SQ bans Samsung Galaxy Note 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ bans Samsung Galaxy Note 7

SQ has issued notice that it is banning Samsung Galaxy Note 7 on all flights effective 0000 hours Singapore Time on 16 Oct. This also implies that the phones cannot be checked in as cargo.

FAA has also issued such a notice yesterday or two days ago.

I wonder what will happen to those passengers who are on their return trip back on SQ and who are carrying the Note 7.

This raises a few questions. Is SQ overreacting? Will passengers be denied boarding? How are they going to enforce this?

They're even doing the same thing in the US with even US-domestic flights as well. I think most international carriers will follow suit as well. As far as Samsung goes, I also heard in the news that they will no longer manufacture the Note 7 mainly because of this type of concern.

This has made my mom a little bit paranoid about all Samsung Galaxy phones. We have a Samsung Galaxy E7 phone (That only works on cellular data only in India), but my mom is very scared to charge it on the plane as something serious might happen. Even though the E7 doesn't fall under the Note family, would she be ok in charging it especially before she reaches SIN before her 2 hour layover to India (Trivandrum)? And would it be wise for her to ask a F/A on SQ31 if charging of this device is okay?

Thank God in the US, my parents and I only have the iPhone 6S. However, I feel for those who have Samsung Galaxy Note phones and those I heard who been wanting it so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
      SQ has issued notice that it is banning Samsung Galaxy Note 7 on all flights effective 0000 hours Singapore Time on 16 Oct. This also implies that the phones cannot be checked in as cargo.

FAA has also issued such a notice yesterday or two days ago.

I wonder what will happen to those passengers who are on their return trip back on SQ and who are carrying the Note 7.

This raises a few questions. Is SQ overreacting? Will passengers be denied boarding? How are they going to enforce this?
      If they ban them they are overreacting. If they don't ban them, they are endangering lives. Everyone has a differing opinion, just like with the 'hoverboard circus' last Xmas.

Lithium Ion batteries are a necessity of our time, but we don't like to think of them as being as volatile as they are in certain circumstances.

Comment

They certainly aren't overreacting. Would you like it if someone carried a potentially explosive/flammable item on board your flight? They'd lose more customers continuing to allow Note 7s then banning them, methinks.

Comment

To be fair, I don't think the airlines are over-reacting. The plane is a multi-hundred million dollars asset and there are a few hundreds lives at stake here.

My friend who was carrying a Note 7 flown back to SIN on SQ yesterday.....without his Note 7. I heard there is a Samsung counter that take back your Note 7 at the airport and give you a note to claim a refund when you get back home.

(Audio)

Comment

Working...
          X