Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hanoi To Singapore: Singapore Airlines Or SilkAir?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanoi To Singapore: Singapore Airlines Or SilkAir?

This question I have in me is not so much about comparing various products as it is about seeking confirmation for what I know is the logical answer.

I am booking a trip to Hanoi. Outbound is straightforward: SQ176, departing at 0920. The problem is the inbound: Do I take SQ175 (A330) that leaves HAN at 1235 or MI653 (A320) that departs six hours later at 1835?

I normally try to leave on an earlier flight and return on a later flight, so as to maximise the time overseas. I have a dilemma here because while I want the extra half day in Hanoi, I still prefer to fly in SQ metal. Apart from the lure of the Singapore Girls and the IFE, I'm not a fan of tiny A320 birds, with their 3-3 config and single narrow aisles. Smaller aircraft do not normally take too well to turbulence too. For these reasons I don't like budget airlines, unless I have no choice but to fly one.

Adding to the problem is the fact that my focus on this trip is actually Hai Phong, two hours away from Hanoi. The extra time in Vietnam will come in useful, especially if I decide to return to Hanoi on my day of departure rather than the night before.

I hate such logical vs emotional battles... What would you do if you were me?

This is in Y right?
    There is no difference between this Y seat and that Y seat unless you talk about the 10-seat across 777.

And this is not over long distances.

So go for the MI flight.
    I wouldn't pick otherwise even if it's J.
    A 1235 departure essentially kills the whole day be it for business or leisure.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
      Adding to the problem is the fact that my focus on this trip is actually Hai Phong, two hours away from Hanoi. The extra time in Vietnam will come in useful, especially if I decide to return to Hanoi on my day of departure rather than the night before.
      If you are going to Haiphong and have no need to be in Hanoi why don't you fly to HPH from/via SGN ?. That's what I used to do. When I first started traveling to Haiphong about 14 years ago there was just a single VN flight a day to SGN, and the if an A320 went tech anywhere the bar stewards used to nick the bird from the HPH flight and put everyone on a 3 hour bus trip to Noi Bai.

These days VN have multiple daily flights to SGN from HPH and one of the local LCC's fly it as well. After having one too many close shaves on long distance road trips in Vietnam (Hanoi - Haiphong, Saigon to Vung Tau etc) I decided flying whenever possible was much preferred. For Vung Tau I even thought risking those antique Russian hydrofoils were safer than the road.

Comment

As others have said, go with the schedule rather than equipment..

Comment

Hi MAN Flyer, I'm aware of VietJetAir.com's cheap flights on the SGN-HPH sector. I understand Jetstar is also able to connect me on SIN-SGN-HPH with a three-hour layover at Tan Son Nhat. That said, I do want to spend at least one night in Hanoi, which I last visited six years ago.

I have decided to fly back on MI653 so as to maximise my time in Hanoi. Not to worry about the Hanoi - Hai Phong road trip. I have survived a full-day Buon Ma Thuot - Da Lat car ride over mountain terrain so I'm sure this highway coach ride will be much more enjoyable.

I will be in Vung Tau in December for a major trade show. Maybe I will see you there. Oh yes, I'm travelling by hydrofoil.

Thank you SQueeze and mr_botak for your precious input!

Comment

BTW SIA is having a great promo now. Only $300, all in, SIN-HAN return. It is too attractive to me, so much I'm willing to forgo Tiger's 50% off for NTUC members (about $140 all in). And anyway, the SQ/MI combination offers better timing than TR.

How's your experience on the A330? SGN & HAN flights were previously served by the Boeing 777-200ER birds (9V-SV* Series), that were put to daytime regional use between European flights.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ22 View Post
              I will be in Vung Tau in December for a major trade show. Maybe I will see you there. Oh yes, I'm travelling by hydrofoil.
              For a while last year you wouldn't have been able to as they were suspended for a few months after a pretty bad accident.

Comment

Working...
              X