A380 Overhead Bins in JCL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A380 Overhead Bins in JCL

Has anyone noticed how different aircraft versions have the bins in different locations in Business? It appears that some aircraft (I think the configuration with all business upper deck AND refitted with PEY) have the overhead bins in the center only, whilst others have them along the sides only.
    I didn't take much note on my last trip, but the center bins may have only been in the all business upper deck, in the aft cabin. Can't remember.

Any ideas? Thoughts on WHY? Perhaps due to more storage space or making the cabin feel more open?
    Fly well,
    Travel safe,
    And have a pleasant journey.

Probably has something to do with space constraints given the shape of the fuselage (which seems to square with my intuition regarding the A380 UD).

IIRC, the overhead bins are above the window seats only on the 77Ws.

Comment

They have always been in the center on the A380, before PEY. This post from 2014 shows this.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ss-class-seat/

Comment

I may be very wrong but if my memory is correct, the first SQ A380s (notably 2 class upper-deck) did not have centre overhead bins. Note that this is the case with the 77Ws too. The idea was to keep the cabin open.

However, subsequent batches had the the centre overhead bins reinstated. I am not sure if this coincided with the all J upper deck or earlier. A few other tweaks were also added then - like the redesigned headrest and the extra leather cushion for armrest (since the seat was deemed too wide to rest both arms neatly).

This is totally from memory but there is a A380 thread somewhere here that will provide the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
          I may be very wrong but if my memory is correct, the first SQ A380s (notably 2 class upper-deck) did not have centre overhead bins. Note that this is the case with the 77Ws too. The idea was to keep the cabin open.

However, subsequent batches had the the centre overhead bins reinstated. I am not sure if this coincided with the all J upper deck or earlier.
          Ahhh that would make sense. I definitely recall some having side bins. Interesting as to why they moved them, though.
          Fly well,
          Travel safe,
          And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ747 View Post
            Ahhh that would make sense. I definitely recall some having side bins. Interesting as to why they moved them, though.
            Yes. I remember that too but they were then moved to the centre..I didn't notice or remember that the side ones are now gone.

And yes, the change came with the all J upper deck.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...1&postcount=88

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post

However, subsequent batches had the the centre overhead bins reinstated. I am not sure if this coincided with the all J upper deck or earlier. A few other tweaks were also added then - like the redesigned headrest and the extra leather cushion for armrest (since the seat was deemed too wide to rest both arms neatly).

This is totally from memory but there is a A380 thread somewhere here that will provide the answer.

I believe the first few A380s had the bins on the side, but they were useless, and could barely fit anything into it. Only very small bags and we certainly could not fit any larger hand carry bags into it. It got smaller as it got closer to the front IIRC.

Comment

2 class
                http://www.airliners.net/photo/Singa...80-841/2699766

All business
                http://www.airliners.net/photo/Singa...80-841/2341148

Comment

Originally posted by hjerapa View Post
                  I believe the first few A380s had the bins on the side, but they were useless, and could barely fit anything into it. Only very small bags and we certainly could not fit any larger hand carry bags into it. It got smaller as it got closer to the front IIRC.
                  Yup. That's because of the curvature of the fuselage on the UD, as I mentioned earlier.

Comment

Working...
                  X