Singapore Airlines cutting back on A380 services to Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines cutting back on A380 services to Australia

Singapore Airlines will reduce its A380 services to Sydney and Melbourne, leading to a further cut in capacity on the Australia-Singapore route following recent changes to Qantas Airways' schedule.

From May 30, Singapore Airlines will offer one daily A380 return flight from Sydney to Singapore rather than two and from October 26, it will no longer offer a daily A380 service from Melbourne to Singapore.

A Singapore Airlines spokeswoman said the flights would be downgauged to 777-300ERs as a result of operational requirements across the airline's network.

Singapore Airlines is deploying A380s into the Indian market for the first time from late May after that nation's aviation regulator rescinded a longstanding ban on the aircraft.

The 777-300ERs that will be deployed on the Sydney and Melbourne flights have 278 seats, versus the 471 available on Singapore Airlines's A380s.

The smaller aircraft also lacks the spacious first class suites available on the A380. However, Singapore Airlines will maintain its frequencies of four flights a day from Singapore to Sydney and to Melbourne.

The spokeswoman could not comment on whether the A380 services would be reinstated in the future.

Singapore Airlines has been struggling to fill seats on flights to Australia after a steep increase in capacity, with its load factor on flights to the South West Pacific region falling to 74.3 per cent in March from 77.4 per cent last year.

Qantas, facing similar issues, in February announced it would cancel flights from Perth to Singapore and reduce the size of aircraft on its Sydney-Singapore and Brisbane-Singapore routes to A330s from larger 747s.

Falling yields

The overcapacity on the Australia-Singapore route, also serviced by budget carriers Jetstar, Scoot and Tigerair, has led to a decline in yields, or returns on fares.

Singapore Airlines is offering economy-class return fares from Sydney to Singapore from $746, while Qantas has fares of $699 on offer on the route.

The New Zealand-Singapore direct market is far less competitive. The Singapore Competition Commission has approved a proposed alliance between Singapore Airlines and Air New Zealand on the route.

The regulator found the alliance, which is meant to help the carriers better compete against the Qantas/Emirates partnership, could raise competition concerns but those would be offset by net economic benefits to Singapore.

Jetstar, the only competition to Singapore Airlines on the Auckland-Singapore route, announced it would abandon the route from July after the Singapore Airlines/Air NZ alliance was proposed in January.

Air NZ hasn't been flying the Auckland-Singapore route but will reintroduce services as part of the alliance.

The Singapore Airlines/Air NZ alliance is still subject to approval from New Zealand's Ministry of Transport.

Tourism New Zealand has argued in favour of the alliance despite Jetstar's decision to exit the Auckland-Singapore route, saying the overall capacity increase as a result of the alliance will have a significant net benefit to New Zealand.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/av...422-37156.html

Quite a big change all this, and shows they really can't make their minds up what to do with these Whales. More importantly it shows that Suites and First in general just don't seem to be working at the moment. Maybe time for a 'class behind First (or Raffles)'.

I am not surprised SQ231 has lost the 380. That route has seemed to struggle with First going back to when it was operated by a 744. I haven't flown it for a couple of years now but my Mum has recently and her last two flights had her alone on one and one other pax on the other.

As for poor old MEL, still getting messed around.

Here is the updated schedule from airlineroute :

Due to aircraft redeployment, Singapore Airlines is gradually reducing Airbus A380 operations to Australia. Planned service changes as follow.

Singapore – Sydney eff 30MAY14 A380 operation reduced from 2 to 1 daily
    SQ231 SIN0045 – 1025SYD 77W D
    SQ241 SIN0705 – 1645SYD 772 D
    SQ211 SIN0925 – 1905SYD 773 D
    SQ221 SIN2015 – 0555+1SYD 388 D

SQ212 SYD0640 – 1300SIN 773 D
    SQ232 SYD1115 – 1740SIN 388 D
    SQ222 SYD1515 – 2140SIN 77W D
    SQ242 SYD1800 – 0020+1SIN 772 D

Singapore – Melbourne eff 26OCT14 1 daily A380 operation cancelled
    SQ207 SIN0745 – 1815MEL 333 D
    SQ217 SIN1045 – 2115MEL 77W D
    SQ227 SIN2115 – 0745+1MEL 77W D
    SQ237 SIN2350 – 1020+1MEL 773 D

SQ218 MEL0105 – 0545SIN 77W D
    SQ238 MEL1130 – 1610SIN 773 D
    SQ228 MEL1645 – 2125SIN 77W D
    SQ208 MEL1930 – 0015+1SIN 333 D

Comment

I am "glad" this has it's own thread after it was discussed in the http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14036 thread.

Leaving MEL with no A380 is very very bad! Yes the 77W is pretty much the same in Business and Economy, although with a much louder cabin and no large business class lavatory

So MEL now has 2 x 77W flights, a 773 and 330

They should have removed the 330 flight and left the 380 on the route, although on my flights I haven't seen that many people in Suites (usually 1-3) and the 380 has to sit on the ground in MEL for 10+ hours which is a waste.

But yes MEL gets stuffed around yet again, and I look forward to EK introducing a 2nd A380 to MEL at some stage soon (I read somewhere it was on the cards)

Not happy at all as I just switched my credit card earning from Qantas/Emirates to Singapore, but given this, I have started to move my points earning back to Qantas/Emirates now.

Any paid bookings I make to Europe will likely now be on Qantas/Emirates instead of Singapore!

Not happy!

Comment

I flew SQ217 home to MEL yesterday.

A Wednesday flight, arguably one of the slowest days of the week for passenger demand, in a not particularly busy time of year, especially compared with July/August or December/January.

Both Y cabins packed solid, not a spare seat to be seen anywhere.

Where were the majority of passengers transferring from? DEL and BOM.

So once the reducation in capacity to MEL goes ahead in order to give the A380 to an Indian destination, how will those extra passengers from DEL and BOM fit onto the flights to MEL which are already at capacity?

Of course I am only considering this from the point of view of Y loadings, so my guess is the answer lies in the economics of the premium cabins.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          Of course I am only considering this from the point of view of Y loadings, so my guess is the answer lies in the economics of the premium cabins.
          My guess is the answer lies in purely bad management.

Comment

Originally posted by Unionruler View Post
            I'm curious how you derived at that conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Unionruler View Post
              Are you gunning to be the next CEO at SQ?

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              I'm curious how you derived at that conclusion.
              I wonder as well.

Comment

That Wenesday you refer to, the one preceding the Labor Day long weekend, might have something to do with it...

I'd say it's anything but 'arguably one of the slowest'.

Comment

Working...
                X