The new SQ cabin classes - Discussion & speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suites...

Last edited by yflyer; 4 November 2017, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• Pair of suites...

Comment

• Business Class (1-2-1 Layout)

Bulkheard J seats, converted to a double bed...

Business Class Seating...

A cover of SQflyergirl's signature photo...

Last edited by yflyer; 4 November 2017, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• Lalique amenities...

Comment

• Catering...

Comment

• And saving the best for last...some familiar faces from SQ's ads and videos, adding a personal touch to the event...

Comment

• Suites
                - It looks really nice and it's like a hotel room! Though I hope to see the possibility of 2-people dining instead of just sharing the bed

Business Class
                - MOST IRRITANT THING: Even if sitted at a window seat, I feel that the shield will block the view! Why can't the table for window seats be situated at the aisle instead?! That definitely brings more privacy and better view to the window!

Premium Economy
                - I hate the colour, very very much

Economy
                - It looks SUPER cheap...

Comment

• Thanks for the nice pictures! Do you have any pictures of the economy class?
                  Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

• The business class seat looks very awkward in the sleeping position. Foot well seems a lot smaller and off at quite an angle.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                      If the introduction is indeed that slow, it's possible SYD may have SKU only until SKV arrives. Once it does, SYD loses the new A380 so that LHR can go daily, and potentially a shorter destination like HKG could have it some days in between the LHR flights. SKW's arrival would return the new product to SYD. That's just a thought I had given SQ's tendency to favour product consistency on a long haul flight.

It seems now that the temporary change to 77Ws on the CDG route may simply be to shore up supply of A380s for the peak period as the oldest 5 come off lease. For it to be a kickstart to refitting, it will have to be extended beyond March 2018.

The other issue is the A380's somewhat higher maintenance time and tendency to go tech. While J and Y passengers will be disappointed when that happens to their new A380, Suites is such an entirely different product that there'll be pretty upset passengers in them with a last minute change.
                      SQ221/SQ332 for the 1st new A380 as we know from next month ...
                      then probably SQ322/SQ305 for the 2nd from March/April 2018 ...

But any thoughts/insights guys on where the 3rd, 4th and 5th new A380s will end up? And any predictions on the likely timeframe in your experiences?

I would have thought that SQ would want all five up and running by the end of 2018 ... ahead of starting the retrofits on the other 14? Is that not possible?

Comment

• Originally posted by calafprive View Post
                        I would have thought that SQ would want all five up and running by the end of 2018 ... ahead of starting the retrofits on the other 14? Is that not possible?
                        SQ will get them when Airbus deliver them. The 5 new ones are replacements for the oldest 5, so what we also have to take into account is when those will leave the fleet. So far we've seen 2 leave and none arrive, so there's zero room to commence refits and Paris has even lost the A380 temporarily.

Any predictions of routes other than SYD and LHR or when the refits will begin, and which set of A380s they will target first, is pure crystal ball gazing. (Not that we don't like doing that on here!)

Comment

• Originally posted by edison View Post
                          Maybe just fly from MEL?
                          Good excuse for visiting MEL too and check a few more funky eateries off my foodie list - I like the way you think. We used to go via MEL when we lived in BNE as only EK offered F ex-BNE back then (and EY for a short period). Prefer a direct flight even in 'regular' F if we can help it though, seeing as it's also cheaper to burn on a *A award on TG, and we've also built up good Points balances across both Velocity/KrisFlyer & QFF to maximise our options.
                          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• This is a video from the event. Start at 2:40 and then watch Suites and Business Class. Answers a lot of questions and gives a better idea that the products are indeed an improvement:

https://youtu.be/5y3H4LSeCK4

Comment

• Not really important, but the event took place on 02 November, not 03 November
                              Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• A bit puzzled by the Business Class solution to extend the "sleeping surface". If you check Sam Chui's video at 10' 10", you notice the shelf sliding out.
                                This item will be used also to put your legs up when the seat is in Z position. I can see a couple of issues: A) if you are just lounging and not sleeping, and want to get out, you need to jump over the element, or stow it away. B) when people are resting and want to get out, as observed on long flights to EWR in total darkness, they will place their feet on such elements to step out the now narrower niche of the bed (compared with Diamond). Not sure how it will behave after being subjected to heavy weight.
                                In terms of design, it is more modern, although I see detailing a bit questionable, like the integration of the mirror compartment (a box sticking out of the side wall?) or the screen integration (before integrated in a sleek way, now sticking out, and few more).

As for the Suites:

- The grey tones (in connection to the cool grey & blue of Economy) seems to be a bit of a missed opportunity to let the large space stand out in a warm/charming and uniquely refined way. While the carpet is a rich hand tufted one, it borders with a stone design which is not, as indicated by somebody, VIP - it is a PVF film and therefore has a pretty plastic look. The combinations of different greys let you miss some "First" refinement overall and hints more at Business (old American Airlines ...).
                                Design wise, the forms sees a mix of sharp edges (bed when not deployed) and generous curves (chair, console) which speak some different language.

Pity is one cannot dine and look outside, nor dine with a companion face to face.

Of course, in any design, choices have to be made. It would be interesting to hear from SQ PID the logic behind their choices for each specific product set up, in details.

Comment

Working...
                                X