Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortchecking on SQ

[deleted]
    Last edited by WittyBoston; 19 March 2016, 02:03 AM.

By rules, I doubt so.

But ex-SIN is no issue, done it so many times and always no questions asked.

I always have problems ex-India (cited security reasons). Asked a few times. And recent history.
    And from JFK also declined. Asked once.

For the JFK instance, I got my bags offloaded at SIN. I went to lost and found to request for the offloading. This was 5 years ago or so.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
      By rules, I doubt so.

But ex-SIN is no issue, done it so many times and always no questions asked.

I always have problems ex-India (cited security reasons). Asked a few times. And recent history.
      And from JFK also declined. Asked once.

For the JFK instance, I got my bags offloaded at SIN. I went to lost and found to request for the offloading. This was 5 years ago or so.

Thanks Squeeze!

From what you're saying, it appears it's the airport of origin that matters more than airline policy?

I was told at SIN that SQ has an "agreement" with OZ & NH...

Just got a call from an SQ rep. and she said shortchecking is OK within all Star Alliance carriers...
      Last edited by WittyBoston; 11 February 2016, 12:29 AM. Reason: SQ Customer Service Call

Comment

Originally posted by WittyBoston View Post
        Thanks Squeeze!

From what you're saying, it appears it's the airport of origin that matters more than airline policy?

I was told at SIN that SQ has an "agreement" with OZ & NH...

Just got a call from an SQ rep. and she said shortchecking is OK within all Star Alliance carriers...
        I don't think anybody knows the actual policy.

If you are departing SIN I would say it's fine.
        I hope your SQ Rep knows what short checking in and is not mixed with interlining which obviously is ok.

In case, you encounter problem, just say you have some medicine which you need to retrieve and you don't mind boarding pass just issued to intermediate destination.

Again if you depart SIN, no problem ever so far

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
          I don't think anybody knows the actual policy.

If you are departing SIN I would say it's fine.
          I hope your SQ Rep knows what short checking in and is not mixed with interlining which obviously is ok.

In case, you encounter problem, just say you have some medicine which you need to retrieve and you don't mind boarding pass just issued to intermediate destination.

Again if you depart SIN, no problem ever so far
          Have you tried it on other * carriers ex-SIN?

Comment

tried to ask SQ in CGK. They allowed it provided that it does not stay overnight. It was from SQ to OZ via NRT (but because my flight was the day after, it was not possible)

Comment

Originally posted by 726 View Post
              tried to ask SQ in CGK. They allowed it provided that it does not stay overnight. It was from SQ to OZ via NRT (but because my flight was the day after, it was not possible)
              So does that mean if you need to take a connection which involves arriving into SIN in the evening and flying out in the morning and therefore want to stay at a hotel nearby the airport that they would insist on holding onto your checked luggage overnight? There are some itineraries that need that option.

I realise hotels within the airport would prevent access to checked luggage as you are not passing through customs. I assume these hotels would provide the kind of amenities most of us pack into out checked luggage to avoid hassles at security such as toothpaste, which generally isn't provided by hotels?

Are all these rules designed to make people pay extra for a "stopover"? I guess I'm just curious as I've never left Changi and my longest layover was just recently for about 8 hours from dawn until lunchtime. I just dozed in the Gold Lounge. A very concerned young man from the desk woke me at 10.00 to make sure I wasn't booked on SQ217 to MEL which was amusing as normally when I'm in the lounge I am headed back home to MEL.

(That lounge gets really really quiet between 10 and 11 in the morning!)

Comment

Have you tried it on other * carriers ex-SIN?
                No. Better stick with SQ. they are always the more flexible bunch. And more helpful.

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                So does that mean if you need to take a connection which involves arriving into SIN in the evening and flying out in the morning and therefore want to stay at a hotel nearby the airport that they would insist on holding onto your checked luggage overnight? There are some itineraries that need that option.
                I think 726 may have confused short checking (on topic) with interlining. It may get tricky to interline when the next flight is very far apart.

CGK can be quite particular about interlining. I had to argue once when interlining SQ-TG-TK-TK-JJ on a marathon CGK-BKK-IST-GRU-BSB because of separate tickets issue. But in the end they relented.

From SIN, I had interlined SQ-CM-CM in Singapore tagging the bag through to São Paulo then Panama then Havana. Bags stayed overnight in GRU and another night in PTY. They turned up in HAV 3 days after which was almost a miracle. But with some initial stress as bags in HAV turned up only 2 hours after arrival on a common belt used by all inbound flights that day.

But interline is off-topic

Back to short checking....

Comment

oops. yes, i misunderstood. lol. sorry

Comment

Does anyone know what "OK LI X KRIEGEL" mean on one's BP?

Comment

Does anyone know what "OK LI X KRIEGEL" mean on one's BP?
                      It might sound like a German word but it isn't. The closest Kriegel gets to being a word might be in an Austrian dialect, which I doubt is going to make its way onto an SQ BP...

Which port did you fly out of that issued the BP?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        It might sound like a German word but it isn't. The closest Kriegel gets to being a word might be in an Austrian dialect, which I doubt is going to make its way onto an SQ BP...

Which port did you fly out of that issued the BP?
                        ex-MNL.

Comment

Working...
                        X