Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIA Group posts big jump in quarterly profits, warns of challenging outlook ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIA Group posts big jump in quarterly profits, warns of challenging outlook ahead

Some snippets of its announcement:

Net profit S$257 million up from S$91 million in the corresponding period the year before
    Operating Profit $193 million up from $111 million the year before
    All SIA's businesses (SQ,TZ,MI & TR) recorded an increase in operating profit
    Fuel costs fell S$357 million in the quarter
    SQ yields declined 3.7%, TZ yields declined 3.8% and MI yields declined 8.2%
    SQ cargo suffered a deterioration in revenue and operating profit
    The group booked a S$41 million loss in its share holding of Virgin Australia.
    SIA Group: "The business outlook for the Parent Airline Company remains challenging amid economic weakness and geopolitical concerns in some markets. Competition remains intense with aggressive capacity injection, and yields will continue to remain under pressure. Yields will be further diluted if key revenue-generating currencies depreciate against the Singapore dollar." Source: Company statement, 28-Jul-2016.
    Source(s): http://centreforaviation.com/news/si...hlights-580398

The main primary sole factor responsible for its jump in profitability is the drastic drop in fuel prices. However there's still faiurly substantial surcharges that SIA still maintain as just bought a ticket from mel-sin-mel in late November and the surcharges was a whopping $245. Although SIA drop the word "fuel surcharges" but what are these surcharges then as airport and aviation taxes are given separately.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
      The main primary sole factor responsible for its jump in profitability is the drastic drop in fuel prices. However there's still faiurly substantial surcharges that SIA still maintain as just bought a ticket from mel-sin-mel in late November and the surcharges was a whopping $245. Although SIA drop the word "fuel surcharges" but what are these surcharges then as airport and aviation taxes are given separately.
      I also just 'bought' the same ticket for the same month. Mine was a saver redemption but it cost $425! For a couple hundred more I could have bought an actual ticket. I think they should rename the "fuel surcharge" as "redemption surcharge".

Comment

Working...
      X