Flight on SQ and TK and connecting in IST help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight on SQ and TK and connecting in IST help needed

hi all SQ lovers inside here, I need some frequent flyer advice here.

I have a European trip coming up in April, I am booked on SQ from SIN to IST, I will reach IST at 0745am and my connecting flight is booked on TK flight departing at 1125am.

Is my connection time of 3.5 hrs in IST doable, can I tag my luggage thru all the way from SIN to my destination or do I have to clear customs, collect my luggages and have them re-check in at IST again ?

Originally posted by hguo83 View Post

I have a European trip coming up in April, I am booked on SQ from SIN to IST, I will reach IST at 0745am and my connecting flight is booked on TK flight departing at 1125am.

Is my connection time of 3.5 hrs in IST doable, can I tag my luggage thru all the way from SIN to my destination or do I have to clear customs, collect my luggages and have them re-check in at IST again ?
    While it is technically possible, SQ are not obliged to do so as the flights are not booked on the same ticket. Luck of the draw really...
    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Your wording could mean either of two situations. Is your ticket an SQ ticket for both flights, but the second sector is operated by TK, or is your second flight purchased from TK as a separate booking entirely?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
        Your wording could mean either of two situations. Is your ticket an SQ ticket for both flights, but the second sector is operated by TK, or is your second flight purchased from TK as a separate booking entirely?
        Yes, 2nd flight is purchased online from TK directly and not through SQ....

Comment

Yes, 2nd flight is purchased online from TK directly and not through SQ....
          I guess it is possible. I had a more or less same issue happened over last Xmas where I bought a SQ and Thai Airways ticket separately. Both flights connecting time for 2 hrs in BKK. So from Singapore, I inform the checkin desk to tag my luggage all the way from SQ through my final destination with Thai Airways. Manageable I guess because both airlines are in the same alliance.

The only thing you should do is if you succeed to get your baggage through with your 2nd flight is to go to IST transfer desk - get your boarding pass and also advise them your luggage tag number. Then you should be ok.

Comment

Whether the luggage can be tagged all the way depends on luck. However if it doesn't, all you need is to go to TK ground agent in IST. Show them your luggage tag, and e ticket for your 2nd leg and the ground agent will take care of the luggage and re tag to your new flight on TK.

On return leg if you are transiting in IST also, then go to HAVAS (SQ ground agent in IST) with your TK luggage tag and they will take care of the rest, including issuing your sq boarding pass

Comment

SQ is quite lenient with tagging your bags through on separate tickets, but they're not obligated so if the agent says no for whatever reason I won't kick up a fuss.

Comment

Definitely do-able.

Done it on SQ-TK separate tix a couple of times.

Even if they don't tag your bag through, there is a transit counter before arrival immigration/transit security. You can get them to re-tag your bag without having to pick up your bag. Had to do this because I was flying Ukraine Airlines once and SQ agent couldn't print the tags through. Of course there is some risk with this method.

If all else fails, 3.5hours is enough to collect and re-check in upstairs at the departure hall.

Comment

Hi hguo83, hope your connection in IST turns out fine...

Just out of curiousity, is there any reason why you are using two airlines on this trip? TK has flights out of SIN too.

Personally, I am extremely conservative (maybe even kiasu...to use a local term) when it comes to making connections.

In trips where I need to connect, I usually fly on a single ticket (ideally a single carrier, or carriers with a very close tie-up, like QF/EK), and even then, I will budget a massive a mount of connecting time, adding 1-2 hrs or even more to the minimum connecting time, just to mitigate any issues with delays. And I will also usually choose a connecting flight which is not the last of the day, so that there is always another flight to take if I miss the original.

And on the rare occasion where I need to travel on two separate tickets (Usually because two tickets on different carriers/alliances was way cheaper than a single ticket), I am ultra conservative with connection times, putting in hours and hours in between the connecting flight, because if anything goes wrong, I'm pretty sure I'll get no help from the airlines involved.

All that just gives me some peace of mind -- I don't have to worry about the minor delays that occasionally happen. Most times a delay of 1 hr, even 2 hrs won't affect my connections.

My computer is always with me, so any transit time in the airport is usually productively spent.
                  Last edited by yflyer; 11 March 2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

It's doable. In fact, I've done that plus a mini-tour of IST in less time during transit than that

Comment

Becoz I want to support my own country carrier and I can't book SIN to AAL directly from SQ website online.

I have done a research and seems like my options are

SIN to FRA on SQ and FRA to AAL on Lufthansa

SIN to CPH on SQ and CPH to AAL on SAS

SIN to IST on SQ and IST to AAL on Turkish

Out of the 3 cities above, I would love to visit Istanbul for my layover but now with all the terrorist attacks happening in Turkey, I am having second thoughts about Istanbul already...

Comment

Becoz I want to support my own country carrier and I can't book SIN to AAL directly from SQ website online.

Out of the 3 cities above, I would love to visit Istanbul for my layover but now with all the terrorist attacks happening in Turkey, I am having second thoughts about Istanbul already...
                        FYI, my company have stop all business travels into Turkey and Egypt, unless absolutely necessary.
                        Last edited by kapitan; 16 March 2016, 10:56 AM.
                        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I was planning to visit IST later this year and I'm also having second thoughts....

SIN-AMS with SQ and AMS-AAL with KLM would be another option.
                          Last edited by MRW; 16 March 2016, 08:47 AM. Reason: I forgot to identify the airline on the AMS-AAL leg

Comment

Working...
                          X