Op-Ups and Online Check-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Op-Ups and Online Check-In

Alright, so on the very odd occasion that SQ actually goes through with an op-up, do you think that checking in online limits chances? Do you have a better chance of getting an op-up checking in at the airport? Or is this silly, and it'll have no effect?
    Fly well,
    Travel safe,
    And have a pleasant journey.

I have had an op-up from Y to J. They paged my name at the SK lounge. I thanked the lounge lady and she said the flight was over sold.

I online checked in, but also had paid for a preferred seat. I suspect having a preferred seat helped.

I don't think it makes any difference if you online check in or not.

Comment

i don't think so. I got ops up twice, once without online check in, one with online check-in. One was class Y full fare, one was the lowest of the low of Y class. Guess only the status helps, but I read somewhere online that checkin in late/ very early might help. Also the higher you pay, the higher your chance (meaning full fare has precedent over lower fares), but I think it is mostly about status.

Comment

I agree as well that it does not matter.

I always OLCI whenever I can (flights to/from DEL can't for some reason) and the one time I was shifted to J was because of an oversold flight.

Based on the sequence number I was the first to do OLCI for the flight and I dropped my bags at the airport a little more than 3 hours before departure, they reprinted my BPs for Y and I headed to lounge. It was only when I was leaving the lounge for the flight that I was given the new BP by the lounge manager.

They obviously had someone wanting to pay for Y at last minute and had empty seats in J. I was a KFEG in Y and flying solo so I got lucky.

Comment

Cool..yeah, I thought status was always the biggest thing!
          Fly well,
          Travel safe,
          And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

Does ordering a special meal effectively reduce your chances of an upgrade to zero, since the upgraded class is not going have that special meal available?

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              Does ordering a special meal effectively reduce your chances of an upgrade to zero, since the upgraded class is not going have that special meal available?
              Not sure about this. This is off topic but I am semi veggie (or more appropriately pesce/pollotarian), and never ordered special meal. Once in economy class i ended up with business class veggie meal as they ran out of my preferred chicken. And vice versa. I got veggie meal from economy on business class trip as i was presented with selection that i couln't eat. That was on my own request.
              Once i also ended up with instant noodle too.

So it might not be a problem. They seem to have spare veggie meal somewhere inside the cabin. The exception was on silk air..

Comment

Originally posted by 726 View Post
                Not sure about this. This is off topic but I am semi veggie (or more appropriately pesce/pollotarian), and never ordered special meal. Once in economy class i ended up with business class veggie meal as they ran out of my preferred chicken. And vice versa. I got veggie meal from economy on business class trip as i was presented with selection that i couln't eat. That was on my own request.
                Once i also ended up with instant noodle too.

So it might not be a problem. They seem to have spare veggie meal somewhere inside the cabin. The exception was on silk air..
                Mrs FlyingDobber has been op-uped a couple of times and the plate up the veggie meal from Y and add a few extras and the usual J class stuff. I thought this would be a defining factor in op-up but clearly not.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDobber View Post
                  Mrs FlyingDobber has been op-uped a couple of times and the plate up the veggie meal from Y and add a few extras and the usual J class stuff. I thought this would be a defining factor in op-up but clearly not.
                  Very useful data point! Thanks...I especially like SQ's Indian vegetarian meals, although I am neither Indian nor vegeterian, but I have held off ordering them in recent years because I always had the impression that ordering a special meal would put me at the bottom of the op-up list.

Comment

Hv been KF since 2000....zero op-up

Comment

Originally posted by Toffees View Post
                      Hv been KF since 2000....zero op-up
                      I have been a TPP for almost the same amount of time. I reckon I could count my OP-UPs on one hand. Once sat in a F seat but got J catering due to aircraft change (or something). Almost all my (maybe 4) OP-UPs were from J to F due to overbooking.

Don't hold your breath on SQ.

Comment

Working...
                      X