Silk Air to be merged into Singapore Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shikhargpt View Post
    Honolulu being ceased in June 2019 too due to poor demand.
    interesting as Scoot launched this service to Honolulu after Air Asia X and while D7 is doing well and even increased its frequecy, Scoot is now going to exit this route.

Comment

Maybe Scoot should change the Osaka - Honolulu route to Narita - Honolulu? In a recent CAPA video, one of the panelist said that fifth freedom route is only restricted out of Haneda.

Comment

Originally posted by shikhargpt View Post
        Honolulu being ceased in June 2019 too due to poor demand.
        S$1k - 1.4k round trip fares
        vs full-service carrier PAL, Fiji at $900~

the choice is clear

Comment

With the route realignment, will there be anymore route that will see either both or all three airlines at same location?

AirAsia X might have increased HNL frequency, but only they know internally if the route is making money. They have chopped of Tehran and Auckland this year even though both routes enjoyed high load factor. Also AirAsia X 3Q result isn't very pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post
            SilkAir to give up some routes to Scoot ahead of merger with SIA

Scoot will acquire some SilkAir routes over the next two years, ahead of SilkAir's merger into Singapore Airlines (SIA).

Scoot, SIA's budget arm, will also be transferring some of its services to existing destinations served by SIA and SilkAir.

The changes are expected to take place between April 2019 and the second half of 2020, SIA said on Thursday (Nov 22).

From SilkAir to Scoot:

• Luang Prabang and Vientiane in Laos, in April 2019

• Coimbatore, Trivandrum and Visakhapatnam in India, between May 2019 and October 2019

• Changsha, Fuzhou, Kunming and Wuhan in China, between May 2019 and June 2019

• Chiang Mai in Thailand, in October 2019

• Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia, in December 2019

• Balikpapan, Lombok, Makassar, Manado, Semarang and Yogyakarta in Indonesia, between May 2020 and July 2020

From Scoot to SIA (Both are existing SIA destinations):

• Bengaluru and Chennai in India, in May 2019 and May 2020

From Scoot to SilkAir (Both are existing SilkAir destinations)

• Shenzhen in China, from June 2019

• Kochi in India, from October 2019
            Today is the darkest day in Singapore Aviation History.

Today's news is really sad for many of us, who are Gold/PPS members of Singapore Airlines and Virgin Australia who travel frequently for business/leisure to ASEAN countries that SIA Group has turned our backs on us and asked us to dump SIA Group for other airlines, such as Garuda Indonesia and Malaysia Airlines.

Because come 2019, 2020, there will be no more Business Class to Kota Kinabalu, no more Business Class to Balikpapan, Lombok, Makassar, Manado, Semarang and Yogyakarta in Indonesia, Chiang Mai in Thailand, Laos and parts of China. No more SQ Elite Miles, no more Velocity Status Credits, no more 30kg luggage, no more aircraft meals, and no more lounge access when going to those destinations.

So why bother catching SIA Group of airlines then when they are giving us the rubbish Scoot service to us which only gives 10% Krisflyer miles, no Status Credits and no PPS Value?

What is more sad is that for some destinations ex-Singapore, you will no longer able to fly direct with a free meal on board! Especially destinations in Indonesia and Malaysia from Silkair to Scoot!

I am really sad, because such act is abandoning the premium customers who build and support the SIA Group. Moreover, this is really making business travelers much more difficult to travel for business from Singapore because by then we will need to change planes somewhere else so that we will be able to fly Business Class to those destinations. I have a grave concern that Singapore's position as Asia's aviation hub will be threatened because of the Scoot's takeover, that many travelers from Australia will now choose to fly via KUL, CGK or others to those regional destinations in Malaysia, Indonesia and beyond.

Budget airlines are the cancer cells of the aviation industry because they are using cheap fares to deteriorate the service standard of the aviation industry. It is making traveling more stressful, more expensive and more dangerous than before.

I sincerely hope SIA Group will reverse these decisions, as well as immediately wind up Scoot so that the Gold standard of flying will come back for Singaporeans, Australians and others.

Governments around the world should also ban any airlines who cannot provide free meals, free 30kg baggage allowance, lounge access, business class service from flying.

Discussions welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
              I am really sad, because such act is abandoning the premium customers
              There simply isn't enough of you to meet the demand I am afraid.

Comment

Governments around the world should also ban any airlines who cannot provide free meals, free 30kg baggage allowance, lounge access, business class service from flying.

Discussions welcomed.
                Entitled much? Sorry, millennials prefer LCC over full service airlines. Sadly, this is the future.
                Last edited by Avenger777; 23 November 2018, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                  There simply isn't enough of you to meet the demand I am afraid.
                  They must done the analysis. These destination must have the lowest Amt of business pax. N frankly speaking, for those tag on destinations, mostly it is almost free or minimal cost to the pax.

Comment

There's isn't enough demand for premium passengers, SIA group is not dumb to abandon those routes to Scoot if it was making $$$$
                    It's easier to sell seats cheaply and gain more revenue from the flight

And those routes alone on Economy are not cheap at all, even for Business trips, companies no longer have loyalty to a single airline, they go for whichever cheapest. Eg Lombok/Bali, sometimes the Economy class fares are close to Business Class on Garuda
                    My previous company, a Japanese MNC, even executives don't get to fly Business. Meeting at New York, you fly in to arrive in the morning, do your meeting, fly back the same day, the hotel is your flight.

And yes youngsters now prefers LCCs, they don't really care about the flight services and just wants to get point to point as cheaply as possible. That's where the industry is heading towards, which also force full-service airlines to cram more seats in Economy and find ways to generate ancillary revenue, seat selections, lounge access, inflight wifi... etc

Comment

Thats the reality when one major airline owns all 2 smaller carriers. To SIA, Silkair giving up its business to Scoot will not "harm" itself as SIA owns 100% of Silkair and Scoot.
                      Last edited by flyguy; 23 November 2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jul247 View Post
                        With the route realignment, will there be anymore route that will see either both or all three airlines at same location?

AirAsia X might have increased HNL frequency, but only they know internally if the route is making money. They have chopped of Tehran and Auckland this year even though both routes enjoyed high load factor. Also AirAsia X 3Q result isn't very pretty.
                        Air Asia X will not increase its frequency to Honolulu via Osaka is its loads are bad. Similiarly its flight to Auckland will be terminated as its a extension of its Gold Coast destination, as it is not doable with its aircraft to do Auckland non-stop.

Comment

I'm one of the affected passengers on revenue ticket. Does Scoot usually keep the same days of flight (when non daily) or could they shift things around? Alternatively can SQ reticket on an SQ+some other airline combination? This is so disruptive. My hotels are fixed

Comment

Excuse me? I take a lot of issue with this sentence. MI185 and SQ006 were by far the darkest days in Singapore aviation. A loss of business class and/or full service on some routes does not even come CLOSE to that. You have trivialised the gravity of those two horrible incidents.

Comment

Truly not. I'm sure that this was the 31oct2000.

Why should governments bother about that? I think quite a huge number of flyers do not want to pay for things they don't need.

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                                I'm one of the affected passengers on revenue ticket. Does Scoot usually keep the same days of flight (when non daily) or could they shift things around? Alternatively can SQ reticket on an SQ+some other airline combination? This is so disruptive. My hotels are fixed
                                I guess it depends on your luck. Looks like they may move their flights whenever they feel like. I just happened to notice a flyscoot facebook posting by Da Ming on 20-Nov-2018 who says that he received an email notification at 0200hr for his 0555hr flight (less than 4-hrs before his flight!) that the flight will be re-scheduled to 1945!

I don't think Scoot will re-ticket/re-book you to SQ/NH flights. Also, they will most likely refund you ticket in the form of Scoot vouchers with validity of 6-months!

Comment

Working...
                                X