SQ PE - Now officially launched

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if the pace of 77W refits is accelerating. Perhaps with SNC now in revenue service there's some breathing room to get planes in refit. SWI and SWO are both still inactive. If they're trying to do two 77Ws at the same time, the entire 77W refit would be done by September.

The mystery of 9V-SKA continues... last flight was mid-November. Maybe it's undergoing a heavy maintenance check? When EK's early A380s did their heavy maintenance 3C-check, it took just under two months. (Those checks started in late 2014. Is EK's fleet utilization that much higher than SQ's?)
    We'll know in about 4 weeks time if they have really hatched because of the refit (And flying 77WR routes). After all, the fact that SFO frequency is going to increase next month then is going 77WR daily by March means they need at least two frames to work with as they would with LHR, FRA, MUC/MAN.

Yup, doing some calculation, it might be a bit later than September/October depending upon the last two frames left (B, A). The 77WNs will stay as is. I think it's SQ is trying to start off 2016 right by accelerating the refit of all other 77Ws taking two frames out at a time except 1

Comment

• Also if they really accelerate the 77W refits, though all aircraft will have the new products, I wonder what will happen to those 77W routes that have the old product like IAH, GRU, etc? Could they be served by 77WNs that will get freed from LHR, MEL, and NRT, and HKG/SFO will keep the 77WN since it already has a new product. BCN is still a candidate for A350, but IAH could get 77WN depending on the number freed from other routes

Comment

• I wouldn't rule out some more routes being served with the 77WR down the road. I know that over here in MNL, SQ had advertising for PE at the check-in area... even though none of the 4x daily flights here have PE. So they're advertising PE across the network, not just PE destinations. They may do an all-77WR fleet if PE is popular enough everywhere.

IAH is a pretty good candidate for the A350 once SQ has enough planes, too. That's something of an energy route, and with oil the way it is I wouldn't be surprised if it's been losing money for a year or so.

Comment

I wouldn't rule out some more routes being served with the 77WR down the road. I know that over here in MNL, SQ had advertising for PE at the check-in area... even though none of the 4x daily flights here have PE. So they're advertising PE across the network, not just PE destinations. They may do an all-77WR fleet if PE is popular enough everywhere.

IAH is a pretty good candidate for the A350 once SQ has enough planes, too. That's something of an energy route, and with oil the way it is I wouldn't be surprised if it's been losing money for a year or so.
          But MNL can be subject to changes with regional equipment as with PVG and DXB at times. We will know if that happens only when SQ finishes SWT (That is if SWU-Z and SNA go out of service for that reason). The long haul routes are quite different however. They are trying their best to not substitute equipment, as it brings possible evidence of why they're taking two 77W out of service.

Interesting if IAH also goes 77WR in the future even in spite of it having 5 weekly service. They may only go with an all-77WR fleet if PEY gets enough positive feedback and would refit 77WN just like new products on the 77WN had enough positive feedback and demand comes that they decide to refit it.

It's pretty exciting to see what's coming in store for SQ

Comment

• Speaking of DXB, it was suppose to launch PEY the day before ICN/SFO, instead used old 77W equipment. When is that commencing? I wonder if that will go daily, I could not find any evidence of this

On a side note, AMS is scheduled to go 77WR daily from June 1 according to airlineroute.net. Seems PEY is being rolled out across parts of the network
            Last edited by SQfanatic; 8 January 2016, 03:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
              But MNL can be subject to changes with regional equipment as with PVG and DXB at times. We will know if that happens only when SQ finishes SWT (That is if SWU-Z and SNA go out of service for that reason). The long haul routes are quite different however. They are trying their best to not substitute equipment, as it brings possible evidence of why they're taking two 77W out of service.
              MNL is pretty low down the pecking order, especially when it comes to premium traffic. Right now this is what services MNL daily:

- 1x purple cabin 77E
              - 2x A330
              - 1x 77W

It's not a market that based on O&D, non-connecting traffic cries out for PE. I do agree that any 77WN to 77WR refits will take place at the very end of the programme, once the 2006 products have all been refitted.

I think what SQ wants to see how strong PE demand is on connecting traffic - i.e., are there a lot of Y bookings from MNL/KUL/BKK/CGK/other regional destinations that connect to a flight with PE.

Comment

On a side note, AMS is scheduled to go 77WR daily from June 1 according to airlineroute.net. Seems PEY is being rolled out across parts of the network
                AMS information is a complete mess. The route continues to show the 77W as the operational plane type but it is the first long-haul destination for the A350, which is due to begin in March. As soon as the A350 begins flying the route, it will have PE anyway. Why they are only releasing PE for booking from June onwards must be due to some nervousness as to when the exact date the A350 will commence. With all the fanfare of the A350 heading to AMS and DUS, I don't think they will be reverting to a 77W only a few weeks later.

They've messed about with AMS so often in the past they may be somewhat cautious about making sure it doesn't happen again. IIRC AMS was announced as going 77W three times, but the first two times it lasted only a few months before being knocked back to the 772.

Comment

MNL is pretty low down the pecking order, especially when it comes to premium traffic. Right now this is what services MNL daily:

- 1x purple cabin 77E
                  - 2x A330
                  - 1x 77W

It's not a market that based on O&D, non-connecting traffic cries out for PE. I do agree that any 77WN to 77WR refits will take place at the very end of the programme, once the 2006 products have all been refitted.

I think what SQ wants to see how strong PE demand is on connecting traffic - i.e., are there a lot of Y bookings from MNL/KUL/BKK/CGK/other regional destinations that connect to a flight with PE.
                  Destinations like MNL and CGK can often score a good aircraft on the flight pair which departs SIN in the morning and returns in the afternoon. It is simply because it fits into the gap between two long haul flights neatly- the majority of Euro flights leave late at night and then return early in the morning about 30 hours later. Rather than letting their new latest product sit on the tarmac at Changi, it gives them a chance to have it in the air to remind regional flyers why SQ is still the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    Destinations like MNL and CGK can often score a good aircraft on the flight pair which departs SIN in the morning and returns in the afternoon. It is simply because it fits into the gap between two long haul flights neatly- the majority of Euro flights leave late at night and then return early in the morning about 30 hours later. Rather than letting their new latest product sit on the tarmac at Changi, it gives them a chance to have it in the air to remind regional flyers why SQ is still the best.
                    Point. The equipment rotation on MNL (departing SIN) is 77W-A330-A330-77E. The purple cabin stays overnight to make the first flight from MNL to SIN the next day.

It's like the SQ dispatchers want to keep the purple cabin out of sight.

Comment

- 1x purple cabin 77E
                      - 2x A330
                      - 1x 77W

I don't think MNL is heavy on connecting traffic, except maybe to ANZ through SIN. They have the likes of directs on PR to the US West Coast, or 1 stop connections via HKG, NRT or TPE. CX via HKG also see significant Filipino traffic connecting to Europe and the Middle East.

As someone mentioned, the 77W and 330 were probably thrown in to rotate frames rather than sitting them idle on the tarmac in SIN. The 77W was probably used as a carrot. This flight is usually full when I had to shuttle between SIN and MNL last year for work and tickets usually booking into higher fare classes even booking weeks out, since this flight still allowed at least a decent 1/2 day work if you head straight to the office in Makati or BGC for work . Extremely popular with business traffic i would say. The 330 flights were less popular. No experience on the 77E.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        AMS information is a complete mess. The route continues to show the 77W as the operational plane type but it is the first long-haul destination for the A350, which is due to begin in March. As soon as the A350 begins flying the route, it will have PE anyway. Why they are only releasing PE for booking from June onwards must be due to some nervousness as to when the exact date the A350 will commence. With all the fanfare of the A350 heading to AMS and DUS, I don't think they will be reverting to a 77W only a few weeks later.

They've messed about with AMS so often in the past they may be somewhat cautious about making sure it doesn't happen again. IIRC AMS was announced as going 77W three times, but the first two times it lasted only a few months before being knocked back to the 772.
                        I'm starting to think if AMS will really go A350 at the end of March up to June 1? There's no point in deploying a 77W that has F and they decide to not sell F. It does sound like a mess, I know, but it's a possible prediction.

If PEY demand is that good everywhere, SQ might be like CX which has PEY on every single 77W. As for Dubai, airlineroute stated they would be using a 77WR on January 5th, but SQ's website shows Jan 12. We will have to wait and see what is happening next week.

Comment

I'm starting to think if AMS will really go A350 at the end of March up to June 1? There's no point in deploying a 77W that has F and they decide to not sell F. It does sound like a mess, I know, but it's a possible prediction.
                          SQ may be trying to upgrade its freq flyers to PE seats (but with economy service) for the first few months to entice the market, and officially selling PE from 01 Jun?

Well, they better change to the A350 by Apr as I have a flight booked on the route in May Worst case scenario, downgrade to B772ER from end March to 1 Jun (touchwood...)
                          Last edited by ycp81; 9 January 2016, 11:17 AM.
                          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                            SQ may be trying to upgrade its freq flyers to PE seats (but with economy service) for the first few months to entice the market, and officially selling PE from 01 Jun?

Well, they better change to the A350 by Apr as I have a flight booked on the route in May Worst case scenario, downgrade to B772ER from end March to 1 Jun (touchwood...)
                            Good luck if you get an A350. The chance of AMS going to a 772ER sounds slim to zero. Yup maybe they're doing it in large markets then later deciding whether to expand it to other routes in the future.

On a side note, 9V-SNC has started 77WR service to Dubai today, and according to airlineroute, suppose to operate (Saturday, Tuesday, Friday). I wonder when it will really go daily. By late next week to MLK weekend, we will surely know if SWI is still out of service undergoing refitting, and if so, sounds like more 77WR are coming in online before the peak Summer travel begins.

Comment

• 9V-SNC is flying SQ16 to SFO, evidence is more than enough to confirm the two SN birds have PEY. With enough feedback, PEY sounds popular around SQ's network so far.

Comment

Good luck if you get an A350. The chance of AMS going to a 772ER sounds slim to zero. Yup maybe they're doing it in large markets then later deciding whether to expand it to other routes in the future.

On a side note, 9V-SNC has started 77WR service to Dubai today, and according to airlineroute, suppose to operate (Saturday, Tuesday, Friday). I wonder when it will really go daily. By late next week to MLK weekend, we will surely know if SWI is still out of service undergoing refitting, and if so, sounds like more 77WR are coming in online before the peak Summer travel begins.
                                SWI went back in service today - ironically enough, it's headed for Dubai. So whatever kept it out of service, it wasn't a refit. SWO is still not flying.

Comment

Working...
                                X