Coronavirus : Flight cancellations and contingencies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgod5SZ191Y

Emirates modifies 10 Boeing 777-300ER passenger aircraft to Mini-Freighters to carry vital cargo

Comment

• A limited few airlines have done similar. However, the main drawback is that these will only allow boxes to be carried into the aircraft through passenger doors only and there is a size limitation on the boxes, and secondly look at the many manpower needed to load the boxes in and also the longer hours it takes to load these boxes which do not allow for shorter turnarounds. Other airlines have simply loaded the boxes onto the standard economy seats and onto overhead bins and SQ have done this before although am not sure whether it had continue to do so.

Comment

• I don't think manpower is in shortage, or quick turnarounds are a necessity when money can be earned by moving cargoes.

Comment

• I've been told from locals in area that an SQ flight left WTB with a cargohold full of avocados a day or so ago for Singapore but I can't find any record of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
            I've been told from locals in area that an SQ flight left WTB with a cargohold full of avocados a day or so ago for Singapore but I can't find any record of it.
            That would have been SQ246 on 17 Jul flown, as usual, by 9V-SHF. It can be found on FR24.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arundel Lad View Post
              That would have been SQ246 on 17 Jul flown, as usual, by 9V-SHF. It can be found on FR24.
              I searched that flight number the other day on fr24 and got no result. I searched it again just now and got no result. Then I searched the aircraft you’ve quoted and it came up. Then I clicked on results for that flight number and it showed, so something is going wrong with their search paths. Incidentally, I had tried both a browser search and using the app- both without results.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                I searched that flight number the other day on fr24 and got no result. I searched it again just now and got no result. Then I searched the aircraft you’ve quoted and it came up. Then I clicked on results for that flight number and it showed, so something is going wrong with their search paths. Incidentally, I had tried both a browser search and using the app- both without results.
                Not just SQ246. SQ241 SQ223 SQ478 also can’t be found if u key in the flight number. But can be found under the aircraft info.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                  Not just SQ246. SQ241 SQ223 SQ478 also can’t be found if u key in the flight number. But can be found under the aircraft info.
                  Glad it’s not just me. Thought I was doing something wrong!

Comment

• Interesting. I’m at Sydney airport and SQ242 is just boarding from Gate 10 with what seems like a full compliment of passengers. I didn’t think SQ242 was even flying!

Comment

• Originally posted by maestro View Post
                      Interesting. I’m at Sydney airport and SQ242 is just boarding from Gate 10 with what seems like a full compliment of passengers. I didn’t think SQ242 was even flying!
                      SQ 242 was scheduled to be a passenger flight today.

Comment

• SIA lose $1.1 billion in the last quarter.

Comment

• SIA cuts pay of all staff by at least 10%

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...r-ground-staff

Singapore Airlines (SIA) will be taking more drastic measures to rein in costs, including bigger pay cuts for the management, a 10 per cent salary reduction for other staff, and early retirement for ground staff and pilots.
                          Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Originally posted by maestro View Post
                            Interesting. I’m at Sydney airport and SQ242 is just boarding from Gate 10 with what seems like a full compliment of passengers. I didn’t think SQ242 was even flying!
                            I heard it was a chartered flight to Singapore, and moving on to Cochin.

Comment

• Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                              I heard it was a chartered flight to Singapore, and moving on to Cochin.
                              Chartered by KMCC Australia. They have charter flights from SYD/MEL/BNE/ADL to COK via SIN using Singapore Airlines.
                              Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Ah, thanks everyone! It was a curious sight for me at the airport. I was flying Qatar (first time in so many years not flying SQ to Rome from Sydney). I saw the SQ242 aircraft boarding and felt like a traitor

Comment

Working...
                                X