SQ and AF forming a partnership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ and AF forming a partnership?

An article in La Tribune reports that SQ is in discussion with AF on working together.

http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-...es-567143.html

Key points:
    • Minimum collaboration would be involve codesharing on flights between SIN and CDG

• Partnership aimed at countering threat of ME airlines

• Challenge of getting approval from Star Alliance as it is the most strict alliance when it comes to its members partnering with airlines of other alliances

• Having an Asian partner has been a priority for AF-KLM for many years

• Outgoing AF CEO de Juniac said to be a great admirer of SQ and gets along well with Goh Choon Phong

• Shortly after announcing his departure, de Juniac declared that AF hopes to conclude a partnership with an Asian airline (without divulging the identity) by summer

Well that definitely makes life easier for connecting flights to other parts of France

Comment

Not an idea I like the sound of much. Apart from the fact it's AF to begin with, connections would mean transiting between T1 and T2 at CDG. Just dealing with T1 is excruciating enough.

I'd say they're a bit lonely after QF ran off and joined EK and they lost out on the Kangaroo Route. LH might also have something to say given they are already providing connections to various French cities.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
        Not an idea I like the sound of much. Apart from the fact it's AF to begin with, connections would mean transiting between T1 and T2 at CDG. Just dealing with T1 is excruciating enough.

I'd say they're a bit lonely after QF ran off and joined EK and they lost out on the Kangaroo Route. LH might also have something to say given they are already providing connections to various French cities.
        I'm curious to see what real benefits the LH alliance has brought in terms of connectivity and what this AF one would do in the future. Using Madrid as an example, the alliance has resulted in one of the options out of Madrid which connected very nicely to SQ325 in Frankfurt being eliminated leaving no evening option out of Madrid. Fares out of SG connecting to LH flights usually have ridiculous fares online.

Really hoping to see developments on code sharing that bring truly practical options to connect to non-SQ stations in Europe.

Comment

AF ?!. They'd be better off with Ryanair or Easyjet.

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          Indeed. From Changi to CDG, what fun that will be....

I can see why AF would be keen but I can't see what SQ would gain from this, save for lots of grief when pax go from SQ to AF.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

I can see why AF would be keen but I can't see what SQ would gain from this, save for lots of grief when pax go from SQ to AF.
            Not to mention the high rates of baggage misconnections in CDG!

Comment

They'd be as well to obtain a codeshare with Flybe from MAN (something they should do when the route goes non-stop) which connects to a large number of UK and non-UK cities that are unserved by SQ.

Comment

Agree that transfer at CDG can be a challenge but current SQ LH group partnership has an ok French network mainly at key French cities.

A partnership with AF would mean a more extensive French network and if deal is extended to include KLM then the non SQ stations would become more pan European.

Next group: IAG. Just wishful thinking.
                there's nothing more rewarding than flying for free, is there??

Comment

Originally posted by Global Nomad View Post
                  Next group: IAG. Just wishful thinking.
                  I read that OneWorld was SQ's first choice, not Star Alliance, when looking for an alliance to join.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                    I read that OneWorld was SQ's first choice, not Star Alliance, when looking for an alliance to join.
                    IIRC in the early 2000s (maybe even earlier) some form of partnership was considered between SQ and QF. Perhaps that might have had something to do with the OW consideration?

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

C'mon, transiting through CDG is loads of fun... One gets to enjoy the "interesting" architecture while missing one's connection despite having a 2-HR layover...
                      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Like others have said, I do not see the benefits of AF over LH from SQ perspective.
                        The only benefit (that's minimal in the big scheme of alliances) could be for R pax on SQ to access AF La Premiere lounge in CDG, which make TPR look like a hawker center in comparison.

Comment

Working...
                        X