New 77W's on Sydney and Jakarta Flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 77W's on Sydney and Jakarta Flights

I understand that the new 777-300ER's are regularly scheduled on the London and Shanghai flights (and Tokyo, right?), but I've noticed 9V-SWU, 9V-SWV and 9V-SWW doing unscheduled flights to Jakarta and Sydney occasionally. Just operational requirements? I heard they are using them on the Jakarta flight in order to compete with other airlines on the busy route, but can anyone confirm this? Any advertisements by SQ in Jakarta about the 77W's? And also, any ideas on when they shall be deployed on the Sydney flight?
    Fly well,
    Travel safe,
    And have a pleasant journey.

Originally posted by SQ747 View Post
    I heard they are using them on the Jakarta flight in order to compete with other airlines on the busy route, but can anyone confirm this? Any advertisements by SQ in Jakarta about the 77W's?
    I'd be really surprised if they need their top-notch product to compete on an hour-long flight...

Comment

And they can't really sell it as a plus if they don't consistently fly it on that route.

Comment

For whatever reason, SQ is absolutely determined to place these planes on SQ318/9 to LHR and SQ638/7 to NRT.

SQ638/7 operates pretty much self-sufficiently, with a 6 hour turnaround at SIN, there's nothing else you can do with that plane other than notionally allocate it to that flight pair alone, unless you can find a 1900 departure and a 2200 return and pair it up such as SQ285/6 to AKL, but then you need an additional plane.

SQ318 leaves SIN at 1245 and returns as SQ319 at 1630 the following day. In order to utilise that operational gap, you need a flight that leaves SIN at 1800 or later and returns by about 1100 the next morning.

That's where BOM was perfect- the flight it used to be allocated to slotted in exactly within this timeframe. Now that BOM has gone A380, there's no other flight pair that meets those criteria and requires a 77W.

SYD did get the new product one day recently, but on the same day, LHR was bumped down to a regular 77W.

I've tried searching for a partner flight for SQ318/9 but other than short hops to the likes of CGK or BKK, I can't find anything. SQ1/2 would work perfectly once 9V-SWY arrives, because the dep. and arr. times match, HKG is a good destination, but because this is also an SFO flight, you need an extra plane in the rotation to complete that leg.

CGK has a strong F market, based on the prevalence of 773 refits and the fact they kept old SQF limping back and forth for so long just to have an F cabin available, so maybe that's why it gets chosen.
        Last edited by SQ228; 14 July 2014, 06:09 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          For whatever reason, SQ is absolutely determined to place these planes on SQ318/9 to LHR and SQ638/7 to NRT.
          Unless you're TG, that's what you've generally committed yourself to by advertising the new products as flying a certain route!

Comment

9V-SWW will make an appearance on SQ231/222 tomorrow.

Comment

I've tried searching for a partner flight for SQ318/9 but other than short hops to the likes of CGK or BKK, I can't find anything. SQ1/2 would work perfectly once 9V-SWY arrives, because the dep. and arr. times match, HKG is a good destination, but because this is also an SFO flight, you need an extra plane in the rotation to complete that leg.
              Anyone knows when will SWY arrive?

Comment

Am going to CGK via singapore in sept too. So would love to hear if anyone can find a source that SQ 222 will be the new first class would be great ;-))) then I shall chnage my flight for this

Comment

I am booked J class to Sydney on 231 on 26 July (next Sat). Anyways to predict whether I might get lucky with a ride on one of the new 77Ws?

Comment

Originally posted by Short Final View Post
                    I am booked J class to Sydney on 231 on 26 July (next Sat). Anyways to predict whether I might get lucky with a ride on one of the new 77Ws?
                    Since the flight was downgauged on May 30, it has been flown by a new 77W only four times. It has, however, been flown by an old refitted SY* series 773 a total of 6 times, so your chance of a downgrade in IFE is more likely than an upgrade to the new seat. Sorry...

Comment

noted that SQ638/637 was downgraded to a mere 773 several days ago (and also 30/5). Hoping it won't happen to me.

Comment

Since the flight was downgauged on May 30, it has been flown by a new 77W only four times. It has, however, been flown by an old refitted SY* series 773 a total of 6 times, so your chance of a downgrade in IFE is more likely than an upgrade to the new seat. Sorry...
                        Uhhhh... that's ridiculous, especially since the equipment was originally a A380 when I booked the flight.

Thanks for the info. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Is there anyway to tell in advance that a downgrade is about to happen? I made a dummy booking on the webiste for my flight on SQ 231 on July 26 and it is still showing 77W when click to choose a seat. Can I take any comfort in this? Or do the downgrades happen without warning?

Sure makes a difference trying to sleep on the long haul seat versus the regional seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Short Final View Post
                            Is there anyway to tell in advance that a downgrade is about to happen? I made a dummy booking on the webiste for my flight on SQ 231 on July 26 and it is still showing 77W when click to choose a seat. Can I take any comfort in this? Or do the downgrades happen without warning?

Sure makes a difference trying to sleep on the long haul seat versus the regional seat.
                            This sucks. I did another dummy booking today and indeed my flight is now downgraded to a 773. Booooo!

Will see about switching to a different flight.

@SQ228, you're too good at your predictions!

Comment

Working...
                            X