Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elite miles after a delayed flight

Good evening I need help regarding elite miles
    I was on SQ317 LHR to SIN on Thurs and it was delayed for 3 hours out of LHR due to a hydraulic failure in one of the engines (SIA managed to 'borrow' a part from BA to repair the A380) This then had a knock on effect for me as I missed my connecting flight with Silkair to DVO in SIN. Now the SIA ground team were really great and managed to get me on a Manila bound flight and then booked me on a Philippine Airlines flight to my final destination of Davao so I did arrive on the same day all be it 10 hours later than expected.
    I have just checked my elite miles and they have credited me with the SIN-MNL flight (as well as the LHR-SIN flight) but not the MNL-DVO flight (PAL not being Star Alliance) however the mileage difference from flying Silkair to Davao (1585 miles) and SIN-MNL (1477 miles) is 108 miles (not alot I grant you but I am only 200 miles from EG that has to be completed by the end of July). The help I need is: Is it worth talking to SIA regarding the 10 hour difference in arrival time (they did give me a luggage scale at the end of the LHR-SIN flight) as I was not able to collect my daughter from school as promised, what if anything can I expect? could they give me the MNL-DVO elite miles? sorry it is long winded, hope some of you more experienced guys can advise on this

Since the fault is obviously not yours and your orginal intention was to be with SQ/Slikair and thats what you paid for. Yes I believe you should 'fight; for what you paid for.

Albeit there was re-routing on SIA's part to ensure you get to your destination but thats their fault I would think. Do CALL them as speak to a customer service officer and explain your position nicely first and slow insist your right to what you paid for I would and I have on other occasions - not the same situation but also my rights. You did after all pay SIA so they should honor you as a customer. Don't email as it'll take tooooo long and I'm sure you will just get a standard reply. Insist on speaking to a manager in the customer service department (not KF contact center)

Good Luck and do hope you get your EG status by july

Comment

End of July is still 6wks or so away and SQ won't do much until a couple of weeks beforehand.

In the past I've emailed SQ with a "please.....because" type letter within even a thousand or so miles short (some years I am a bit short and, for example this year to end of June, I'll be way over the 50k, since unlike other airlines they don't reset as soon as you pass qualification level) and so far they have been kind enough to renew on those "short" years.

You will be close enough to the 50k that they might be nice enough to you but it needs a polite letter, though not until closer your year end date.

Comment

You may also be due several hundred euros in compensation for the delay. Look up EU261 regulations, and search around the Internet for tips on how to claim it if you are eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by chisquared View Post
          You may also be due several hundred euros in compensation for the delay. Look up EU261 regulations, and search around the Internet for tips on how to claim it if you are eligible.
          No such luck from my reading of it. The flight delayed out of LHR is categorised as "Type 3", being not wholly within the EU and greater than 3500 km in length. Type 3 compensation kicks in at the 4 hour mark and this flight was delayed by about 3 hours.

The fine print seems to suggest that maybe 300€ might be offered due to rerouting that resulted in an end arrival delayed beyond 4 hours, but that delay occurred after arrival into Singapore, which was again within the 4 hour limit. Once arrived in Singapore, I think the EU regulation would most likely no longer be binding, or you'd need a lawyer charging a fee far greater than any compensation being offered, in order to get that compensation!

Comment

Umm, were do you get that interpretation of EC261/2004 from? The EU Court of Justice has ruled several cases on this and to my recollection and from personal claims, what matters is the delay when arriving at the final destination, not departure delay from LHR or at some interim connecting point like SIN in this case. And albeit Brexit talks, the UK is still part of the EU . Further, mechanical issues are not a reason for the airline to claim force majeure as another EUCJ ruling confirmed.

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/documen...t=1&cid=469038 (HT FT)

While I'm by no means an expert, I would think the OP is due 600 Euro compensation from SQ as booked LHR-SIN-DVO on the same ticket and also the mileage credit as per original, ticketed routing. It will be a bit of effort to get this sorted, but there are plenty of threads regarding this on "the other forum".
            Last edited by demue; 13 June 2016, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by demue View Post
              Umm, were do you get that interpretation of EC261/2004 from? The EU Court of Justice has ruled several cases on this and to my recollection and from personal claims, what matters is the delay when arriving at the final destination, not departure delay from LHR or at some interim connecting point like SIN in this case. And albeit Brexit talks, the UK is still part of the EU . Further, mechanical issues are not a reason for the airline to claim force majeure as another EUCJ ruling confirmed.

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/documen...t=1&cid=469038 (HT FT)

While I'm by no means an expert, I would think the OP is due 600 Euro compensation from SQ as booked LHR-SIN-DVO on the same ticket and also the mileage credit as per original, ticketed routing. It will be a bit of effort to get this sorted, but there are plenty of threads regarding this on "the other forum".
              This is my understanding of it as well. That said, I'm no expert, nor have I really attempted to gain some amount of it.

But hey, if I were the OP, I think the prospect of EUR 600 is enough to at least make me look into it.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies so far.
                I have been viewing them all with interest.
                My sched arrival time in DVO was 12.45 and my actual arrival time was 22.05 so I was 9 hrs and 20 mins late,
                As this is an incredibly short holiday to see my wife and daughter,(I am flying back to LHR on Fri) the 9 hours is quite a chunk out of it so I will be pursuing this.
                The way I do this will probably depend on this forum as, if I get offered a free flight I would not get the EM's for it and once I am EG the only way I can keep there is to get the EM's from paid for flights.
                I have yet to contact SIA and they have not yet contacted me, So once I feel I have the best way forward I will proceed and keep you all informed

Comment

Also I just checked the delay from LHR and it was 4 hours and 14 mins late departing not the 3 hours I originally stated and arrived in SIN at 12.07 which was 4 hrs 37 mins late, think I was still very tired when I wrote my first post
                  Last edited by Richplug; 14 June 2016, 09:42 AM. Reason: Adding correct times to post

Comment

I'd get an EC261 claim in as soon as you can... I don't think anything is lost that way.

Comment

Originally posted by chisquared View Post
                      Thanks for the advise chisquared I have used 'Resolver' it is a free of charge advise company so we will have to see how we fare with it

Comment

Hi everyone here is an update:
                        News very good from me as today in the post I received my Elite Gold cards and SQ have agreed to pay the EU compensation of Euro 600 for my delayed/diverted flights so I am now a very happy ELITE GOLD member
                        Regards
                        Richplug

Comment

Working...
                        X