SQ B747-400 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately, the older 744s will be grounded for at least a year. I know it is a longshot, but I am going to be optimistic about this and hope that the economy will pick back up, and some of the grounded 744s will come back, and then leave the fleet slowly with the arrival of the A380s.
    That's optimistic. Don't be surprised if SQ defer delivery of the second tranche of WhaleJets. 10 or 12 is about all they can make good use of in this economic climate.

Comment

• Originally posted by zvezda View Post
      That's optimistic. Don't be surprised if SQ defer delivery of the second tranche of WhaleJets. 10 or 12 is about all they can make good use of in this economic climate.
      Totally agree,
      which route justify this ordered tranche of A380.
      A daily service to Japan- Twice to the UK/ Twice to OZ/ One daily to France/1 daily route to the westcoast US and then?
      The original plans do not meet the reality anymore!

Maybe they get some more A 330 midterm (maybe in 3 class configuration) and when hopefully on time relace partly the A 380 orders by the A350.

Comment

I think your chances are better with LAX than with JFK if you want to fly on the 747.
        Just wanna try the SkySuites for the first (and perhaps last) time. Well, if I do choose JFK and SQ eventually switch the aircraft to 77W, I think I will then try the "new" F with a Saver Redemption (if I have ticketed my booking) A Win-Win situation perhaps, esp with the 25% discount being offered till Sep 09?

Comment

• Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
          Yeah, unfortunately, the older 744s will be grounded for at least a year. I know it is a longshot, but I am going to be optimistic about this and hope that the economy will pick back up, and some of the grounded 744s will come back, and then leave the fleet slowly with the arrival of the A380s.
          Once the entire sub-fleet is grounded, the only time you see the 744 fly is when they are being reposit to other carriers or the desert.

Comment

• Sad goodbye 744s.....

Anyways they need to use more 773er to the usa. Currently only SFO gets the ER darn.

Comment

• The only 744 routes left are FRA/JFK, NRT/LAX, MEL and SYD. What are peoples' predictions on when each of these routes would be switched to new aircraft?

The general consensus here seems to suggest FRA/JFK or NRT/LAX first? MEL and SYD seems to be later on the list, no?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lufthansi View Post
                Totally agree,
                which route justify this ordered tranche of A380.
                A daily service to Japan- Twice to the UK/ Twice to OZ/ One daily to France/1 daily route to the westcoast US and then?
                The original plans do not meet the reality anymore!
                The remaining 4 of the first tranche will do CDG (01JUN09), possibly upgauge the last 744 (SQ219/220) to SYD and the MEL 744.

Comment

• Originally posted by nursalimLPP View Post
                  Sad goodbye 744s.....

Anyways they need to use more 773er to the usa. Currently only SFO gets the ER darn.
                  IAH is also served by the 77W. Considering that the 77Ws are stretched rather thinly at the moment, we will have to wait till the refurbished 773s replace them on the shorter regional routings before they can be re-deployed.

Originally posted by kchika View Post
                  The only 744 routes left are FRA/JFK, NRT/LAX, MEL and SYD. What are peoples' predictions on when each of these routes would be switched to new aircraft?

The general consensus here seems to suggest FRA/JFK or NRT/LAX first? MEL and SYD seems to be later on the list, no?
                  77W for FRA/JFK & NRT/LAX is more sensible.

Comment

• Originally posted by YK@HKG View Post
                    Just wanna try the SkySuites for the first (and perhaps last) time. Well, if I do choose JFK and SQ eventually switch the aircraft to 77W, I think I will then try the "new" F with a Saver Redemption (if I have ticketed my booking) A Win-Win situation perhaps, esp with the 25% discount being offered till Sep 09?
                    There is a significant chance that SQ might cancel the FRA-JFK altogether and return to codesharing with LH. I'm hoping that it downgauges to 777-300ER.

Originally posted by kchika View Post
                    The only 744 routes left are FRA/JFK, NRT/LAX, MEL and SYD. What are peoples' predictions on when each of these routes would be switched to new aircraft?

My guess is that SIN-NRT-LAX will be SQ's last JumboJet route.

Comment

There is a significant chance that SQ might cancel the FRA-JFK altogether and return to codesharing with LH. I'm hoping that it downgauges to 777-300ER.
                      I think SQ will cancel IAH-DME-SIN before JFK-FRA-SIN if it decides to cancel one of USA route.

Comment

So: SIN-FRA will probably be downgauged to 77W, while FRA-JFK will be codeshared by LH? If I am holding a ticketed F-Saver, I will still be able to fly 77W and LH F right? Both are new experiences to me...so...not a big problem

Comment

So: SIN-FRA will probably be downgauged to 77W, while FRA-JFK will be codeshared by LH? If I am holding a ticketed F-Saver, I will still be able to fly 77W and LH F right? Both are new experiences to me...so...not a big problem
                          I hesitate to say "probably," but it is very possible. If you have an F award ticket for a particular flight number, you should still be able to fly F on that route if the equipment changes (provided that the new equipment has F). I'm not sure about revalidating the ticket for another airline. I haven't tried that. There are no codeshare award tickets as far as I know.

Comment

There is a significant chance that SQ might cancel the FRA-JFK altogether and return to codesharing with LH.
                            That's one way to fill the A345.

Comment

• Never mind.

Comment

SkySuites is still the best - I find it's better than the new F seat on 773ER. Somehow, I find the F cabin in 747 feels more spacious.

Comment

Working...
                                X