No announcement yet.

Singapore Airlines to restart non-stop flights to USA with A359

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder what cabin configuration we will see this time round. Not everybody can afford Business Class seats. I hope they will have the Executive Economy (or Premium Economy as it's called now) option.

Comment

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
      I remember SQ required 5 A345s for LAX and now they are looking for 7... So perhaps they might be looking into SFO direct as well?

I hope they will not axe SIN-HKG-SFO if that's the case...
      I think it probably will be replacing SIN-ICN-SFO since SQ now codeshares with OZ on that route if SFO goes non-stop.

On another note, I am going to guess that SQ12/11 and 26/25 might downgauge to 77W once LAX/NYC has non-stops. With new-build A380s coming in and the 1st few A380s reaching their 10th year, these will leave the fleet and not be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        I think it probably will be replacing SIN-ICN-SFO since SQ now codeshares with OZ on that route if SFO goes non-stop.

On another note, I am going to guess that SQ12/11 and 26/25 might downgauge to 77W once LAX/NYC has non-stops. With new-build A380s coming in and the 1st few A380s reaching their 10th year, these will leave the fleet and not be replaced.
        There's a symmetry to that which may make it more likely - NYC, SFO, and LAX all get one nonstop and a one-stopper. There's a lot of value to keeping JFK-FRA, NRT-LAX, and HKG-SFO.

Comment

Airbus A350-900ULR enables Singapore Airlines to reopen Singapore-New York

Worth a read
          http://leehamnews.com/2015/10/13/air...pore-new-york/

Comment

Originally posted by shikhargpt View Post
            I wonder what's the market for a direct YVR flight? Though I'd put my money on ORD too.
            One more bet for ORD. The current arrangement of two 1-stops to SFO has been shown to work.

I suppose they could do SIN-ICN-SEA or even SIN-ICN-SEA (4 weekly)/SIN-ICN-YVR (3 weekly) within the traffic limits but I wouldn't risk dropping SIN-ICN-SFO.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              Interesting, hadn't seen that mention of the number of seats (170) elsewhere.

The A340-500 and the A350-900 aren't that different in terms of size. So it won't be an all-business class configuration. Maybe it'll be something like the original A340 configuration (J+PEY)?

Comment

Besides Los Angeles and New York, SIA is also considering other points in the US for non-stop flights, the carrier said on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, one question mark remains over what type of configuration SIA will go with on the upcoming A350-ULRs. When it previously operated the direct flight to New York, it started out with a mix of premium economy and business class. But it later converted the flight to an all-business-class configuration with 100 seats, in pursuit of fatter yields. The non-stop service to Los Angeles was the same.

Airbus chief executive Fabrice Bregier said: "The A350 is the perfect, flexible platform, offering unrivalled operating economics for the very longest routes. The wider and quieter cabin will provide the perfect environment for passengers to enjoy the world-famous SIA in-flight product."

The A350-900ULR can fly for up to 19 hours, with a modified fuel system to increase the fuel-carrying capacity, as well as an increase in the maximum take-off weight and aerodynamic improvements.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg//tra...350#xtor=CS1-3

Comment

Originally posted by leops1984 View Post

The A340-500 and the A350-900 aren't that different in terms of size. So it won't be an all-business class configuration. Maybe it'll be something like the original A340 configuration (J+PEY)?
                  The original 345 configuration had 189 seats (84J 117PEY). Wonder what the new ratio will be, my guess is 90J and the rest PEY.

The fuel economics is very interesting. For the SIN-EWR route, the 359ULR will consume a third less fuel than the 345. At least theoretically. That's a heck of a lot of savings. And with fuel prices less than half of what it has been, it should work out quite well for SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by Airbus SAS A340-500 View Post
                    I guess that effectively means that we won't hear any 77X order by SQ any time soon...
                    Availability must have been a big factor. SQ would have had to wait about 6 years for the 777-8X. Airbus' A350-900ULR halves that wait time.

What I'm really curious about now is the whole deal to cancel 7 aircraft, then increase orders by 4 using options, and have 7 of the 67 be A350-900ULR.

Comment

Originally posted by leops1984 View Post

The all-Business configuration in the later days of the A345 era seldom saw full (or close to full) load. A mixed-Business/Economy configuration, while giving more weightage (no pun intended) to the front cabin, would probably be SIA's best bet in the complex permutation of multiple decision-influencing factors.

As an aside, I still can't get used to the long name A350-900ULR. That's a mouthful. Even the shorter A359 doesn't resonate with me. I prefer the more elegant A340-500 anytime. I'm actually using 345 in my Skype account and company name.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
                        As an aside, I still can't get used to the long name A350-900ULR. That's a mouthful. Even the shorter A359 doesn't resonate with me. I prefer the more elegant A340-500 anytime. I'm actually using 345 in my Skype account and company name.
                        Imagine it being called the Airbus A350-900XWBULR!

Comment

Does anybody think Singapore Airlines will offer something different in the Economy cabin? In the days gone by, SQ22/21 and SQ20/19 had the Executive Economy, which was unavailable on other routes. Now that Premium Economy is already on the market, I suspect the airline may decide to do something different at the rear of the aircraft, not just for branding but also to help in the bottom line. The complex fuel-cargo-class configuration economics might necessitate that.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
                            Same! I've already started calling it its four letter alphanumeric code "A35L", like for the 777-200LR (B77L). A359ULR is far too long!

Comment

The A359ULR will likley be just 2 classes with business and premium economy with just 200 oasengers or under and it will be the longest twin engined plane flight. Imagine near 19 hour flight on a twin.

Comment

Originally posted by shikhargpt View Post
                                Same! I've already started calling it its four letter alphanumeric code "A35L", like for the 777-200LR (B77L). A359ULR is far too long!
                                Then again, I am perfectly okay with B777-200ER. It's really got to do with the numbers. I don't like the "9" in A359. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X