No announcement yet.

What Do You Think Of DIY Check-In?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's great if I want to see what seats are available at the time of check-in, and to increase my chances of having an empty seat next to me. I can do this at the check-in counter as well, but will be at the mercy of the check-in agent to allocate a good seat to me. Usually the agents in SIN are great and will do their best to keep the seat next to be empty, but not elsewhere, especially in European airports.

If I have no check-in bags, I will definitely use the kiosks. With a check-in bag, it's going to be a 2 step process. At the FAST Check-In island in T2, all counters are for bag drop only, so there's never a queue.

I use self check service check-in, bag tag and bag drop a lot in Europe, and that's going to be the future of air travel. No hassle, you have full control, and I don't have to deal with moody agents. Interacting with a check-in agent is nice, but really, there's no reason to waste 1 minute on idle chat. I prefer to minimize my time at check-in and head straight to the lounge or gate. It's not as if this chat will result in an upgrade (especially on SQ). The real travel experience begins onboard the plane.

I can understand why some people are having difficulty grasping this new concept, it'll take a while for them to catch on with the rest of the world...but self service is a great step forward. Embrace it.
    Last edited by icn.sg; 14 August 2015, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ninervictor View Post
      I will still prefer agent. Useful if you have baggage that weighs 24 - 25 kg borderline of excess
      Or when some agents are eye candies?

Comment

I don't have a problem with self service and prefer to use it to avoid lines and when I don't have much luggage. However I can empathise with those who are having difficulties as this is still a relatively new thing in many.

That said, there should always be at least a few agents present to help out passengers, even for those in Y. And they should definitely be there for those who are checking in oversized luggage.

Comment

a few years back when SQ trialled the self check in or internet check in, pax still needed to find a SQ agent to get the internet boarding pass stamped. I don't think it was so much for security but more of revenue protection issues. If the DIY machines are set such that no need for the ridiculous multiple verification by SQ/ground staff, ie, no more human interaction, then maybe its ok.

I guess the typical chinese local mindset is, if im doing something myself, there should a decrease in price. Not fair that im still paying the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
            It's great if I want to see what seats are available at the time of check-in, and to increase my chances of having an empty seat next to me. I can do this at the check-in counter as well, but will be at the mercy of the check-in agent to allocate a good seat to me.
            It would really be depending if the DIY-machine will show you the same availabilty compared to the computer at the CI counter. I doubt it. The OLCI already doesnt come with the "real" availabilty.

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
            Usually the agents in SIN are great and will do their best to keep the seat next to be empty, but not elsewhere, especially in European airports.
            My question if the next seat is empty in SIN will be usually answered "Currently it is, but we cant guarantee it will remain empty". The CI staff in SIN is to my experience the most unhelpful if it comes to seat allocation. And thet would never take the initiative themself and proactively ask you if you want a different seat.
            To my experinece at the outstations this is usually better handeled, some will block the empty seats, if flights are not full.

Comment

Originally posted by RHG View Post
              I guess the typical chinese local mindset is, if im doing something myself, there should a decrease in price. Not fair that im still paying the same price.

I have the same argument for Sushi, "What? You're not even going to cook it?"

Comment

I think for shorter, simpler flights, and economy flights you can stretch to self check-in. With SQ, always prefer agent, bit wouldn't mind for regional trips.

Longer haul and any premium travel, definitely want to use agent. It's all part of the experience, and longer trips have quite a different feel to quick hops!
                Fly well,
                Travel safe,
                And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

I rarely have checked luggage so shouldn't have to go near a desk with OLCI but unfortunately SQ insist on us having to go to check-in anyway to get our BP's stamped.

Comment

Just used the DIY check-in today at T2 and it was a breeze. I'm not exaggerating when i say I was done in 3 minutes or less from the moment I tapped the screen to when I received my boarding pass. No queue at 3+pm and no check-in luggage so this will be the norm for me depending on the crowd.

Comment

Even when I have only a cabin bag, I make it a point to check in my luggage when I'm flying with full-fledged airlines. I prefer to walk around the transit area and board the plane with only my laptop bag. I am normally not in a hurry so I do not mind queuing at the check-in counters and luggage carousels.

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
                        The human check-in agents are not SQ. they are from handling agent, majority foreign talents and poorly trained to handle even basic service delivery.
                        I've never had an unpleasant experience with the check-in staff at SIN actually. They seem way better than many other airports I've been too
                        After using it on a recent early morning work trip I have a change of heart.. I'll use them when I'm in a rush, like for work, but on a holiday especially long-haul, I'd still prefer having a human check-in agent

Comment

Working...
                        X