Comment

The last passenger 747 will leave the fleet before the fiscal year ends 31 March 2010.
                    Do you know the order of decommissioning by route? I'm wondering if LAX will be the last to go.

Comment

• Found this article the other day. Now this may not involve the SQ747-400, but it kind of relates to it. I guess any SQ pilot that had great memories with the Megatop will be feeling this same feeling when the remaining SQ747-400s are removed from the fleet:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/un...ins-painf.html

Comment

• Originally posted by maxmin View Post
                        Do you know the order of decommissioning by route? I'm wondering if LAX will be the last to go.
                        I don't think that decision is final yet. It depends on some factors that are still unknown, like the delivery dates of 9V-SKI and 9V-SKJ, how quickly the 777-300 conversions proceed, and demand on the various routes between now and then.

Comment

• hi ladies n gentlemen, as we speak 9v-SPF is in the hangar for a slight makeover for de-lease. she came in this monday. =) her last flight wif SQ.
                          life long learning == learn later

ASU here i come!!!

Comment

• I just flew SQ11 yesterday and the inflight supervisor said that SQ is going to retire all 747 birds by Oct '09 - replaced primarily by 77W especially to US routes. Said the 747 is a 'gas guzzler'

Comment

• I wonder where they will find the 77Ws ? IME, the inflight crew tell some very tall stories at times when it comes to fleet changes!

Comment

• Originally posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
                                I just flew SQ11 yesterday and the inflight supervisor said that SQ is going to retire all 747 birds by Oct '09 - replaced primarily by 77W especially to US routes.....
                                avezda posted that 744s should go away by 31-Mar-10. I see that as more credible. Someone even posted on TOF that SQ11/12 will be downgauged by next month.
                                Last edited by TerryK; 26 February 2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X