The new SQ cabin classes - Discussion & speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQavgeek View Post
    When are the 777-9's entering service? If it is after 2021 it might be possible that they even make a new product?
    From fiscal year 2021/22. SQ fiscal years start in April.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
      Good point. That was my thought on why Y seemed to look narrower. I can definitely tell this is what will be on the 787-10 and the 777X
      Don't think the Y products on SQ's 787-10 or 777X have been announced yet. Have they?

Comment

• Retrofit work will be completed only in 2020.

Retrofit work will start in late 2018 on the 14 existing A380s that will be fitted with the new products, with all targeted for completion in 2020.
        http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg.../ne2317-171102

Comment

• Looks like SQ may use similar economy seats in the B787-10. KLM already uses similar seat model on their 10-abreast reteofitted B777s and 9-abreast B789s, and I believe QR also uses the same seat model on their retrofitted 10-abreast B77Ws.
          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• I attended the official launch event in Singapore last night. SQ invited a number of passengers last year to work with them in the mock-up to fine-tune elements and listen to the people that will actually use the product.

Suites: Offering a separate bed and chair and giving so much space to a single passenger is obviously the ultimate luxury. I always felt the first generation of suites a bit too claustrophobic and that issue is definitely solved. I also never liked the seat very much so the new free-standing chair is a great feature. When your bed is folded away you really sit in your own room thanks to the about 60% larger footprint of the suites and the higher walls shielding you from the aisle. The bedding is improved: huge pillows, a better mattress and new PJs. The good news: SQ won't change the pricing so you can buy tickets in F and A and you can also redeem Saver and Standard awards. I guess that only PPS members will ever see clearance of Saver awards but I noticed some saver waitlist availability on certain flights.

Business Class: Absolutely stunning. The final product was quite different from the mock-up and I was very impressed. They are now using materials like carbon-fiber to allow for the cocoon-like shell for increased privacy (the outer walls are also thinner which allows them to increase total number of seats). The bulkhead seats remain the best option with the additional space. Seats will feature a seatcover/comforter, a nice duvet and bigger pillows for a better sleep. Narumi will be used for tableware. This is the best business class seat SQ has ever seen and it is distinctively different (and nicer) than the Diamond seats on CX or QR.

Comment

• Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
              I attended the official launch event in Singapore last night. SQ invited a number of passengers last year to work with them in the mock-up to fine-tune elements and listen to the people that will actually use the product.

Suites: Offering a separate bed and chair and giving so much space to a single passenger is obviously the ultimate luxury. I always felt the first generation of suites a bit too claustrophobic and that issue is definitely solved. I also never liked the seat very much so the new free-standing chair is a great feature. When your bed is folded away you really sit in your own room thanks to the about 60% larger footprint of the suites and the higher walls shielding you from the aisle. The bedding is improved: huge pillows, a better mattress and new PJs. The good news: SQ won't change the pricing so you can buy tickets in F and A and you can also redeem Saver and Standard awards. I guess that only PPS members will ever see clearance of Saver awards but I noticed some saver waitlist availability on certain flights.

Business Class: Absolutely stunning. The final product was quite different from the mock-up and I was very impressed. They are now using materials like carbon-fiber to allow for the cocoon-like shell for increased privacy (the outer walls are also thinner which allows them to increase total number of seats). The bulkhead seats remain the best option with the additional space. Seats will feature a seatcover/comforter, a nice duvet and bigger pillows for a better sleep. Narumi will be used for tableware. This is the best business class seat SQ has ever seen and it is distinctively different (and nicer) than the Diamond seats on CX or QR.
              So you knew the secrets this whole time!! Question for you --- I know that it seems impossible for companion dining in this new F configuration, but I saw some of the pictures that showed that the table is right next to the bed when it's deployed. Would it possible for two people to dine together with one sitting on the bed, while the other one sitting in the chair? Has anyone from SQ addressed that possibility?

Comment

• Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                Don't think the Y products on SQ's 787-10 or 777X have been announced yet. Have they?
                No, but it still gives us a small idea of what SQ could implement on those aircraft in terms of the seat pitch.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcnkc View Post
                  So you knew the secrets this whole time!! Question for you --- I know that it seems impossible for companion dining in this new F configuration, but I saw some of the pictures that showed that the table is right next to the bed when it's deployed. Would it possible for two people to dine together with one sitting on the bed, while the other one sitting in the chair? Has anyone from SQ addressed that possibility?

They make you sign a contract so you can't talk

Look at picture and Suite 2A above: the table is attached opposite to the bed so you won't achieve a face-to-face situation. Good question on why this was not considered. Was certainly not part of my feedback.

Comment

• I'm sure SQ can cater a foldable stool should companion dining be required.

To be supplied by Lalique of course

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                      Just watched Sam Chui's video. Does anyone else think that the Lalique branding/partnership is a little too prominent? On the Suites bedding duvet and emblazoned on the pajamas top pocket taking up as much real estate as it can. Are they paying SQ for advertising/showcasing their brand? Would it not be better for SQ to have their own branding (less prominently) on the pajamas?
                      Agreed! SQ is a premium brand, it deserves to be showcased. Frankly that large Lalique logo is not to my taste.

Overall though, although I've thoroughly perused the microsite, and watched the various videos, I'm still not sure what to make of it. On one hand, it is in some ways a leap above the EY current class leading effort, which itself surpassed SQ's original Suites in a range of criteria. SQ has come up with a design that leads in multiple fronts -- unprecedented space, the swivel and reclining chair, etc. However, the color scheme is less rich than the original Suites, and there seems to be "wasted" space (although it definitely will add to the psychological sense of spaciousness), not to mention the inability to dine face to face, or sleep with a view out the window.

Thus, overall I currently think it's definitely a step beyond the original Suites, but I wonder whether there was a missed opportunity here. My main impression is that it's wonderful, but muted and even a bit sterile feeling. Maybe it's the photos. Also maybe it is because expectations for SQ are so high -- they are supposed to be the very best, and often are. In this case, the new Suites are objectively the best on a number of criteria. The question for me is whether they will feel the best overall, and maybe that requires a more close look.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                        So they can fit 10 across on the 787?
                        I believe 10-across on the 777-9 and 9-across on the 787-10 require the seats to be maximum 17.5in in width, not the 18.5in the new A380 seat is. Perhaps that is the widest seat Recaro could manufacture based on the template design. I'm thinking we'll definitely see these Y seats on the newer aircraft; as some have mentioned, other airlines (QR's 77Ws for one) already use a similar design.

Comment

• The new products overall look quite nice, I especially like the new colour scheme, appears really classy and modern. The fact that J can be converted into a bed without flipping the seat is a great improvement, as that was the biggest gripe of mine with the older designs.

What I’m curious about is whether we will see these products end up on the current A350 fleet, which on average are less than a year old but already have an older product. And will all future A350s here on out be delivered with the new products?

Comment

• [QUOTE=259850;214169]Retrofit work will be completed only in 2020.

another almost 3 years before all its A380s are fitted with the new seats.....thats quite awhile

Comment

• New A380 joining the fleet:

Dec 2017: 1 aircraft, start of SIN-SYD
                              April 2018: 1 aircraft, extension to LHR
                              Q4 2018: 1 aircraft, (?)

There won't be any retrofits completed in 2018 or if at all only very late in the year.

For 2018, there will be one flight on LHR-SIN, SIN-SYD, SYD-SIN and SIN-LHR every day where people can fly the new products.

Comment

• The only negative for me is the eventual zeroing out of Suites Saver redemption inventory out of SYD when the 2nd 380 rotation does get upgraded. At least in the early stages of the product lifecycle anyway. I'm not good with waitlisting and with zero status the DYKWIA dog won't hunt. Old Suites is still nicer than the 77W F. So hopefully the 2nd A380 doesn't get assigned an upgraded plane before flight bookings open for Christmas 2018...
                                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                                X