The new SQ cabin classes - Discussion & speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
    I wonder if the narrower width of the upper deck has anything to do with it.
    The 2006 J is also on the A380 upper deck, which has not changed in dimensions since the first A380.

Comment

• Originally posted by yflyer View Post
      And to wrap up, here is a seat map of the new A380 cabin, with Suites and Business Class on the upper deck, and Premium Economy and Economy on the lower deck.

Overall an excellent launch event, showcasing cabin products which will make SQ's A380 a very attractive aircraft to fly for years to come!

Thanks 9V-SIA for guesting me and 9V-JKL to this event...it was great to catch up and explore the exhibition together!
      It's unfortunate that SQ has removed Y from the upper deck based on this.

Also, I didn't find any AC outlets for laptops on the Y seats. Did you find some of them?
      Last edited by hybridace101; 6 November 2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
        Glad to hear the seats were comfortable for you and actually CX's seat does recline --
        The current CX long haul Y seat, on their 77W, for example, is a conventional design (i.e. non fixed shell), and is pretty good, and does recline, but for a short while, they were rolling out fixed shell Y for long haul and it didn't go well, so much so that they replaced them and moved the fixed-shell seats to regional routes. The fixed shell seats have a sort of "recline" but only part of the seat moves forward, and leaves your neck at an awkward angle. More on that topic here.

Originally posted by GR1 View Post
        Many thanks yflyer for your excellent portrayal of the new products.
        Thanks, GR1!

Originally posted by GR1 View Post
        While I personally feel they are undoubtedly miles better than the current 2006 products on the A380, I am not sure if the same could be said when comparing them to the 2013 products featuring on 77W - referring to Y and J class.

According to me, as rightly mentioned by yourself and SQ747 - the aesthetics just don't do justice for a premium airline like SQ. The new J sort of looks like an arcade game machine, especially due to the orange outlined storage compartments - it no longer looks luxurious. The 2013 J in my opinion is the best looking seat in its class and industry. Same goes for Y - the new seat looks like a downgrade from the 2013 version.
        I think 2017 Y is about comparable to 2013 Y: in some ways better, in other ways I still prefer 2013 Y. Of course this is just an initial impression -- the only way to know for sure is to spend 13 hours in it!

For the new 2017 J seat, I actually think it is quite superb, both in design and function. It was quite hard for me to tell from the photos how it was, but having tried it, I find the design very sophisticated and elegant, even compared to 2013 J.

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
        Wonderful pictures of the new product, yflyer!
        Thanks, SQGamespeed!

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
        I am happy to see that the new J seat can now be converted to fully-flat with a button. That is definitely much more convenient for me. I had hoped they would introduce this for the 2013 product, and I was a bit disappointed that they did not back then.

The back of the Y seat definitely looks more cluttered, but the addition of contactless payment is interesting. Still looks like a fairly comfortable seat, however.
        Agree with both your comments.

The automated recline without flipping removes the biggest issue that many had with the previous J seat.

And yes, the back of the Y seat could be better from an aesthetic point of view: Maybe a lighter colour tone, and perhaps a cleaner, more symmetrical arrangement of the various items on the back. But apart from that, it is a very comfortable seat.

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
        Yflyer, thanks for the pictures.
        You're welcome, SQ_326!

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
        Most top airlines would dress up their premium cabins in a warm (SQ 2006/2013), crisp (UA Polaris, Delta biz suite) or refreshing colors (NZ). What did you gather on the F and J seats onsite?
        As far as Suites and Business are concerned, I would say the design is somewhere in between. There are both modern/daring elements, as well as warm/conservative elements, but the overall design is very harmonious and well thought through.

I wish they refreshed the PEY design to match the same theme and visual elements as R and J, though.

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
        It's unfortunate that SQ has removed Y from the upper deck based on this.

Also, I didn't find any AC outlets for laptops on the Y seats. Did you find some of them?
        Yes, I will miss upper deck Y. That said, on lightly loaded flights, I prefer the main deck, as the upper deck tends to fill up fast -- there is more opportunity to have empty seats next to you if sitting downstairs.

No, I didn't notice A/C outlets in Y (Although I wasn't looking too hard for them...). It is not clear if they have been left out (A major omission if that is the case! Even Scoot has A/C power), or if it is only the mock-ups that don't have them, and the actual planes do. [Update: The Y seats do have A/C power sockets]
        Last edited by yflyer; 8 November 2017, 01:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
          The width of the new J seats make me appreciate the 2006 J even more now. Just a personal opinion,despite looking aged and dull,the 2006 J is my current favourite for a nice snooze. The 2013 J took some width away and now the 2017 has reduced the width further. I wonder if the narrower width of the upper deck has anything to do with it. Still,I can’t image how much more they need to reduce for the A350,which is the aircraft for me to avoid now
          I believe the overall cabin width of the A350 is wider than that of the A380 upper deck so i don't think they would have to slim the seat down if it gets deployed on the A350.

Comment

• WiFi and new a380 ???

Was there any mention on the WiFi these new a380 and the soon to be updated planes will be getting?

The current a380 internet is kind of bad deal. Slow and expensive

Comment

• Thank you yflyer for your kind help in posting my pictures.

I prefer to reserve my verdict on the new products after I have experienced them onboard the actual planes in an actual flight.
              However, here are some initial thoughts after seeing the mock-up of the new products at the event:

Suites
              - The new Suites is definitely a big step up from the previous product, with a seat that is completely separate. This, however, seems to be a response to competitor’s product rather than something groundbreaking or impressive. After all, there is no showers and no common dining room/lounging area on SQ’s new Suites. This is sensible and efficient, which I can understand. However, I think the inability of dining face to face in Suites is a big oversight.
              - I like the increased privacy of the new Suites with higher walls and doors.
              - I like the many storage spaces within the Suites. It is also way more spacious than the current Suites product.
              - I would think Etihad Apartment’s dining position is better, since you can have your window view while having your meals. That way we would feel less boxed in. However, let’s see how it is onboard the actual plane.
              - I think they have somewhat listened to *some* feedbacks about the amenity kits – they now have one Male and one Female kit for outbound flights, and a unisex kit with a candle instead of EDT spray for inbound flights. Definitely less boring than what they offer currently.
              - The choice of the brand for the kits is a bit weird to say the least. Don’t get me wrong, the Encre Noire fragrance for men’s kit smells nice. But Lalique is hardly something we think of as a brand for premium toiletries. It is like Bentley branded perfumes. Yes, Bentley is a high-end brand. But for cars. Not toiletries. I would not want to use Bentley or Lalique branded skincare products (body lotion or lip balm) as it is not their area of expertise (same problem with the current Ferragamo kits). The choice of brands onboard reflects SQ’s positioning in the market. Lalique, in my opinion, is neither here nor there.
              - Same thing about the PJs. I don’t understand the branding of Lalique (or previously Givenchy) on the PJs or blankets. To me, the material and its comfort is way more important than the branding. After all, the Givenchy PJs were not really relevant to Riccardo Tisci’s designs which made Givenchy so popular in the past few years. A Singapore Airlines logo on a comfortable PJ with good quality material is more respectable than a Lalique PJ, in my opinion.

Business
              - Business Class products on SQ have always consistently feel more premium than on other airlines, as is evident in this new version as well. Comfort, however is somewhat a different matter. I don’t like the fact that the seat is facing forward but the cubby hole is to the sides. This is not a problem if I can get the bulkhead seats. But for normal seats, this is quite a discomfort.
              In comparison, CX’s Business Class on the 77Ws is comfortable during take-off/landing, lounging, and bed mode (no cubby hole!).
              - I would be interested to see how well the seat works into bed-mode. After all, the seat seems to have contours. I hope in bed-mode those contours are comfortable to sleep across on.
              - I like the look of the window seats (not shown during the event) from the pictures on the media articles. The ottoman is fixed at the window side, making the seat-to-bed conversion one step less of a hassle. It seems like window seats is the way to go for the new Business Class.
              - I like the increased privacy and shape of the overall suite of Business Class seat. I do not believe having doors like Qatar’s new Business Q-suites are necessary in Business Class.
              - Indeed, it seems like getting in and out of the center seats with the meal table deployed will be a challenge. Window seats should not have this problem as the table deploys from the window side rather than the aisle side.
              - Penhaligon is a respectable brand to be in Business Class lavatories.

Comment

Thanks, GR1!

I think 2017 Y is about comparable to 2013 Y: in some ways better, in other ways I still prefer 2013 Y. Of course this is just an initial impression -- the only way to know for sure is to spend 13 hours in it!

For the new 2017 J seat, I actually think it is quite superb, both in design and function. It was quite hard for me to tell from the photos how it was, but having tried it, I find the design very sophisticated and elegant, even compared to 2013 J.

Thanks a lot for your insight, I always look forward to your comments and now that you have mentioned -- completely agree its not right to make a judgement merely by looking at the photos. Truly hope they surpass expectations when the products are launched.

Comment

• Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                  I believe the overall cabin width of the A350 is wider than that of the A380 upper deck so i don't think they would have to slim the seat down if it gets deployed on the A350.
                  Hi loldude333
                  It's actually not - the A350 cabin width is 5.61m (221 in) - while the A380 upper deck cabin width is 5.80m (228 in). Though its not a significant difference so I am not sure if that would affect the seats themselves or just lead to tighter aisles on the A350.

Comment

• Originally posted by GR1 View Post
                    Hi loldude333
                    It's actually not - the A350 cabin width is 5.61m (221 in) - while the A380 upper deck cabin width is 5.80m (228 in). Though its not a significant difference so I am not sure if that would affect the seats themselves or just lead to tighter aisles on the A350.
                    I stand corrected.

Comment

No, I didn't notice A/C outlets in Y (Although I wasn't looking too hard for them...). It is not clear if they have been left out (A major omission if that is the case! Even Scoot has A/C power), or if it is only the mock-ups that don't have them, and the actual planes do.
                      They should be embedded into the seat even if it is a mock-up. If it is supposed to be there, then why did they feature the USB charging port but not the AC outlet in the mock-up designs?

Comment

• Is the 2 pin plug below the USB port for the headphones?

Comment

• Thanks StarG for sharing your thoughts especially the branding part.

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                          However, I think the inability of dining face to face in Suites is a big oversight.
                          I was asked by someone to reply to this quote of yours with this:"When you are onboard, ask for companion dining"

One more thing. The bed in Suites can apparently be set to various recline positions as well. ie. propped up to eat or watch tv in bed

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                            One more thing. The bed in Suites can apparently be set to various recline positions as well. ie. propped up to eat or watch tv in bed
                            Are you serious? I don't think so... Based on what I saw, it's just a flat board-like platform that can be flipped up to stow or down. There's no way to prop it up to varying degrees of recline...like a hospital bed.

Comment

• Originally posted by wdranne View Post
                              Are you serious? I don't think so... Based on what I saw, it's just a flat board-like platform that can be flipped up to stow or down. There's no way to prop it up to varying degrees of recline...like a hospital bed.
                              Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                              See the mechanism near the seat belt? Its not a flat board

The bedhead has a gas spring to keep the head up to watch a movie for example while lying down.
                              Extracting this quote from here: https://www.airlineratings.com/news/...-major-awards/
                              Last edited by 9V-JKL; 8 November 2017, 10:36 AM. Reason: Added link & code

Comment

• Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
                                Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
                                They should be embedded into the seat even if it is a mock-up. If it is supposed to be there, then why did they feature the USB charging port but not the AC outlet in the mock-up designs?
                                I just learnt from an acquaintance that the Y seats do have A/C sockets, just not in a very obvious location, in the lower portion of the armrest between the seats in front of you.

In fact, it was in an earlier picture all along…

Last edited by yflyer; 8 November 2017, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X