Blocked seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocked seats

My family and I are flying next week to SNG from Barcelona, and the seats I managed to reserve are at the back. All other seats are blocked/full. I understand that they will be unblocked a few days before the flight - will it be possible at that point to change our seats? And how far forward (with a K ticket) can I expect to be able to sit?

Unless the seats are reserved, you should be able to select seats as far forward in the economy class cabin as you want.

Comment

Originally posted by tinnat View Post
      My family and I are flying next week to SNG from Barcelona, and the seats I managed to reserve are at the back. All other seats are blocked/full. I understand that they will be unblocked a few days before the flight - will it be possible at that point to change our seats? And how far forward (with a K ticket) can I expect to be able to sit?
      Hi tinnat! Seats are usually unblocked 4 days / 96 hrs prior to departure, so check back at that time. Yes you can change seat assignment online, as long as you do not print/download your boarding pass after checking in online.

Comment

there is no difference between classes in terms of seat selection. the difference is that if you have gold membership, it can sometimes allow you to select seats 34/35 (i think) which is blocked normally. I am flying to HAN and SGN in 2 weeks, but yes, I have the same problem. You can't override it unless you have an excuse. For example: travelling with small children/old people (I got this once, and they assign me to the three seaters at the back of the plane which is blocked in a330). just call sq to justify your reason. not sure if it works but it worked for me.

Comment

SQ blocks seats for passengers with status on KF in Y. Its usually the front rows in both economy compartments.

To my experience travel agents (the brick and mortar ones) have access to those seats upon booking and can reserve them also for none-KF members.

Comment

Personally I think blocked seats being available to KF status passengers is a myth.

Been Gold for 3 years now and unless I book over 6 months in advance, I'm lucky if I get to select some of the worst seats in Y. When it's time to check-in, suddenly everything I want is free.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
              Personally I think blocked seats being available to KF status passengers is a myth.

Been Gold for 3 years now and unless I book over 6 months in advance, I'm lucky if I get to select some of the worst seats in Y. When it's time to check-in, suddenly everything I want is free.
              Exactly. To be particular: a330. The gold members used to be able to access certain seat (i did same booking with my brother who is kf silver and the seat selection was slightly different. I was able to select 35 while my brother can select from 36). Not anymore.

Comment

Apart from a few seats reserved for passengers with status, SQ also blocks out large sections of the aircraft from online selection up to some days before flight date. I am referring only to Y.

I am guessing that these are held for groups or maybe code-share airlines but released for general selection closer to the date of flight. Unfortunately, the exact date and time this happens is variable but usually within a week of flight.

So check repeatedly near the flight date if you do need a better selection.

Having said that, tinnat, the rear of the aircraft ain't so bad. There is a greater chance of empty seats around you at flight time than the front Y cabin.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post

Out of the 25 sectors I flew in Y during the past 12 month, 24 times I sat somewhere in rows 31 to 35. Once I was pushed to a row beyond 40, but I changed the flight last minute when CI was already open.
                  I book 1 to 2 weeks in advance and the selection of seats is usually quite good.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                    Out of the 25 sectors I flew in Y during the past 12 month, 24 times I sat somewhere in rows 31 to 35. Once I was pushed to a row beyond 40, but I changed the flight last minute when CI was already open.
                    I book 1 to 2 weeks in advance and the selection of seats is usually quite good.
                    That could be more about the sectors you are flying or the days and times. On the occasions I do get a decent seat to select, they are always to/from EU destinations.

To/from MEL is always the problem. I haven't experienced a flight in to or out of MEL that wasn't at least 90% full since the height of the GFC back in 2009. Frequently around peak times there are no available flights in Y for two or more weeks in a row. Booking a week in advance would mean being waitlisted. This is an improvement compared to 2012, where 6 weeks prior to July, there was not a single day when there was a Y seat out of MEL available in that month.

Still people believe though, that certain seats in the cabin are kept open for Gold members on such flights which isn't true. They are generally sold to codeshare partners, so to get on that flight as a loyal KF member, you have to go and book through VA. We also can't use miles to upgrade to J for a lot of the year. I'm not referring to 'Saver' upgrades either. Literally no upgrades are offered even when we are paying flexi fares for flights on weekends in July six months away, as an example.

Comment

Working...
                    X