Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9V-SWB

Hi,

I love SQ and fly with them a lot! Just have some concerns with 9V-SWB in terms of safety. This is the aircraft whose wing caught fire upon landing at Changi. It looked like the engine and the wing were badly damaged. I am sure that they did an excellent job at repairing, but as somewhat of a nervous flier, need some reassurance.

Did they replace the right wing and the right engine?

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

sqtx

Are you a reporter? What makes you think you'll be specifically flying SWB?

Comment

No, I'm not a reporter. I am booked in premium eco, LAX-SIN via ICN, and this plane is one of the 777s that has premium eco. So, there's a possibility to get this plane.

Comment

At the moment its probably one of the safest in the fleet. Its just had a major overhaul replacing and repairing damaged parts. They stripped all the paint of the aircraft and have done an inspection of the air frame. I wouldn't be concerned if I was on a flight with that aircraft.

Comment

Like FN-GM says, there's no need to be concerned. SQ obviously did enough tests, and even an air test to prove that the plane can operate in safe conditions. If you get this bird, you'll be fine, don't worry.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses! Makes me feel a lot better!! I am so excited about my upcoming flights in Dec. Very long ones- aus-lax-icn-sin-ccu. Looking fwd to the prem eco product in the lax-sin part. I already booked the cook.

I flew on SQ prem eco in March (new 9V-SNB). They were promoting the product at SFO for an additional $300 upgrade, so not bad. It was really nice overall. I felt the food was almost the same as Y. The seat was definitely better! The noise canceling headphones are a nice touch but I think my Bose noise canceling does a better job and so, I didn't use SQ's.

Comment

Originally posted by sqtx View Post
              Hi,

I love SQ and fly with them a lot! Just have some concerns with 9V-SWB in terms of safety. This is the aircraft whose wing caught fire upon landing at Changi. It looked like the engine and the wing were badly damaged. I am sure that they did an excellent job at repairing, but as somewhat of a nervous flier, need some reassurance.

Did they replace the right wing and the right engine?

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

sqtx

Don't worry i was on 9V-SWB earlier this week from MUC and it was alright.

I forgot that SWB was the burnt plane until i entered the cabin and noticed the new seats and I happened to sit on the starboard window seat and noticed a very new looking wing.

i googled 9v-swb rightaway and the results were just about the SQ368 incident.

Comment

Ponders, thank you for the reassuring post!!

Comment

Currently doing SQ8/11 to LAX (via ICN, then via NRT). Evidence is strongest that SWB has the new seats and configured as 4 class. Thanks to any experts who did fly SWB to know what's up.

Comment

What is the best way to check which specific aircraft will be operating a specific flight on a specific day?

Comment

Originally posted by oxymoron1984 View Post
                      What is the best way to check which specific aircraft will be operating a specific flight on a specific day?
                      After the flight takes off there are many sources. Before the flight takes off, if it is leaving from somewhere other than Changi, then you check which plane is headed to the destination as part of the flight pair.

If the flight is departing from Changi, icargo.net is sometimes helpful a few hours before the flight.

If you are looking to see exactly which registration has been assigned to a future flight, there is no source. Airlines do not release that information well in advance, and even when you can view it 3 or 4 hours prior to take off, it is still very much subject to change. Often icargo.net doesn't update the change until take-off or not at all. It's really not the kind of info we want to be publicly available either, given safety concerns.

Comment

Thank you for the detailed reply, SQ228. Appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                          After the flight takes off there are many sources. Before the flight takes off, if it is leaving from somewhere other than Changi, then you check which plane is headed to the destination as part of the flight pair.

If the flight is departing from Changi, icargo.net is sometimes helpful a few hours before the flight.

If you are looking to see exactly which registration has been assigned to a future flight, there is no source. Airlines do not release that information well in advance, and even when you can view it 3 or 4 hours prior to take off, it is still very much subject to change. Often icargo.net doesn't update the change until take-off or not at all. It's really not the kind of info we want to be publicly available either, given safety concerns.
                          When SWW was the first new J 77W flying LHR, I was looking at the pattern of flight 1 week prior and noticed it was rotating amongst SWV and SWU. I predicted that my flight would be SWW and I was right. haha

Other that that I guess it is next to impossible to know for a future flight unless you are in operations.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post

I know it's pretty irrelevant, but iCargo and FR24 match the registration rostered to its particular route we are tracking.

And yes, the registration only changes when the Corr. Arrival flight number changes (The registration remains as is in its database).

e.g. SQ318 getting 9V-SWZ off SQ228, but reg 9V-SWZ still remains, and the most accurate information is the Corr. Arrival flight (Which could change from say SQ228 to SQ377). Unless any changes, the latest one is correct enough 3-4 hours before departure.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                              Unless any changes, the latest one is correct enough 3-4 hours before departure.
                              Yes, that's exactly what I said.

Comment

Working...
                              X