Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airport/ Government Taxes vary by class??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport/ Government Taxes vary by class??

Was checking out some redemption fares to LHR, and noticed that the Airport and Government Taxes are MORE for Business/ First than Economy. I know the carrier surcharges (I.e. Fuel) was always more for premium cabins, but any idea why Airport/ Govt Taxes are higher for premium cabins? Odd...
    Fly well,
    Travel safe,
    And have a pleasant journey.

Shouldn't have it if you are redeeming TO LHR.

From LHR, or any other UK ports, there is Air Passenger Duty, of which F/J/PY are taxed extra.

Comment

UK has a progressive departure tax. Some Scottish airports - INV and further north for example are exempt.

Comment

It's the Air Passenger Duty ex-LHR for the return leg (assuming you are flying SIN-LHR-SIN). JCL pax are taxed more - it used to be quite complex with three or four regions, but I think it has since whittled down to two.

Comment

For SIA, the fuel surcharges will varies with the class of travel, with more being paid in the premium cabins. This will soon be absorbed into the base fare at the end of this month.

Example of how the fuel surcharges varies across different cabins can be found here:
          www.etg.travel/file/download/35086

Comment

Originally posted by SQ747 View Post
            Was checking out some redemption fares to LHR, and noticed that the Airport and Government Taxes are MORE for Business/ First than Economy. I know the carrier surcharges (I.e. Fuel) was always more for premium cabins, but any idea why Airport/ Govt Taxes are higher for premium cabins? Odd...
            Well I guess the more you pay on a ticket the more they wanna tax you ??? kinda like income tax - hehe

Also some Airports like LHR do offer Fast Track on Departures / Arrivals so perhaps this is the premium cost?

Comment

AFAIK the original rationale was carbon related - lower density of seating incurs more carbon footprint. In reality it's just a cash cow.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
                AFAIK the original rationale was carbon related - lower density of seating incurs more carbon footprint. In reality it's just a cash cow.
                That's exactly the criticism when it was announced. Incoming Tory governments aren't known to rush to pass green taxes...

Comment

Working...
                X