Start of another round of cost-cutting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EWR View Post
    That is really bad. Any pictures of the flimsy sheet of paper? Perhaps they can try to make the menu booklets (even) smaller, but not remove them totally.
    I'll fly Pek-Sin round trip two day later and see if the menu has also been removed on medium haul flight.

Comment

Originally posted by myjawdrop View Post
      I'm not sure if this is the best place to post.

I took SQ972 and SQ979 on 10 Jun and the menu booklet was replaced entirely by a flimsy sheet of paper with the main course listings.

It's really disappointing and distasteful.
      Actually this sounds similar to what SQ does with the Jakarta sectors. Did it look something like this?

Originally posted by heninkk View Post
      I'll fly Pek-Sin round trip two day later and see if the menu has also been removed on medium haul flight.
      I think only the shortest of sectors will be affected.. even my SIN-SGN today was still the normal menu. But who knows it might be gone next month as I think SGN is shorter flight length than BKK

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
        Actually this sounds similar to what SQ does with the Jakarta sectors. Did it look something like this?

I think only the shortest of sectors will be affected.. even my SIN-SGN today was still the normal menu. But who knows it might be gone next month as I think SGN is shorter flight length than BKK
        Thanks Pokfur for the share. This truly makes the jaw drop. It's not even in colour, and we know how flimsy - and water non-resistant - the pages of SQ's menu are without the rest of the cover. I am flying to SGN soon too, and hope to see a proper menu (but shall brace myself).

PS: In a way these papers can't be recycled for the next flight. Isn't handing passengers these little sheets more wasteful and more expensive?

Comment

If you're flying this month, I'm sure it'll still be the normal menu. I know the food options are changing next month (finally!) thanks to the new feature in manage-my-booking. So we'll see if the full menus are reduced next month.

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
            Thanks Pokfur for the share. This truly makes the jaw drop. It's not even in colour, and we know how flimsy - and water non-resistant - the pages of SQ's menu are without the rest of the cover. I am flying to SGN soon too, and hope to see a proper menu (but shall brace myself).

PS: In a way these papers can't be recycled for the next flight. Isn't handing passengers these little sheets more wasteful and more expensive?
            I don't think the menu booklets are recycled for the next flight too. For economy class, I don't remember receiving any stained or very crumpled booklets. Think you can even take home the booklet if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
              I don't think the menu booklets are recycled for the next flight too. For economy class, I don't remember receiving any stained or very crumpled booklets. Think you can even take home the booklet if you want.
              You are right. The menu cards are disposed off after each flight.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                You are right. The menu cards are disposed off after each flight.
                That's very surprising. Why then would they bother printing both the outbound and inbound menu within the same booklet??

Comment

That's very surprising. Why then would they bother printing both the outbound and inbound menu within the same booklet??
                  In fact they are used on both sectors, the crew has to collect them after passengers disembarked. I also suspect that they will be reused after return to SIN, in the past I have received menu cards from a different flight then the I was on, not only once.

Comment

But if they reused it, the first and last page would have been stained by the colour from the front/back cover.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                      In fact they are used on both sectors, the crew has to collect them after passengers disembarked. I also suspect that they will be reused after return to SIN, in the past I have received menu cards from a different flight then the I was on, not only once.
                      Yes, I've had that too.

I quite like the idea of the menu being on the IFE, but until all cabins are fitted with touch-screens, it would be problematic. Asking people to pause a movie when meal service arrives, switch to a different menu using the handset and click through to the dining menu, then get back to their film at the same spot- that's a tough one which could cause aggravation.

If the system could generate a little flag in a corner of the screen which paused the entertainment and created a little pop-up, similar to a cabin announcement, but user-initiated, that would work really well.

Comment

Flew PEY on SQ218 on the 20th of June. SQ appears to have replaced the reasonably good Phitek headphones with some non-branded cheaper ones. There's a noticeable difference in sound quality (for the worse).

Comment

Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                          Flew PEY on SQ218 on the 20th of June. SQ appears to have replaced the reasonably good Phitek headphones with some non-branded cheaper ones. There's a noticeable difference in sound quality (for the worse).
                          These have been rolled out in J as well. Had them perhaps since April? Both long-haul and short-hauls.. They don't cancel out noise that well, but i thought the quality of the sound itself was decent.

Comment

These have been rolled out in J as well. Had them perhaps since April? Both long-haul and short-hauls.. They don't cancel out noise that well, but i thought the quality of the sound itself was decent.
                            I flew SQ32 on the 27th of May in J and they still were the Phitek ones. Perhaps the new ones could only be for shorter flights but I'm not too sure. Which long haul flight were you on that had the new ones?

Comment

SQ just can't rely on premium travel for all its sectors. Granted, I don't mind paying more for a comfortable long-haul, but for medium & short-haul I think it needs to tamper down its offerings and slash its fares. It's excessive that you provide earbuds, blanket, pillows, a full meal on say a short hop like CGK. For flights under 4 hours, in Y do away with hot towels, pillows and blankets (have to be requested, this is already MI policy), menu cards, and maybe even full meals on BKK, CGK, DPS. Maybe even merge SQ & MI and install IFE on MI birds which will give more fleet flexibility. Tbh, MI is just a rip-off. Do self check-in at airports with more than 5 SQ/MI/TZ/TR departures like KUL, HKG, SYD, PER, MEL. Improve the damn website and sell more auxiliaries like rental cars, hotel rooms etc, be more generous with KrisFlyer miles. Slash FCO, WLG, IAH and IST. CBR becomes a terminating route while MAN can be made SIN-MAN-BOS. MAN-BOS probably has more traffic. Focus on direct flights to the West Coast , SIN-SEA could work with a large code-share pact with AS. SIN-LAX and SIN-SFO should just be non-stop with 3-class configuration.
                              Last edited by RedEyeflight; 25 June 2017, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Flew SIN-DPS a couple of days ago in Y and they still had hot towels and Magnum ice cream, so no complaints there. No menu handed out, but the seat pocket still had the full menu booklet from the plane's previous CMB-SIN leg.

Earphones were placed on the newspaper trolley in the gangway. Don't recall seeing that before.

Comment

Working...
                                X