Long haul travel with 11 months old infant in SQ J class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long haul travel with 11 months old infant in SQ J class

Hi everyone, apologies if this has been asked before.

I have a long haul trip coming up with my husband and then 11 months old infant on SQ J class from AMS-SUB with a stopover in SIN next January.

This will be our first trip with our daughter so we are very anxious.

My questions are - how are bassinets in SQ J class? Are they the same as in Y class? Any pics will be great!

We are booked in 19D & 19F in SQ's new A350 from AMS to SIN and 1C & 1D from SIN-SUB with MI. Will the bassinet be restricting our movements?

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated as well! Thank you in advance.

Not too sure about the bassinets, but they'll most likely be almost identical to those in Economy. Shouldn't get in the way much at all, because those bassinet bulkhead seats have plenty of room.
    SQ is great at taking care of infants and young children. Crew will make everything a breeze.
    Fly well,
    Travel safe,
    And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

I've only been on SQ J regional, SQ Y and MI Y with infant. Bassinets looks quite similar. Actually, the baby food was rather like Y food, with the tray and all.

Will be on the A350 J with infant next year June too, any feedback / pictures would be great for me.

Tips / tricks for flying with infant:
      1) Take off and landings would require equalizing of ear pressure, which infant would not know how to do. Either make them sleep for that duration, or prepare milk / snacks to consume during that period. I've had luck with getting hot water upon entering the aircraft (for milk). Plus if your infant is still on semi-solid food, best to bring some of your own, especially if SQ might not have any snacks suitable (other than the main meal).
      2) Baby carrier. If you have one, carry it on the flight. I usually carry the infant in the carrier to board / disembark, as there is usually plenty of bags (esp travelling with babies), thus hands free would be good. Also, it is great to make them sleep if you have to walk around the plane to do so.
      3) Toys or tablet. Toys/tablet to keep them occupied, esp during adult meal times. Tablet loaded with baby videos might be a good way to keep them occupied (if not already sleeping), so that you can have your meal in peace.
      4) Change of clothes / food / milk powder. Prepare more than enough items, if possible. I always carry on enough milk powder/snacks for the flight plus like 6 hours delay. I believe SQ does carry some spare milk powder, but different brands might have different tastes and some children can be very picky when it comes to food. Similar to the semi-solid food, they might not even eat SQ's catered food at all. We usually bring these pre-packed Japanese semi-solid food, that just requires re-heating (dip into hot water), which are very convenient (and maybe a spoon for feeding).

Comment

The bassinets on SQ in C and Y are identical. But considering the age I doubt that she still fits into the bassinet (I assume she is Caucasian).
        On the Silkair flight, the bassinet will definitely putting limits to your movements, in SQ in Biz it should be okay.

The infant meal is indeed rather a child meal, probably not suitable for a baby of that age. But from my experience they normally would have solid baby food (the glasses) on board. But I would still bring food/snacks/milk along. Not an issue to get liquids thru security.

Comment

If she is more than 10kg, then she wouldn't be allowed to use the bassinet.
          God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
            The infant meal is indeed rather a child meal, probably not suitable for a baby of that age. But from my experience they normally would have solid baby food (the glasses) on board. But I would still bring food/snacks/milk along. Not an issue to get liquids thru security.
            SQ does offer a few types of meal for infants which you can choose before the flight.
            Please see SQ site for the meals descriptions.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/hk.../specialmeals/

Comment

Originally posted by fone View Post
              SQ does offer a few types of meal for infants which you can choose before the flight.
              Please see SQ site for the meals descriptions.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/hk.../specialmeals/
              Oh, SQ has obvioulsy improved on that. My kids didnt have that selection, the infant meal was in principle the child meal, but they had baby food loaded. We took SQ a few times with infants, but obviously my kids grown since than.

Comment

Baby Meal (BBML) should be the 3 jars of Heinz baby puree food.
                Post-Weaning Meal (PWMLM) is more substantial, with mashed food.
                Child Meal for Infant (CHMLI) is smaller portion of the normal child meal.

Depends on what you need, please call SQ to arrange for the meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                  If she is more than 10kg, then she wouldn't be allowed to use the bassinet.
                  I read that the bassinet will fit up to 14 kg baby?

Comment

Originally posted by fone View Post
                    Baby Meal (BBML) should be the 3 jars of Heinz baby puree food.
                    Post-Weaning Meal (PWMLM) is more substantial, with mashed food.
                    Child Meal for Infant (CHMLI) is smaller portion of the normal child meal.

Depends on what you need, please call SQ to arrange for the meal.
                    Thank you so much! I will make sure to bring some of our own onboard if allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by schumaster View Post
                      I read that the bassinet will fit up to 14 kg baby?
                      That's what it says on the website but my last couple of trips SIN-PVG-SIN with my then 6-month old, I was told the max. weight was 10kg...
                      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Speaking of milk for infant/toddlers, are we allowed to bring in fresh/UHT milk as carry ons? We'll be traveling BWN-LHR with our 3 year old this coming Monday. Local SQ rep has yet to get back to us on this.

Comment

Originally posted by dacow55 View Post
                          Speaking of milk for infant/toddlers, are we allowed to bring in fresh/UHT milk as carry ons? We'll be traveling BWN-LHR with our 3 year old this coming Monday. Local SQ rep has yet to get back to us on this.
                          Easiest thing to do is to put it into a bottle and say it's expressed breast milk for your little one...

Comment

Originally posted by dacow55 View Post
                            We did that a few times as we required lactosefree milk for our infants/children (1 liter packet). No question asked at security. Still my kids would carry small packet of Milo nowadays. We have never been asked to throw it away. Waterbottles sometimes they asked us to empty it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                              That's what it says on the website but my last couple of trips SIN-PVG-SIN with my then 6-month old, I was told the max. weight was 10kg...
                              I have traveled extensively with infants (two) and SQ is one of the best airlines to go with kids in J. Be sure to ask the cabin crew when you need a hand, even if it is to carry and hold the baby for a break. When the inflight supervisor or other senior crew check in with you at the beginning of the flight, usually they'll make an extra point to tell you they will be happy to help with any baby related requests. They really want to help you.

The bassinets were rated to 14kg on most my flying with SQ. My kids were easily using the bassinet past their first birthdays and they are relatively big kids. Bassinets were same in J as Y.

We never had any problems with bringing milk on board, first breast milk, then fresh milk. Security will usually do extra screening in US and Europe, but if it's for a baby, ultimately we have never been restricted to bringing on board. Of course, there is also fresh milk on board. If you need to keep breast milk cool, cabin crew can help.

Also, on most flights, if you run out of wet naps, they can give you nice packages of wet naps.
                              Last edited by Short Final; 30 September 2016, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X