Start of another round of cost-cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by humgen View Post
    Did HKG sector in Business Class this week.

1. No satay service (noon and evening flight).
    2. Nuts served in packets and no longer in small warm bowl.
    3. No table cloth (777-300ER - not A330) used in dining service.
    4. No provision of slippers / socks - had to request.
    5. No refill of champagne. Had to request 2x before they do so.
    6. No selection of cheese. Its pre-plated.
    7. Bread rolls are cold.

Not sure if I have gotten a lousy set of crew or its a round of cost cutting measures.

It's the crew. Write in officially and let them know. I've been writing in a lot more than I ever used to and most of it is the SIN-HKG-SIN routes - I know this because I fly this route every 3 weeks and it's obvious. The service is really getting nonchalant, robotic and inattentive and just not what SQ is all about.

Comment

• Could be because SQ uses the HKG service to train newer flight crews? The timing is just right to get the basics down perhaps? Either way, still a pity.

Comment

• Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
        Could be because SQ uses the HKG service to train newer flight crews? The timing is just right to get the basics down perhaps? Either way, still a pity.

Indeed they do use this sector for training but the problem starts at the top which is where the LS, CS and IFS should be setting the tone for each flight but it's clearly at their discretion so that is why SQ has such a frustrating difference in service levels from out of this world to bleah for a premium airline.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonleong View Post
          Indeed they do use this sector for training but the problem starts at the top which is where the LS, CS and IFS should be setting the tone for each flight but it's clearly at their discretion so that is why SQ has such a frustrating difference in service levels from out of this world to bleah for a premium airline.
          That is quite true, especially in Business Class. Once i board the aircraft, judging by the way the IFM greets me at the door, i more or less can tell what the flight will be like...

I do find it quite interesting though that his/her tone can filter down so far. I wonder what sort of pre-flight briefing/motivation goes on before the flight..

Comment

• Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otHnkPD4sks

Noticed in 2:54 of the video that SQ has introduced disposable casserole in the PY cabin on certain sectors. Have not seen similar casseroles in Y yet; but if it is good enough for PY, I am sure it is good enough for Y.

Based on the video, it looks like the casseroles warp when heated, or is it simply designed this way?
            Noticed it on other sectors too... cost-cuting?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYDuqbe43LI
            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

It's the crew. Write in officially and let them know. I've been writing in a lot more than I ever used to and most of it is the SIN-HKG-SIN routes - I know this because I fly this route every 3 weeks and it's obvious. The service is really getting nonchalant, robotic and inattentive and just not what SQ is all about.
              I don't take this sector often so I really can't compare. I usually take LHR, JFK, PVG and PEK. These sectors are usually very good. Was really disappointed with the HKG sector.

Comment

• The regional flights are sadly quite a mixed bucket. To my experience the longhaul service is more consistent, however most of my longhaul flights this year were a miss. Crews seem not to be focused these days.

Comment

• This might be of interest to some. Just highlighted some bits.

Singapore Airlines is pursuing more than 50 cost-cutting initiatives including reducing fuel burn and reviewing its relationship with key suppliers as part of a three-year plan...
                  which also include more self-service options for customers and reducing in-flight food and beverage wastage

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...-stiff-9285762

I wonder what this means? Dine on Demand? Only Book the Cook for F and J? Possible purchase food items on Y a la AF...or buy alcoholic beverages on Y?

Meanwhile an A Net has an outline of SQ's brand strategy.

http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewt...?f=3&t=1375367

Comment

• From the Straits Times: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ernal-overhaul

These include plans to significantly increase SIA's investment in digital enablers, review the airline's route network, revamp key commercial processes and introduce more self-service options to not only help ease call-centre volumes but also make it more convenient for consumers, said Mr Goh.

SIA will also continue to invest in new planes and products, he added.

The Straits Times understands that as part of the review, SIA is also relooking flying rosters which could lead to some flights being converted to turnaround services where crew do not need to stay overnight at overseas stations.
                    Flight crew are going to get less allowance.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                      From the Straits Times: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ernal-overhaul

I wonder what will be the labour union says about this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
                        I wonder what will be the labour union says about this.
                        I wonder if they will look into the cost of attrition and the impact it has on the service. The way crew are treated is a thing of the past and is one of the reasons behind high attrition numbers. This continuous erosion of benefits/conditions is likely to make it worse.

Slippery slope

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaniard View Post
                          I wonder if they will look into the cost of attrition and the impact it has on the service. The way crew are treated is a thing of the past and is one of the reasons behind high attrition numbers. This continuous erosion of benefits/conditions is likely to make it worse.

Slippery slope
                          Most companies remain oblivious to this still. Decisions are made in rooms by people who don't spend enough time talking to those on the ground. I see it in almost every industry. I get told from above in my middle management role to email staff about big changes to their work assignments, but I spend the extra time to go and tell them in person. It's always appreciated and stops people walking out the door.

Comment

That's quite true for HK flights. Twice in J cabin, the crew greeted me with the wrong name. It has only 3 alphabets...

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                              From the Straits Times: http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ernal-overhaul

Some possible flights may include SIN-MLE (MI crew are now doing turnarounds), CBR-WLG (rumoured to be rescheduled to enable a turnaround) and maybe even SIN-TPE (already SIN-BLR with longer flight times are turnarounds on SQ and MI). Once upon a time, SIN-PER were turnarounds as well.
                              My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                                Some possible flights may include SIN-MLE (MI crew are now doing turnarounds), CBR-WLG (rumoured to be rescheduled to enable a turnaround) and maybe even SIN-TPE (already SIN-BLR with longer flight times are turnarounds on SQ and MI). Once upon a time, SIN-PER were turnarounds as well.
                                I think CBR-WLG is a strong contender for a schedule change to allow turnarounds. Over time this could save a significant amount in not having to accommodate crew overnight.

It will be interesting to see what other measure might be implemented.

Comment

Working...
                                X