Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SQ16/15 (A few questions/thoughts about it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ16/15 (A few questions/thoughts about it)

As this is the final week SQ16/15 operate to SFO via ICN, I wanted to ask a few things regarding this.

1) When did SQ16/15 first start? Early 90's, 80's? Asking, only because I have some memories of flying this flight, probably mostly when it was a 744 at one point of time.

2) I don't know if anyone really remembers this from the late 90's or early 2000's, but during the Winter schedule season, has SQ16 really arrived to SFO like at 8AM or 9AM (or earlier)? Somehow I recall arriving probably in 2001 back home with luggages with my parents around 8 or 9AM back home, I think. If not, probably I don't remember much because I was still very young at that point of time.

3) Not a question, but honestly, I think I will miss this flight pair, given it was always a pleasure to have a transit stop in ICN and the airport has changed overtime to my perception at least. Sometimes it was always good to arrive back at SFO in the morning/afternoon, but other times still have preferred SQ2 via HKG, even when it was a 744. But having said all that, I hope that everyone gets to enjoy the new SQ32/31 flight. If I can wake up, I will probably come to SFO, 30 minutes from my house for the inaugural, but I will not make any promises.

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
    1) When did SQ16/15 first start? Early 90's, 80's? Asking, only because I have some memories of flying this flight, probably mostly when it was a 744 at one point of time.
    Probably not inline with the answers that you're after, here is my thoughts/memories anyway...

SQ15/16, as a "flight number", have existed since at least the late 80's / early 90's. I remember back in '91 SQ15/16 had the routing SIN-TPE-HNL-LAX on a B743. It was the only time SQ flew to HNL, before finally pulling the HNL stop and the flight then became the (fateful) SQ6 SIN-TPE-LAX. The SQ15/16 flight numbers was pulled from SQ's network with the termination of the HNL stop AFAIR (as far as I remember). And, back around 91-93, SQ15/16 had the distinction of being the only 2-stop SQ flight - with the progressive introduction of the B744, a lot of the SIN-Europe B747 flights have become one-stop only.

And I believe the current SQ15/16 flight pair SIN-ICN-SFO started probably the late 90's / early 2000's - can't remember the exact timeframe for this.
    Last edited by wlgspotter; 17 October 2016, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
      I remember back in '91 SQ15/16 had the routing SIN-TPE-HNL-LAX on a B743. It was the only time SQ flew to HNL, before finally pulling the HNL stop and the flight then became the (fateful) SQ6 SIN-TPE-LAX.
      Not quite correct. The SIN-SFO / SFO-SIN route, aka SQ2 and SQ1, also stopped over in HNL in the '80s. The complete routing was SIN-HKG-HNL-SFO and vice versa. Took this super-long flight several times when I was a wee lad to visit my eldest sister, who was living in the States at that time, so thanks for the little trip down nostalgia lane.

Comment

SQfanatic, this may be of interest to you. SQ's schedules in 1972, 1973/74, 1977/78, 1985/86 and 1993. Pity there are large holes in the database, but it's a good start.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...lines-network/

Comment

Those are very good answers. Never knew 16/15 were LAX flights at one point of time. Just like SQ8/7 coming were actually SIN-HKG-LAS and vv at one point too.

Comment

Originally posted by cowie View Post
            Not quite correct. The SIN-SFO / SFO-SIN route, aka SQ2 and SQ1, also stopped over in HNL in the '80s. The complete routing was SIN-HKG-HNL-SFO and vice versa. Took this super-long flight several times when I was a wee lad to visit my eldest sister, who was living in the States at that time, so thanks for the little trip down nostalgia lane.
            My bad @cowie and I stand corrected. And yes I did remember about SIN-HKG-HNL-SFO too. Before the B744 came along I guess the B743 (and perhaps even the B742 before it) just didn't have the range to do HKG-SFO non-stop.

Comment

I will remember SQ16/15 fondly for being the easiest flights to get F saver awards to the US...
              The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Well folks, today's certainly the last day of SFO being a 77WR (SG time). As far as 9V-SMF, currently doing HKG then probably KUL (or CGK) and do an overnight stay prepping for SFO (provided if and only if (iff.) it does not do a redeye Europe flight).

For those of you flying SQ32, take plenty of pictures, and if there's a gate party, take pictures of everything. Again, absolutely no promises but I will try to come to SFO to see the water canon salute of the 359 if my parents and I can wake up (Which I highly doubt at least for now).

Comment

Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
                  My bad @cowie and I stand corrected. And yes I did remember about SIN-HKG-HNL-SFO too. Before the B744 came along I guess the B743 (and perhaps even the B742 before it) just didn't have the range to do HKG-SFO non-stop.
                  before the 747, SIA was using the DC-10-30 for its US flights - and HNL was then use as a tech refuelling stop only.

Comment

This is my first post... and I think it is apt to post it in this thread.

I actually have hazy memories of me as a young child, leaving LAX on SQ15 (did I get the flight number correct?), and stopping at HNL to connect to SQ2 to HKG.

Did I remember correctly? In the days of the 747-300, that was quite an efficient way for SQ to connect both TPE and HKG to both SFO and LAX.

Comment

Working...
                    X