Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ B777 below minimum safe altitude at CBR

https://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetal...ra-last-month/

Isn't there some kind of auto mechanism to prevent this from happening? From my non-aviation knowledge of CBR, this can be dangerous as CBR is surrounded (on all sides?) by the Brindabella ranges

Comment

Jammed - if you look at the original article there are comments when you scroll past all the ads. The comments from Comet March 2 9:07PM, and subsequent, refer to the 777 systems for terrain avoidance.

Comment

I'd want a better source of info than Crikey before I got too concerned.

I don't hold it in the highest regard...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          I'd want a better source of info than Crikey before I got too concerned.

I don't hold it in the highest regard...
          SQ228 - In general terms I can't disagree with that ! But I have never found much technical knowledge on SQ Talk. Its great for info about routes, pax experience, fleet changes and, if you are interested, celebrity sightings and staff uniforms. I am sure we agree that one would need to go elsewhere to find out how SQ291 has got itself into an ATSB Safety Investigation.

If you are doubting the veracity of the original Crikey report (rather than the reader comments under pseudonyms (like Concorde and SQ228 ! )) I suggest you start with the ATSB website listing of the investigation:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/...r/ao-2017-026/

Comment

Originally posted by Concorde View Post
            SQ228 - In general terms I can't disagree with that ! But I have never found much technical knowledge on SQ Talk.
            I find PPRuNe and airliners.net to be the first place I look when incidents or accidents occur. Should I be looking elsewhere too?

On those forums, there are a number of experts, but also a lot of armchair experts who are prone to speculation. Signal to noise ratio on those forums isn't great, but there is usually some good information there for those who have the patience to weed through the pages and pages of posts.

I think there are experts lurking on SQTalk. Some of the regulars here may not be aviation professionals, but I believe they do have access to experts and those in the know. They are just quite restrained in posting information or speculation on a public forum like this one.

Comment

Great post yflyer - I agree with all your points. I would also add Aviation Herald www.avherald.com which seems to get the known facts summarised very quickly after an accident/incident. As I write, there are already four incident reports from yesterday and the day before. The comments section sometimes suffers from the same signal to noise ratio problem you mentioned.
              Last edited by Concorde; 7 March 2017, 04:03 AM. Reason: Correction of incident report count/dates

Comment

Great post yflyer - I agree with all your points. I would also add Aviation Herald www.avherald.com which seems to get the known facts summarised very quickly after an accident/incident. As I write, there are already four incident reports from yesterday and the day before. The comments section sometimes suffers from the same signal to noise ratio problem you mentioned.
                Also proven to be very accurate.

Comment

Jammed - if you look at the original article there are comments when you scroll past all the ads. The comments from Comet March 2 9:07PM, and subsequent, refer to the 777 systems for terrain avoidance.
                  Thanks Concorde I actually verified thru AVherald but as the only flying I do is as pax I can't tell the nos any better.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                    ... Signal to noise ratio....
                    A little OT here, but I like your use of on SNR here @yflyer ...

Comment

Originally posted by jammed View Post
                      Isn't there some kind of auto mechanism to prevent this from happening? From my non-aviation knowledge of CBR, this can be dangerous as CBR is surrounded (on all sides?) by the Brindabella ranges
                      777s are equipped with EGPWS. Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System. The aircraft has a database of the world's map of terrains and using its current position and altitude, if it detects impending flight into terrain, it would give aural warning in the cockpit. " Terrain, terrain, pull up !" The pilots could also choose to have a visual indication of the terrain around them on their navigation display for heightened awareness.

Comment

Learn something new everyday thanks vy much for that - images of Air Crash Investigation comes to mind

Comment

Working...
                        X