Biz fares to Europe - so high?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah this old 1-2-1/2-3-2/3-4-3/4-4-4 chestnut

Feels like I'm amongst a bunch of boys talking about football.

At the end of the day - i'm not concerned so much with how many abreast as i am with 1) square footage (how much real estate is at my disposal) 2) aisle access.

Depending on semantics and how you want to count, I'll take EK's 380 and EY's Pearl layout as an example. They're 8 across (again, if you're loose with definitions) but yet all have aisle access.

Conversely - BA's yin yang 747/777 main deck club world is a different kettle of fish altogether. Same goes for UA's 747 main deck layout. In name also 8 across - but not quite all aisle access.

You'll find the former two seats not far off SQ's and CX's sexy sounding 1-2-1 layouts SQUARE FOOTAGE wise, the latter two will fall quite far short.

What i'm trying to say is 1-2-1 when I'm facing forward, and no part of my seat and real estate goes under the seat in front of me/is part of the real estate of the seat in front - great. We have a name for it. It's called First Class.

When 1-2-1 is NOT quite like the above, but is skewed sideways somewhat and squashed back to front (reduced pitch) and there is actually some overlap of seats - it's called Innovation in seat design and good marketing. Not saying CX Cirrus and SQ diamond isn't comfy. It is very much so, but ultimately not a world apart from the two middle eastern seats in a 8 abreast configuration I referred to earlier.

Comment

having took Emirates 777ER biz class with 5 seats across to Melbourne last month and returning on SQ biz 4 across, it does make a lot of difference esp in the width of the seat as its spacious as compared top the rather cramped width of EK. And esp on EK if one is seated on the window on any aisle seat, one still have to adjust oneself and allow the passenger next to you to walk across your seat. This is unlike SQ where all passengers on its 777ER have direct access to the aisle.

Comment

I'm just happy to be mostly in J these days. After 20 years in the back I'm not that choosy. For the record, the very best J seat I've experienced is the 777-300ER on QR nearly 80 inch pitch, flat, straight, wide and no part of the seat under the one in front.

Comment

ditto SQFG, flyguy, mrbotak. who cares if its 1-2-1 or 4-4-4, as long as my real-estate is comfy. In that regard and having flown Biz in various versions and a/c types in EK, EY, AC, QF and CA I have not found any seats comparable to SQ dare I say even in the regional J.

But just to throw in the spanner - I like EK's amenity kit tho its really the space and flatbed i'm really paying for

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            fall quite far short.

What i'm trying to say is 1-2-1 when I'm facing forward, and no part of my seat and real estate goes under the seat in front of me/is part of the real estate of the seat in front - great. We have a name for it. It's called First Class.

SQ should listen here. They are calling a product First Class that is not meeting your criteria - on all 77W aircrafts.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
              SQ should listen here. They are calling a product First Class that is not meeting your criteria - on all 77W aircrafts.
              Strictly speaking you are right - but then let's agree that the "overlap" is relatively small.

And when i say small overlap - it means just that, and my knee isn't in line with the head of the guy in front of me.

Which is true with SQ's 77W F.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                Strictly speaking you are right - but then let's agree that the "overlap" is relatively small.

And when i say small overlap - it means just that, and my knee isn't in line with the head of the guy in front of me.

Which is true with SQ's 77W F.
                Does that mean bulkhead J seats on SQ count as First Class for you?

Comment

Originally posted by chisquared View Post
                  Does that mean bulkhead J seats on SQ count as First Class for you?
                  Not quite The fella behind me is using up some of my real estate as part of his footwell.

Comment

As I said, SQ biz fares were $6,500 when I initially booked to Paris for next month. The good news is that a promo fare of $3,500 came up and I was able to snag a biz ticket for the same dates, but to AMS instead of CDG. I figure it's easy to take the Thalys to Paris Nord for about 80 euro each way and save myself $3,000.

I won't make my PPS rewewal with this more reasonable fare, but I've decided it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just happy about getting the lower promo fare. I don't think I'll miss too much without PPS.

Comment

Working...
                    X