J cabin to JNB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J cabin to JNB

Hi all, I am 99% sure but I'd like the extra 1% for peace of mind: on the JNB route in J, the 1-2-1 layout is the same than, say, the 388, correct ? No risk to have an old cabin like on some CGK or DPS flights with old purple recliner seat and no AVOD ?
    Thanks !

I don't think it will be that 777 to replace.

If it is replaced due to operational reason of any sort, it will be with the purple slopey slant seat sent to ATH in the worst case, but more likely the new regional seat sent to DXB, AKL, etc.

I think very very remote chance it will be though.

Comment

Originally posted by Durian View Post
      Hi all, I am 99% sure but I'd like the extra 1% for peace of mind: on the JNB route in J, the 1-2-1 layout is the same than, say, the 388, correct ? No risk to have an old cabin like on some CGK or DPS flights with old purple recliner seat and no AVOD ?
      Thanks !
      Squeeze is correct. If the refitted 1-2-1 layout is replaced with a non-refit, it will be 2-2-2 but they will be what I believe are called SpaceBeds (I've never flown J!) and the IFE with definitely be AVOD. The IFE will be exactly the same content and controls but just on a smaller screen.

The bad news is that even though JNB are supposed to always have a refitted 772ER, about a third of flights in the past month have been with one of the four craft that weren't refitted (SVF, SVH, SVK, SVO). I don't know why this is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
        Squeeze is correct. If the refitted 1-2-1 layout is replaced with a non-refit, it will be 2-2-2 but they will be what I believe are called SpaceBeds (I've never flown J!) and the IFE with definitely be AVOD. The IFE will be exactly the same content and controls but just on a smaller screen.

The bad news is that even though JNB are supposed to always have a refitted 772ER, about a third of flights in the past month have been with one of the four craft that weren't refitted (SVF, SVH, SVK, SVO). I don't know why this is happening.
        Hmm... thanks SQ228 but the plot thickens here
        Excluding the new 3 1-year old 77WN, are there currently other J cabins than those on the 1-2-1 on 380/77W and 2-2-2 on 333/773 ? By other I meant older ?

As far as the reason for this, I think JNB is just not a strategic route. If you look at SVH over the past weeks, it's been allocated to all those 2nd (3rd ?) tier routes like CPH, AMS or IST, where SQ only puts old aircrafts...

Comment

Hmm... thanks SQ228 but the plot thickens here
          Excluding the new 3 1-year old 77WN, are there currently other J cabins than those on the 1-2-1 on 380/77W and 2-2-2 on 333/773 ? By other I meant older ?
          Yes there are four 772s getting around with much older J cabins- SRH, SRJ, SRK, SRL. These planes have an old 2-3-2 layout are mostly confined to DPS but also fly to SGN, MNL, PUS and BKK on and off. They appear likely to be slowly phased out some time during 2015 as more A330s arrive.
          As far as the reason for this, I think JNB is just not a strategic route. If you look at SVH over the past weeks, it's been allocated to all those 2nd (3rd ?) tier routes like CPH, AMS or IST, where SQ only puts old aircrafts...
          This situation is a bit confusing so I will explain more. During 2013, SQ refitted 9 of their 772ER SV* series. There were meant to be 10, but the last one never happened. This was to give their 2nd tier Euro destinations, JNB and NZ a better product while they wait on new craft. The refits are SVB, SVC, SVE, SVG, SVI, SVJ, SVL, SVM and SVN. They were meant to cover AMS, JNB/CPT, IST, CPH, FCO, CHC in that order of priority, as well as filling in their gaps with flights to BOM, SYD and other shorter regionals.

During 2013 and early 2014, SQ received back all remaining leased SV* series from Royal Brunei. While SVA and SVD never returned to service, SVF rejoined the SQ fleet. There are now four non-refit 772ER flying about: SVF, SVH, SVK, SVO. These were supposed to be assigned AKL's second flight and regional routes as well as ATH when flights recommenced, but in the last couple of months they have been flying to a lot of the destinations that were meant to get the refitted planes, such as JNB, FCO and IST. I think this is due to capacity increases on IST, CPH and FCO as well as some of the refits being out of action. SVJ appears to be currently grounded.

Comment

While obviously preferable to have the latest 1-2-1 JCL cabins I wouldn't have a problem if I was on the good old SpaceBed equipped SV* birds. Maybe out of nostalgia I suppose as I spent an awful lot of time in those seats and managed to sleep pretty well in them.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
              While obviously preferable to have the latest 1-2-1 JCL cabins I wouldn't have a problem if I was on the good old SpaceBed equipped SV* birds. Maybe out of nostalgia I suppose as I spent an awful lot of time in those seats and managed to sleep pretty well in them.
              Interesting to hear that as normally it's J flyers who deplore the purple cabin on the 772ERs. As a Y traveller, I almost prefer the old cabin. The refit in Y gave a slightly bigger IFE screen and new seat covers and the new seat covers are far less comfortable than the old ones.

Did these planes previously serve CDG and ZRH or were they always 744 prior to going 77W?

Comment

I hate the old Y seats. They hurt my behind

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  Did these planes previously serve CDG and ZRH or were they always 744 prior to going 77W?
                  CDG and ZRH were 744, which had the SpaceBeds anyway. Before MAN got the daily nonstop 772ERs SQ345 went MAN-ZRH-SIN on Tuesday and Thursday, and of course SQ346 the other way on Monday and Wednesday. Those ZRH-MAN-ZRH legs used to be a favourite for PPS sector runs in the days before PPSV for those on the (then very cheap) CRTWSTAR tickets.

Comment

Working...
                  X